Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Slipping back into mental illness

Started by tookish, July 08, 2021, 04:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I'll add though - maybe err my friend would use it (though he'd probably like some kind of anonymous posting ability), and there are definitely posters here where I can see them being in distress and short of PMing them (which I used to do, but less so these days because I don't have as much time and because it's fucking presumptuous) it would be nice to hear how they are and speak with them about this. Maybe err my friend would feel comfortable enough to join in, who knows.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Give my regards and well wishes to your friend Err.

Ferris

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 23, 2021, 03:31:15 AM
Give my regards and well wishes to your friend Err.

From what I understand, his career change and lifestyle overhaul has done him an incredible amount of good and a lot of his more severe issues have evaporated into the ether but he still isn't (and likely won't ever be) 100% and that's fine (or so says my err friend).

Jockice

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 23, 2021, 12:35:37 AM
Would people use it?  I think people are already really worried or anxious about starting those kinds of threads, so you get ones like this being bumped instead.

I'll think it over, it sounds like it could be useful for people. Trying to think if there's anything else that such a subforum could cover.

I think a general health forum would be a good idea Barry. Because not all illness can be classified as purely mental or purely physical, they sometimes feed into each other etc. It's a pretty complicated business health. Extremely so.

Kudos to Tookish and a couple of others on here for being so open about their mental problems though, especially among people who may or may not understand and could misinterpret openness as attention-seeking or suchlike. It's a big risk doing that sort of thing but I'm sure posters would be prepared to be civil on a dedicated forum.

As for a title how about Get Over Yourself?  Not a joke, although you can take it as one. In fact you can take it any way you want.

Flouncer

I've vented a lot (and received some useful advice) on here over the years - as far as I'm concerned it's kind of an essential function of the place. I don't think starting a subforum would be a great idea, to be honest. I feel as though tucking it away on a subforum that in all likelihood wouldn't get a great deal of traffic kind of defeats the object; mental health stuff seems to fit quite nicely under the umbrella of General Bullshit where it's out in the open and can be seen and responded to by the most people. Putting it somewhere else seems counter-productive to me.

madhair60

Slept on it and I have to agree with the above actually. I wouldn't be opposed to a mental health forum, but I've found this place as-is has been so great about mental health in general (obvious exceptions exist but they get called out) that sidelining it to a subforum or whatever might have the opposite of the intended effect

Gregory Torso

Yeah, you're right. It wouldn't be necessary (and trolling is something I didn't think about, naively probably not a good idea to have people laying their souls out bare naked just for some knob to come along and make a shit bants joke). I just personally feel well awks la making posts out in the open about the horrible state of my mind.

By the way, I'm quitting the booze for realz. From today. Fuck off, alcohol. see ya x

Buelligan

ETA - Oh Torso, really happy for you (on that booze thing), never feel awks, old thing, we all break sometimes.  All of us.

My concerns would be, as already mentioned, trolling (although unlikely, it is a worry) but far more, the community at large missing it out altogether.  Maybe this isn't a problem at all but I'd be concerned about putting people out of sight and separate.  Support is important, well, it is for me anyway (and I'm a pretty self-sufficient one on the whole).  So I'd worry about that.  Open to all thoughts though, hearing everyone on this is probably the way to find a good path.

Barry Admin

Yeah, I thought about it more last night, and my gut feeling was basically, "why not use GB, as has always been done? If people feel awkward about starting such a thread there, shy would they start one in a new subforum?"

And if likely would have been a "child board", and yet I hadn't even considered what's been said above about stuff potentially being missed. Good input, thanks folks.

Vinnie01

I never been sure about another forum for mental health issues, as GB seems to be a place that talks of it.

Going to a mental health team actually takes courage particularly when you are really ill. People should often speak about it as well and should not be mocked even on the forums.
Only my CPN knows what I am really dealing with as it is not mentioned in detail to many people.

Flouncer

I'm glad you're getting some help Vinnie and it's great that you feel able to talk about it on here. I'm not really getting any help from the mental health services at the moment but I am at least under the care of the adult autism service; I've had a few contacts with them in recent months. They assigned me a social worker early last year, who I saw a few times, but then the pandemic messed that up and I was discharged from her caseload. Hopefully the services will at least return to their previous state before too long, once they've worked through the backlog.

Vinnie01

They just assigned me a social worker too. Who I am due to meet next week.

I seen my CPN since May when I 1st had an appointment with her.

Mine was described as PTSD from an email friend due to her own experience. I think may been triggered by the 1st visit to the cafe at Letchworth Leisure centre in Dec 2011 when it over looked the pool although it wasn't bad memories but was linked my wave machine interests which I had no memories of it growing up.

Then I been dealing with illnesses on/off since particularly the Dec 2012 and this years illness.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Letchworth Leisure Centre is clearly a hive of villainy and pure evil.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 23, 2021, 04:02:11 PM
Letchworth Leisure Centre is clearly a hive of villainy and pure evil.

Particularly with history of people swimming in to the wave machine caissons.

Glebe

Glad you're getting help Vinnie01, stay stong.

Kankurette crying is certainly not weak, but please stop cutting, PLEASE. Have you been in touch with your GP/mental health services? In any case love & hugs.

Quote from: tookish on September 22, 2021, 03:55:24 PMAnd it's not life, it's not forever. The right support really does help. IT GETS BETTER, IT REALLY DOES.

Well Said Tookie.

Hope your mate's alright Ferris, hope you're coping okay Flouncer, and good luck with the booze-quitting Torso old chum.

MojoJojo

itsfredtitmus

fsdfsdfsd

itsfredtitmus

fsdfsdfsd

Glebe

Hope you're okay itsfredtitmus, something up?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 23, 2021, 03:22:02 AM
I think people with chronic depressive/ideational issues that only become severe every few months (err talking for a friend) wouldn't want to post in a specific board without using a sock, on the basis of the stigma that would attract, especially with people who know err my friend in real life.

Maybe people braver than err my friend would post in there and err my friend would read the posts and feel better? Though err my friend has been in a far better state for the last year or so due to (frankly, fucking wonderful) personal circumstances (or so he says).

Is your friend called err?