Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Prefab Sprout

Started by TheMonk, July 07, 2021, 11:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: jobotic on July 07, 2021, 12:35:20 PM
Bonny is lovely.

When I was young I bracketed them in with Deacon Blue for some reason. Wasn't until about five years ago I noticed how good they were.

DB always seemed like a rather cynical attempt to copy the Sprouts, even down to having dual male and female vocalists, but lacking Paddy's songwriting quirks and lyrical bite. And they always looked so ridiculously self-satisfied.

PlanktonSideburns

I bet its madhair60s favourate song

Neomod

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 08, 2021, 06:25:37 PM
DB always seemed like a rather cynical attempt to copy the Sprouts, even down to having dual male and female vocalists, but lacking Paddy's songwriting quirks and lyrical bite. And they always looked so ridiculously self-satisfied.

I saw DB at the Brighton Top Rank back in the late 80's. The g/f enjoyed that Raintown album and as I was working for Virgin at the time I could get cheapo tickets. The lead singer proved himself to be an insufferable prick throughout the gig.

So also lacking Paddy's charm and humility as well.

phantom_power

I have grown to like DB more as I have got older, but only when hearing them. If I see them on TOTP or anything I just want them to fuck off. The lead singer looks so smug.

It is a good game to play; name a song and the others have to remember if it was by Prefab Sprout, Deacon Blue or Aztec Camera. Us music lovers would find it easy but for others it is surprisingly tricky

Echo Valley 2-6809

Deacon Blue not a patch on peak Prefab.

Jenny Agutter's "I want you"s half way through Wild Horses are as enticing now as they were when I first heard the song 20 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv_jxrAMThI

From when McAloon was arguably past his songwriting peak, Electric Guitars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-KIHpU2Ly8 - perhaps the greatest song about pop stardom/Beatlemania. (Video features Phil Cornwell as Slade's Dave Hill and other icons.)

BlodwynPig

Cars and girls is a beautiful track now, back in the day i lumped it in the 'pop fodder' category. Same with jumping frog. There is a depth that takes mature ears to appreciate

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 15, 2021, 07:08:26 AM
Cars and girls is a beautiful track now, back in the day i lumped it in the 'pop fodder' category. Same with jumping frog. There is a depth that takes mature ears to appreciate

I love the lyrics about being famous in Electric Guitars

We were songbirds, we were Greek gods, we were singled out by Fate
We were quoted out of context, it was great!

and being mobbed

Mascara meltdown, hysteria a-go-go

Johnboy

Twenty years ago, backpacking around Australia I picked up a tape of Steve McQueen for a dollar in a thrift store.

Listened to it twice a day, just constantly _ i never did it as much to an album before or since - something very emotional about the whole thing

I was planning to clear out my music collection when I got home, strip things down, only listen to stuff I absolutely loved.

Spent the noughties gathering CDrs and mp3 - thousands of songs I never bothered or wanted to listen to.

anyway, love the sprouts - wish I'd seen them live

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" Steve McQueen" was also an album I listened to twice a day, albeit back in 1985   on original release. I used to alternate it with listening of the preceeding album " Swoon" ( also bought that year) and The Fall's " This Nation's Saving Grace" ( also released that year).I think the only other album I gave such repeated listening to that very year was Microdisney's " The Clock Comes Down The Stairs". I remember listening to a John Peel session that year inclusive of " Cars and Girls" and really not being that impressed.

I also saw Prefab Sprout live for my one and only time that year. Most tracks from both albums played, and " Lions In My Own Garden. " The ' Sprouts were on form, and
Wendy Smith, of course , looked uncannily like the actress Joanne Pierce. As if in acknowledgement of this fact, the band played the theme from top failed Mel Smith and Griff Rhys- Jones comedy film " Morons From Outer Space" as an encore.

My contribution to Urban Blues The thread there, with only one falsehood put in.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 16, 2021, 12:25:49 PM
My contribution to Urban Blues The thread there, with only one falsehood put in.

It wasn't easy but I think I've spotted it.

Moderately interesting: McAloon is a friend of the sports journalist Giles Smith, and suggested the titles for both the compilations of his articles, 'We Need To Talk About Kevin Keegan' and 'Midnight in the Garden of Evel Knievel'.

