Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Afghanistan

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 08, 2021, 02:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

UN Report from May is interesting, and touches on relevance of different bits of the economy to the Taliban at that time and the relationship between the Taliban and al-Qaeda. (Obviously not a neutral, purposeless document, etc. etc.)

Buelligan

Quote from: Zetetic on August 16, 2021, 09:30:50 AM
The New Taliban, open for business and not terrorists, rebrand is a bit interesting with that in mind with already some shopping around for infrastructure/investment partners.

No real reason to invade if they allow foreign direct investment and loading the government up with debt.

Israel is itching to kick (as long as the big boys go first) Iran.  They're always on about alleged incidents with tankers and whatnot, it's the tom cat hymn, the violins tuning, before the drums of war start to thump, that's the background music here.  There will be an explanation that this well equipped army is actually working with the ayatollahs now and the whole lot needs out. 

Or maybe they're seeking to plant an unstable non-aligned well equipped capitalist/muslim bunch of lads on China's border. 

Why can't we just leave other people alone?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Zetetic on August 16, 2021, 09:30:50 AM
The New Taliban, open for business and not terrorists

The sexy New Taliban

No wonder they don't like women

batwings

Desperate people are falling to their deaths after clinging to the outside of USAF C-17 aircraft as they take off from Kabul. Terrifying. Sickening.

Paul Calf

Quote from: bgmnts on August 16, 2021, 10:27:17 AM
There's a clip of one of the leaders sending a message to Joe Biden and he talks about as long as the people adhere to Sharia law there wont be any problems (i'm paraphrasing) and then you get a close up of the guy wearing a massive gold watch.

Wearing gold and silk is haram in Islam.

Yeah, well they don't give any more of a fuck about Islam than Hitler did about weirdo sweat-lodge, piss-drinking Viking-excuses-for-bumming-to-Wagner-in-the-woods pagan bullshit, than Pol Pot did for his post-agrarian worker's paradise or than Stalin did for Communism. It's just an excuse to treat people as less-than-human.

robhug

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 16, 2021, 10:58:01 AM
Yeah, well they don't give any more of a fuck about Islam than Hitler did about weirdo sweat-lodge, piss-drinking Viking-excuses-for-bumming-to-Wagner-in-the-woods pagan bullshit, than Pol Pot did for his post-agrarian worker's paradise or than Stalin did for Communism. It's just an excuse to treat people as less-than-human.

Its a ballsy call to say the Taliban don't give a fuck about Islam. I think they may just give far too much of a fuck about it.

steve98

Quote from: batwings on August 16, 2021, 10:52:36 AM
Desperate people are falling to their deaths after clinging to the outside of USAF C-17 aircraft as they take off from Kabul. Terrifying. Sickening.

Fucking hell :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xQ9UFXW4bE

Poobum

The Taliban care about Islam in the same way the far right American Christians care about Christianity, it's a veneer of bilious scum smeared over ethno-supremacist hate.

idunnosomename

Those men will be fleeing for their lives because they worked with NATO or something. You don't act like that just because Neil Kinnock got in and life will be a bit less cushty

Zetetic

"worked with" and "or something" are doing quite a bit of work there.

Buelligan

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 16, 2021, 11:48:04 AM
Those men will be fleeing for their lives because they worked with NATO or something. You don't act like that just because Neil Kinnock got in and life will be a bit less cushty

Yeah, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Pit#:~:text=Coordinates%3A%2034%C2%B034%E2%80%B236.48,adapted%20it%20for%20illegal%20detention.

Poobum

Reading about Khalid El-Masri, fucking hell. Unaccountable evil burrowed so deep into the state. Just feel numbing anger and helpless despair.

idunnosomename

FUCKING HELL. How desperate you must be to try this is all im saying

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1427186370016067591

bgmnts

I mean, even if you manage to stay on, can a human body survive exposed at that altitude and speed?

Quote from: SweetPomPom on August 16, 2021, 12:08:21 PM
https://twitter.com/Angus_Duncan/status/1426881259524050944

Peak 4chan, I guess. Spectacular stupidity.

