Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:06:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adaptations of Iain M. Banks The Culture novels

Started by Endicott, July 07, 2021, 07:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

I stumbled on this by accident after re-reading the title novella The State Of The Art in the book of short stories of the same name. Done on R4 and adapted by Paul Cornell. It's accurate enough to be worth a punt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRl9D_agLbU

Anyone know of any others?

the hum

Amazon bought the rights to an adaptation of Consider Phlebas a few years back, but the project was cancelled last year (seem to recall reading owing to some kind of intervention from Banks' estate, but might be wrong about that).

mothman

I imagine that Banks himself would take a dim view of Bezos, and Amazon's tax position. And sadly his death also deprived us of his views on Elon Musk.

Milo

I hate hate HATE that Elon Musk uses Culture ship names, it makes me very cross.

I think Transition has some stuff in it that I suspect mirrored Banks' views on the sort of Amazon business where different realities can be differentiated by whether or not they invent the Public Limited Company. State of the Art has some nice stuff about the Contact economists trying to make sense of what the hell is going on with Earth. "them and their commodities..."

I'll have a look at that link later, thanks. Don't think I know of any other adaptations at all, audiobooks aside. Seems a shame, I reckon the stories could work well with the right people involved.

Mister Six

Tried listening to that radio adaptation - well, I assume it's the same one - years ago and gave up quickly. The cast and director seemed to think they were doing the new Hitch-Hiker's Guide or something, so it was all wacky voices and such. Put me right off it.