Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:18:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

EURO 2020 (2021) pt. 3: What's-a-matter-face

Started by sevendaughters, July 08, 2021, 10:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

TEAM OF THE TOURNEY ANYONE?
Think I'd go
Donnarumma
Coufal Kjaer Laporte Spinnazola
Pedri Jorginho Forsberg
Sterling (player of tournament) Schick Olmo
subs: Vaclik, Chiellini, de Vrij, Rice, Kane, Ronaldo, Chiesa, Sabitzer

been fun, don't think the ODI series with Pakistan or the feckin Lions tour will quite hold a candle to it!

part 1 of this thread here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,86607.0.html
part 2 of this tournament here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,87845.0.html

phes

Shoulders?-Stomach!

GK: Donnarumma

CB: Walker, Stones, Maguire

WB: Spinazzola, Zuber

CM: Pedri, Jorginho

FW: Sterling, Ronalado, Olmo

Subs: Schmeichel, Chiellini, Damsgaard, Sabitzer, Shaw, Verratti, Kane

Didn't think I was going to pick 0 players from France, Germany, Netherlands or Belgium but there you go.

phes

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 08, 2021, 10:51:14 AM
Spinnazola

After last night's performance, Shaw is as deserving of this position. Rarely seen a player make so many runs on and off the ball. Absolutely relentless. And he's racked up three assists.

lebowskibukowski

Stones has been excellent, not sure why Maguire has been getting all the plaudits from the pundits instead (although Maguire has been quite good, bar his positional play in the first half last night).

phantom_power

Maguire has been very solid defensively and has been making those driving runs into midfield to start attacks, as well as playing some good forwards passes. He has also been on the end of some crosses and could feel unlucky not to have more than one goal. I thought Stones has been almost but not quite as good generally, and was a bit dodgy last night in the first half before recovering as the game went on

DrGreggles

Spinnazola has been the best player in the tournament for me, Clive Twatterface.

monkfromhavana

Where are people watching the final?

Probably just going to end up on the sofa with my brother, but started to feel that anxiety that maybe I should be going out for this.

As for team of the tournament.....tbh, I can't remember who played well or not much beyond the past couple of days.

DrGreggles

I'm on call this weekend, so either at home, in the office, or not at all.

I noticed last night that, based on the timing of my next door neighbour's overly loud celebrations, he's about 40 seconds behind me. May have to do some noisy cheering at random moments during the match if I'm at home.

Cuellar

Norton Canes

Inspector Norse

Sommer
Maehle
Stones
Chiellini
Spinazzola
Rice
Jorginho
Sterling
Damsgaard
Forsberg
Schick

Subs:
Donnarumma
Dumfries
Shaw
Pedri
Zinchenko
Insigne
Chiesa

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Cuellar on July 08, 2021, 12:32:59 PM
So is the final on both BBC and ITV?

Isn't it true that if the final is shown on both channels the majority watches BBC coverage.

amateur

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 08, 2021, 12:21:17 PMmy next door neighbour's overly loud celebrations

Even though I live in Dublin I still find it slightly odd that in my apartment block of hundreds of people I haven't heard a single cheer or football song in the last week. Not a car horn, firework, chant, nothing.

If it wasn't for the cunt crossfit bastards I'd start to think I was the Omega man or something.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Shoulders from the other threadSlight issue with the terminology here. We aren't even 1-0 up on Italy so not sure we are in a 'slip up' position before the game has even started. It is a final against a pretty damn good and probably better side with more pedigree and a better manager, so I'd say it's the best opportunity we have had but not a very easy one in these circumstances and certainly not one we will have slipped up by losing unless we have been the better team and thrown it away.

My use of "not letting this slip" was a glib reference to Stevie G TBH. I think beating this Italy team in the final would be a respectable achievement, and actually reaching a tournament final was half the battle, but England have benefitted from good fortune throughout. The conditions are as favourable as they can be, so to not win it from this position would be a huge missed opportunity - a scalding hot take, I know...

phes

Spinnazola played two full (group) games and one full knockout, and he's in every team of the tournament. He was also responsible twice for almost letting Austria back in during the last few minutes of that game. Seems like much a fantasy of what could have been rather than what was. Shaw has done this for five full games, provided three excellent assists and been exemplary for a team who have conceded one goal, from a free kick. Granted Spinazzola was unlucky his teammates failed to put away a couple of his attempts

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteUefa has charged England after a laser pointer was directed at Denmark keeper Kasper Schmeichel during Wednesday's Euro 2020 semi-final at Wembley.

Television pictures showed a green light on Schmeichel's face just before Harry Kane took an extra-time penalty.

Schmeichel saved the spot-kick but Kane scored the rebound as England won 2-1 to reach Sunday's final against Italy.

England are also charged with causing a "disturbance" during Denmark's national anthem and setting off fireworks.

"The case will be dealt with by the Uefa Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) in due course," said a statement from European football's governing body.

What can UEFA do to England and what is the most likely outcome?

Cuellar

They've charged the ENTIRE country. We're all on the hook for this. The only option is to invade UEFA.

Come on Boris!

phantom_power

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 08, 2021, 01:41:19 PM
What can UEFA do to England and what is the most likely outcome?

A fine and a suspended supporter ban I imagine

sevendaughters

Quote from: phes on July 08, 2021, 01:28:17 PM
Spinnazola played two full (group) games and one full knockout, and he's in every team of the tournament. He was also responsible twice for almost letting Austria back in during the last few minutes of that game. Seems like much a fantasy of what could have been rather than what was. Shaw has done this for five full games, provided three excellent assists and been exemplary for a team who have conceded one goal, from a free kick. Granted Spinazzola was unlucky his teammates failed to put away a couple of his attempts

to be fair Shaw missed the opener v Croatia (Trippier was favoured) and had nothing to do against Scotland but block one side from a non-existant threat. He's been good. Arguably Zuber is the real overlooked call here, as he is leading the Euros assists chart.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteArguably Zuber is the real overlooked call here, as he is leading the Euros assists chart.

Not overlooked by me anyway ^^^

chveik

Schmeichel
Zuber Chiellini Kjaer Maehle
Pedri Pogba Forsberg
Sterling Schick Chiesa

Donnarumma, Walker, Spinazzola, Zinchenko, Verratti, Delaney, Shaqiri, Olmo

bgmnts

Yeah I think Sterling deserves to be in there.

chveik

you have to marvel at how fucking thick platini is

Bronzy

Quote from: chveik on July 08, 2021, 03:34:43 PM
you have to marvel at how fucking thick platini is

Oh fuck yeah, he's a hot piece of french ass

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on July 08, 2021, 03:27:42 PM
Yeah I think Sterling deserves to be in there.

Worth waiting for the final for player of the tournament but I'd say he is very very close now.

kalowski

Quote from: Butchers Blind on July 08, 2021, 12:51:08 PM
Isn't it true that if the final is shown on both channels the majority watches BBC coverage.
Of course. I assume people watch ITV once at most given the choice.
And I bet nowadays the grass doesn't even look greener on ITV.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

ITV can eat my shit, their app didn't even support casting the fucking melms.