Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big influential acts you have no desire to ever listen to

Started by The Mollusk, July 07, 2021, 10:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Radiohead

I know they're all musical geniuses and their music is incredible. Its also charmless, lacking in all charisma, overly considered and frankly just boring.

Blur

Oasis

At the height of Britpop you were always asked which you liked and the music press constantly squabbled over who was better. I was one of those who took a step back and came to the conclusion both were utter, utter shite.

Pauline Walnuts

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: sutin on July 07, 2021, 01:44:57 PM
David Bowie. I was well into my 30s before checking him out and it all felt like weaker versions of music I already loved. Maybe if i'd heard him properly decades earlier i'd feel different, but I didn't. Liked him as a dude though, i'd much rather listen to Bowie interviews than any of his records.

*runs away*
Yup. I was briefly in a relationship with a lovely lass and she was a big fan, so because I was a big fan of her, I tried to listen to a few things. But I've never really wanted to again, and I'd never put on an album of his for fun.

peanutbutter

Zappa, nothing I ever heard done that much for me and I find his humour insufferable, wouldn't even know enough about his sound to have an approximation of what he sounds like but I've 0 desire to ever listen to any more.

Is he even influential on anything I actually like? I'm not sure.

Pauline Walnuts

The first Faust album?

That guy who did Frankie's in Town? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJPK35hChAk

I kinda like him, but it's a musical dead end.

The Fall.

I didn't much time in my life to listen to a Manc tramp ranting random bollocks over some angular post punk when I was in my 20s and unsurprisingly I have even less time for that now I'm middle aged.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 07, 2021, 11:07:05 AM
Steely Dan About ten years ago I wrote a horrible review of The Nightfly on Amazon and for the decade since I have been receiving aghast correspondence from Dan fans. So, admittedly, I've sort of painted myself into a corner with them where I won't ever give them a fair shake. But their meta approach to doing overly sophisticated and 'well-recorded' pop rock leaves me ice cold. It's always a strange thing when undeniable talent fails to hit the mark. There's nothing anyone can really say to dent this: I've tried their music, and I've listened to Gregg Turkington talk about his recent conversion to them after years of entrenched hate, but I remain unmoved.

It's all about the lyrics about bumping into your ex wife at a baseball game in your hometown or whatever with steely Dan. The production stuff is fine, but tyre arch lyrics are what make them fun to me

Natnar

Nirvana Kurt topping himself made the band seem more exciting than their dull and bland music actually was.

Spiteface

Quote from: Natnar on July 07, 2021, 10:57:54 PM
Nirvana Kurt topping himself made the band seem more exciting than their dull and bland music actually was.

I'm sure had he not done it, at some point in the second half of the 90s he would have "lost it" and then by the late 2000s every album he put out would be "a stunning return to form"

kalowski

Queen - hate them. Hate Freddie the entertainer, arch badger Bryan May and his knitting needle whammy bar, arrogant Deacon and ultra arrogant public school boy Roger Taylor.
Hate them.

who cares

"he made his guitar out of a fireplace you know"

well maybe he should have lit the fire and put it back on

who cares

It's hard to calculate what the worst bit of Queen's music is, but I suspect it's the guitar solo in I Want to Break Free. Two minutes of Freddie's overblown vocal posturing and then that. Like a constipated chimp doing a series of painful farts.

madhair60

fantastic sneering thread mate, unfortunately can't contribute as I enjoy everything

the science eel

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on July 07, 2021, 05:40:18 PM
I've never heard The Grateful Dead (SF jam band psychedelia not really my thing) nor Steely Dan (read an interview with them years ago which really put me off them).

Not a huge fan of either band but both their debuts have tunes and energy which wasn't a feature of anything that came after (the stuff everybody blabs on about, in other words).

My nomination for this would be Prince

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: kalowski on July 08, 2021, 06:50:34 AM
Queen - hate them. Hate Freddie the entertainer, arch badger Bryan May and his knitting needle whammy bar, arrogant Deacon and ultra arrogant public school boy Roger Taylor.
Hate them.
Do you like their music though?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

In what way is John Deacon, surely one of the most unassuming musicians to ever be involved with a globe-straddling stadium rock band, arrogant?

That massive fluffy mushroom hair-do he sported in the '80s was admittedly quite ostentatious. But apart from that, he's the archetypal boring bassist, isn't he?

buttgammon

Quote from: the science eel on July 08, 2021, 09:34:11 AM
My nomination for this would be Prince

That's another one. In theory, I should like Prince, but there's something about his music that leaves me cold. It sounds weirdly hollow.

daf

Quote from: who cares on July 08, 2021, 09:31:05 AM
It's hard to calculate what the worst bit of Queen's music is, but I suspect it's the guitar solo in I Want to Break Free. Two minutes of Freddie's overblown vocal posturing and then that. Like a constipated chimp doing a series of painful farts.