Praying this cunt dies to be honest. The thought he might get a spot on the last plane out and deprive someone else is nauseating.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: bgmnts on August 16, 2021, 12:09:28 PM
I mean, even if you manage to stay on, can a human body survive exposed at that altitude and speed?

I think the answer is no.

Buelligan

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 16, 2021, 12:06:29 PM
FUCKING HELL. How desperate you must be to try this is all im saying

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1427186370016067591

Yep.  What I meant was, those places and the people that ran them had guards and cleaners and drivers and fuck buddies and I bet very few of those in charge had the empathy to make sure theirs got a seat on the last chopper out.  How would any of us feel towards someone from our own communities who'd helped or profited from such a thing run by an invading force?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 16, 2021, 12:15:21 PM
I think the answer is no.
Haven't there been cases of people clinging to the undercarriage of a plane and freezing to death? Presumably even when the wheel goes up, they don't have heating in whatever compartment it's stored in.

amateur

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 16, 2021, 12:23:14 PM
Haven't there been cases of people clinging to the undercarriage of a plane and freezing to death? Presumably even when the wheel goes up, they don't have heating in whatever compartment it's stored in.

Very good Guardian piece on this from earlier in the year.

QuoteAccording to the US Federal Aviation Administration, from 1947 to February 2020, 128 people around the world attempted to stow away in this manner. More than 75% of them died.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/15/man-who-fell-from-the-sky-airplane-stowaway-kenya-london

Dr Trouser

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 16, 2021, 12:23:14 PM

LG bay isn't pressurised which means no oxygen. If you want to have a chance of surviving don't stow away on an aircraft that cruises over 8000 ft

steve98

Video of the saved - those already on the embarkation walkway - and the unsaved - those desperately trying to join them on the embarkation walkway.

It's hard to tell just what the saved are doing, but I'm guessing they're doing all they can to keep the unsaved out... can't really blame them... suppose.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1427118375713443841

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on August 16, 2021, 12:09:28 PM

Praying this cunt dies to be honest. The thought he might get a spot on the last plane out and deprive someone else is nauseating.
Your prayers will be granted. He's almost certainly going to end up in prison or dead. As if saying he wants to convert to Islam will save him.

Fambo Number Mive

Jeremy Corbyn talks sense:

QuoteAll our thoughts today should be with the Afghan people who have endured decades of violence, with no end to the uncertainty and danger in sight.
There is now a serious refugee emergency in the region. We must play our part in welcoming people seeking safety, and work with our neighbours to develop a multinational plan to help refugees, rather than tightening borders as is currently taking place across Europe. We should also support Afghanistan's neighbours in receiving refugees; a comprehensive relief effort now will save lives and safeguard futures for a tiny fraction of the cost of war.
We must learn the lessons of a two-decade war which cost nearly a quarter of a million lives and failed to achieve security for the Afghan people or prevent the spread of terrorism. The War on Terror and its architects' reckless use of force to deal with complex political issues has had profound, uncountable, and unacceptable human costs – whether to British and allied servicemen and women or to the civilian populations of Afghanistan, Iraq, and beyond.
Invasions and occupations are not only wrong and violate the right to sovereignty, they also do not deliver viable and sustainable political settlements. We cannot allow ourselves to be led down such a disastrous road again.
Too often rejecting military intervention is conflated with taking no action at all. As well as resettling refugees, I will be making the case in Parliament this week for the UK to play its part in a robust diplomatic effort that engages regional powers to ensure stability. This will need to cover humanitarian support, a response to rising extreme poverty, respect for human and civil rights especially those of women and girls, and real self-determination for Afghanistan.

bgmnts

The idea of us taking in refugees is absolutely laughable.

We just banned students from coming here.

We're a nasty country, fair play.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on August 16, 2021, 04:06:23 PM
The idea of us taking in refugees is absolutely laughable.

We just banned students from coming here.

We're a nasty country, fair play.

I think the UK has been guilted into it now? I know Canada is aiming to take 20k which is fine but a drop in the bucket frankly.

Fambo Number Mive

Biden to speak on Afghanistan at 8:45pm BST.

Wonderful Butternut

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 16, 2021, 04:21:09 PM

"Lads... *clasps hands together* it's one them them"

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 16, 2021, 04:21:09 PM

Did you guys see the news? What's THAT all about?