Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

EURO 2020 (2021) pt. 3: What's-a-matter-face

Started by sevendaughters, July 08, 2021, 10:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: wosl on July 09, 2021, 12:46:07 AM
Albeit under the supervision of a founder who was Scottish.

And a Villa man. You're all fucking welcome.

Anyway if England win this can we add another star above the crest on our jerseys? Or is that WCs only?

wosl

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2021, 01:35:37 AM

Villa, you say?  Aston Villa?  Aston Villa F.C?

BlodwynPig

Anyway if England win this can we add another star above the crest on our jerseys? Or is that WCs only?
Think WC
Oddly the women's teams use the men's stars unless they've won the women's WC, see USA and France

Kankurette

Saying you're rooting for Italy because England are all 'ugly whites' is certainly a take. Tumblr football fans are a strange breed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wosl on July 09, 2021, 02:37:48 AM
Villa, you say?  Aston Villa?  Aston Villa F.C?

Villarreal, the real villa

Cuellar

Chedney Honks

😂😂😂

🤠🤠🤠
(sombrero)

🤣🤣🤣

dr beat

They're gonna put stars in toilets?

Kankurette

An Italian fan is going to point a laser pointer at Pickford and he'll chase it.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: phantom_power on July 09, 2021, 09:52:31 AM
https://www.football365.com/news/journalist-claims-pathetic-euro-2020-conditioned-england-spain

Come on, which one of you is Roberto Morales?

"It has been totally prepared. They've played every game at home except one. It has been totally conditioned for England."

Right down to arranging for Spain to fuck up against Sweden and Poland and not win their group, thus meaning England didn't have to play them in the quarters, right Roberto?

greenman

Really though I think the easiest explanation is that it was a way for UEFA to throw the FA a bit of a bone without allowing them to host a full event as the French an Germans are doing either side of it and even then probably Wembley allowing maximised income is probably a big factor.

bgmnts

Can't disagree with that article.

Even if it wasn't, it's still been an abysmally organised affair. God knows what they were thinking. Even without covid it was stupid.

Thursday

Really hoping England win just because the salt from the rest of the world will be so funny.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thursday on July 09, 2021, 12:25:21 PM
Really hoping England win just because the salt from the rest of the world will be so funny.

England rule the waves once more.

Cuellar

I've actually been won over the by the memes on whatsapp and I really want England to win now

phantom_power

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 09, 2021, 12:29:09 PM
He's not wrong. It's why i put 590 quid on England winning.

Of course he is fucking wrong. The reasons for the Wembley to be used so much may not be pure but it has got nothing to do with wanting England to win it. It is funny seeing a different set of excuses come out whenever England progress further than people expect

The venues were chosen in 2014 when we were shite so incredible foresight by UEFA to rig it in England's favour.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on July 09, 2021, 12:35:29 PM
Of course he is fucking wrong. The reasons for the Wembley to be used so much may not be pure but it has got nothing to do with wanting England to win it. It is funny seeing a different set of excuses come out whenever England progress further than people expect

Legup England,
Do a little turn,
Legup England,
See Gascoigne gurn

When the heroes in white,
Coming marching home,
Legup England,
We'll know we've they've won

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on July 09, 2021, 12:48:45 PM
The venues were chosen in 2014 when we were shite so incredible foresight by UEFA to rig it in England's favour.

And if they wanted to rig it in England's favour, why not just let England be the host nation so they didn't have to bother travelling to Rome for a game? Every other major international tournament has one host country (or occasionally two I suppose), are they always rigged in the favour of the hosts?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on July 09, 2021, 12:48:45 PM

A friend of a friend who works in deep ops says his firm were commissioned by Platini's men to put magnets in the match balls for England matches. Make of that what you will

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on July 09, 2021, 12:55:24 PM
And if they wanted to rig it in England's favour, why not just let England be the host nation so they didn't have to bother travelling to Rome for a game? Every other major international tournament has one host country (or occasionally two I suppose), are they always rigged in the favour of the hosts?

Save your energy.

Although, home nations do tend to do better historically

bgmnts

Quote from: phantom_power on July 09, 2021, 12:35:29 PM

I think the 'excuses' have been consistent really.

The outright cheating in the Denmark game is a new one.

colacentral

Quote from: bgmnts on July 09, 2021, 01:05:17 PM

Denmark got favorable treatment compared to Wales, so just think of it as revenge.

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on July 09, 2021, 01:05:17 PM

The "home advantage" one seems to have only come out of the bag since the "not played anyone good" one expired

I don't see anyone denying the Italians the right to be in the final despite their "outright cheating" and that they played all their group games at home and have had relatively short trips to England and Germany in their other matches

And these venues have been set for a long time and no-one was saying "well, England are bound to win it with this home advantage" when the tournament started

sevendaughters

hey, if we hadn't beaten Croatia we might have had to play two games in different countries, please don't hurt us

colacentral

Quote from: phantom_power on July 09, 2021, 01:32:09 PM
The "home advantage" one seems to have only come out of the bag since the "not played anyone good" one expired

I don't see anyone denying the Italians the right to be in the final despite their "outright cheating" and that they played all their group games at home and have had relatively short trips to England and Germany in their other matches

And these venues have been set for a long time and no-one was saying "well, England are bound to win it with this home advantage" when the tournament started

Us Welsh posters have been complaining about that from the start.

And although every tournament usually has a home side, the foreign teams usually get to set up training camp in the host country and stay there for however long they're in the tournament. It's a new one to have a handful of teams play most of their games at home, while other teams are flown all over the place every few days in different time zones and different weather conditions. It's arse, you can't deny that.

Inspector Norse

Wembley was only supposed to be used for the semis and final, but got extra games in the group stage and 2nd round because the Belgians forgot to build their stadium. The decision to move the games to Wembley was taken in December 2017. Quite a fix, to plant saboteurs among the Belgian architects and bureaucrats!