Fun fact : That's actually a keyboard part - played by Fred Mandel on a Roland Jupiter-8.

Quote from: Fred Mandel"The solo was done in one take, apart from the last note that goes down a whole octave where I had to reset my Jupiter 8 (it was set up for guitar lines because when I'm playing synthesizer like that, I'm thinking with my guitar brain). Credit to Mack's incredible engineering skills that he was able to catch that one note with the technology available at the time. The rest was impromptu and the reality is, I've never played that solo again as it just came out of my head. I had no idea until afterwards that there was a precedence of nobody ever having played a Queen solo except Brian. I would never do anything to interfere with my relationship with Brian, but I believe he thinks it's a good solo as part of the tune... and he's still doing a great job of playing it live on guitar! The final note is that we're still friends!"

Quote from: Bryant & May "I wasn't too happy at the time, but I gave it my blessing. That's the deal."

The bendy bits are done using the thynthethither's 'wobble knob'

lankyguy95

I don't hate Queen but I've never heard a guitar tone like Brian May's that sounded genuinely smug. I'm not even sure how, it just...does.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: lankyguy95 on July 08, 2021, 10:30:58 AM
I don't hate Queen but I've never heard a guitar tone like Brian May's that sounded genuinely smug. I'm not even sure how, it just...does.

I feel that this might be one of those "once it's pointed out to you, you cannot ignore it things" for me, although tbh I'm hardly a fan, they do a good soundtrack though.

phantom_power

Apart from the odd song the big ROCK! bands don't interest me, Queen, Zep, The Who. For the latter two it is the screechy voice that grates the most but the music doesn't really move me either

Spiteface

AC/DC

When did THAT become an acceptable vocal style?

Also all their songs are shit and sound the same.

Neville Chamberlain

Despite being a massive influence on so much of the music I love, Zappa is one influential musician I couldn't give one sweaty bollock about. I can't put my finger on it but, quite apart from the dismal humour, I find his music so completely shallow, hollow, the ultimate in 'hey look at me aren't I jolly clever!', whether it's the shitty doo-wop or the more noodly stuff. I know Tim Smith, my most beloved musician of all time, was a big Zappa fan, but Tim seemed to use Zappa merely as a portal to a whole new musical dimension, one that was so much more diverse, richer, deeper and downright soulful than anything Zappa could muster.

Is this a good place to mention The Beatles? I can see the eye-rolling already, but I don't think they deserve to occupy some pedestal, immune from all criticism. Actually, I find them perfectly listenable for the most part (unlike Zappa), but - as with Zappa - I find I prefer bands who count The Beatles among their influences (Cardiacs included).

Post-Barrett Pink Floyd are bloody awful. And that's scientific fact.

Like a lot of people here, couldn't give a stuff about Led Zep, Black Sabbath and all that nonsense. Just sounds so fucking turgid. A mate of mine put some Led Zep on the jukebox in a pub in Brum and my main thought was, 'Is that it?'.

Neville Chamberlain

And to all those cloth-eared halfwits mentioning The Fall, might I suggest you've all been listening to the wrong albums? ;-)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Spiteface on July 08, 2021, 11:21:30 AM
Also all their songs are shit and sound the same.

I think they all sound the same but aren't shit (see also: Smashing Pumpkins up until Mellon Collie), I'd say Status Quo are more fitting for "shit and sound the same"

idunnosomename

Quote from: daf on July 08, 2021, 09:56:27 AM
Fun fact : That's actually a keyboard part - played by Fred Mandel on a Roland Jupiter-8.

The bendy bits are done using the thynthethither's 'wobble knob'
oh i didnt know that. As he says Brian plays it on his own live and you just assume he did it the studio with more effects.

Kankurette

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 08, 2021, 11:28:06 AM
And to all those cloth-eared halfwits mentioning The Fall, might I suggest you've all been listening to the wrong albums? ;-)
Which albums are the right ones? There's like five billion of them.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 08, 2021, 11:35:47 AM
oh i didnt know that. As he says Brian plays it on his own live and you just assume he did it the studio with more effects.

Yeah get that one to the fucked hat thread on the double!

Dirty Boy

Re: Zappa, i was a big Zappa fan in my younger days and still like some of it, mainly MOI-era. he was a gateway to me getting into a lot of other Prog and weirdo music that i'm far more likely to reach for nowadays.

I read something once that said most of Zappa's music sounded like it was "in inverted commas" which stuck with me. It's that technical, studious, show-offy thing combined with the arch (and often plain hateful) "liberal baiting" lyrics. Throw in the horrendous production on some of those post 70's records and his lack of quality control and predilection for endless guitar spoo and yeah, there's an awful lot of shite.

Beefheart definitely won (you like Beefheart right, Nev?)