PlanktonSideburns

Just listened to that electric guitars song

That is possibly the lamest thing I've ever heard, cask strength naffness there. Neil sadaka. Calling Occupants Of Interplanitery Craft. My ears took one hell of a beating

McChesney Duntz

You'll come around.

Or maybe you won't. But I will say that just about all the biggest Sproutheads in my life started out not "getting" them before suddenly becoming rabidly devout. ("Electric Guitars" probably isn't the best place to start either way.)

Echo Valley 2-6809

It's got a good beat.

sevendaughters

I think Prefab Sprout are similar to Scritti not just inasmuch as they're sophistipop autodidacts, but they had similar career arcs: scrappy early stuff, their one undeniable perfect statement in 1985, some quality with some absolute dross later on, not done enough since 1990 but held in the highest regard nonetheless. I'm ignoring Megahertz as it is a rebadged solo album as well as Scritti's early stuff being mint.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 16, 2021, 04:34:54 PM
You'll come around.

Or maybe you won't. But I will say that just about all the biggest Sproutheads in my life started out not "getting" them before suddenly becoming rabidly devout. ("Electric Guitars" probably isn't the best place to start either way.)

Yea I can imagine getting turned. Lots of music from the 80s and 90s has started to be revealed to me as I get older

Where start with sprout?

sevendaughters

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 18, 2021, 12:21:27 PM
Yea I can imagine getting turned. Lots of music from the 80s and 90s has started to be revealed to me as I get older

Where start with sprout?

Steve McQueen

McChesney Duntz

Steve McQueen (or, as it was known in the States for some reason, Two Wheels Good), is ace indeed. But you might do as I did and head into them via Swoon - you won't have to deal with uber-eighties Thomas Dolby production (which, to be clear, is wonderful and a perfect match, but might be a barrier for immediate entry at this late date), and the songs are all energetic and strong with that great making-my-first-and-maybe-only-album urgency. Everything through Jordan: The Comeback is well worth your time, I believe.

PlanktonSideburns

Totally down with dolby and his production.gave Steve McQueen a go, I'm not there yet, but got me to listen to dissident by dolby again, what a banger

crankshaft

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 18, 2021, 05:27:44 PM
Totally down with dolby and his production.gave Steve McQueen a go, I'm not there yet, but got me to listen to dissident by dolby again, what a banger

Anyone going on a Sprout deep dive should absolutely factor in listening to Thomas Dolby's The Golden Age Of Wireless and The Flat Earth. The latter is very good but the former is one of the great albums of its era.

PlanktonSideburns

People talking trash about Deacon Blue. I feel like I should stick up for them, if only for their songwriter :(
A couple of songs on "fellow hoodlums" and "ooh las vegas" stuck with me for various reasons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIRGY5OP3I

but, I'm thinking, why aren't people talking about Martin Stephenson, and since they're not, why do I associate him so much with Prefab Sprout?

https://daintees.bandcamp.com/album/boat-to-bolivia
https://daintees.bandcamp.com/album/the-boys-heart
https://daintees.bandcamp.com/album/gladsome-humour-blue

When I get the urge to kick over the traces and eat my own brains, this goes on. Imagine ... the slow run up, rolling up joints, lining up shots, slowly tearing off my shirt, setting up a big row of dominoes so I can just absolutely flip them to smithereens, slapping myself high five silly into the mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSysQdbUyCs

Neomod

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 22, 2021, 06:52:08 AM
I'm thinking, why aren't people talking about Martin Stephenson, and since they're not, why do I associate him so much

Both from the north east aren't they.

Love Boat to Bolivia. Got Handsome Humour and Blue too.

Two of my favourites.

Crocodile Cryer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcHdWLCmlkg

Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJot5NoKOc8

SpiderChrist

Listening to Jordan: The Comeback for the first time in a while. My days. Think I prefer it to Steve McQueen if I'm honest.

We Let The Stars Go has reduced me to a blubbering mess.

Carnival 2000

QuoteTonight let's raise a glass, my friends, to those who couldn't make it

aaaaaaaand I'm off blubbering again.

I Trawl The Megahertz next, I reckon.