Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Afghanistan

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 08, 2021, 02:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Weren't they suicide bombers?

imitationleather

Could have been a failed suicide, pal.

Kankurette

So what exactly is going on with ISIS? Have they allied with the Taliban or something?

king_tubby

According to Stella Creasey.

chveik

Quote from: Kankurette on August 27, 2021, 09:21:55 PM
So what exactly is going on with ISIS? Have they allied with the Taliban or something?

not an expert but i doubt they started liking each other all of a sudden

mothman

ISIL/ISIS/Daesh started off as part of Al-Qaeda, but split and are now in competition with the for the position as no. 1 Islamic fundamentalist organisation. AQ were loosely allied with the Taliban so my assumption is there's no love lost between IS and the Taliban.

imitationleather

I thought Taliban want to run Afghanistan as though it's a functioning state to their own ends and ISIS want to provoke the US into attacking the country again and fucking shit up?

Exact opposite of them being on the same side.

chveik

Quote from: mothman on August 27, 2021, 09:28:03 PM
ISIL/ISIS/Daesh started off as part of Al-Qaeda, but split and are now in competition with the for the position as no. 1 Islamic fundamentalist organisation. AQ were loosely allied with the Taliban so my assumption is there's no love lost between IS and the Taliban.

this would be exactly the narrative the US wanted to get going in order to start a new war

Fambo Number Mive

28 Taliban fighters were killed in the bombing, so I imagine the Taliban and ISIL-K dislike each other even more now

El Unicornio, mang

Reports of the US maybe joining forces with the Taliban to defeat their common foe. It's like Rambo III/The Living Daylights/other 80s movies all over again.

imitationleather

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 27, 2021, 10:38:10 PM
Reports of the US maybe joining forces with the Taliban to defeat their common foe.

I was joking about this happening a couple of days ago. You sure the source isn't that?

chveik

Quote from: imitationleather on August 27, 2021, 10:40:42 PM
I was joking about this happening a couple of days ago. You sure the source isn't that?

CNN lads are reading cab to get their infos

Dex Sawash

mothman

Quote from: chveik on August 27, 2021, 09:36:15 PM
this would be exactly the narrative the US wanted to get going in order to start a new war

How so? OK sure they went after Saddam despite Iraq having nothing to do with AQ, but going after either the Taliban or IS on the basis they're in cahoots when they're widely known to not be is quite the stretch. It's not 2003 any more.

chveik

Quote from: mothman on August 27, 2021, 10:57:28 PM
How so? OK sure they went after Saddam despite Iraq having nothing to do with AQ, but going after either the Taliban or IS on the basis they're in cahoots when they're widely known to not be is quite the stretch. It's not 2003 any more.

sorry i misunderstood your post. the us tend to repeat their mistakes though so fuck knows

evilcommiedictator

AQ are even worse than the Taliban, which was why 5-ish years ago they were involved in talk to form government, as even they said they didn't want those pricks to be in charge.
Now, AQ aren't really an organization anymore per se, they've been busy trying to split in Idlib, People's Front of Judea style, but Turkey are happy to let them travel around from there through Iraq and up to Afghanistan, so yay!

pigamus

God, the way Biden was clutching his folder at the podium like it was a teddy bear or something, embarrassing

Fambo Number Mive

It's been reported by Jon Cooper (Majority Leader of Suffolk County Legislature, NY) that an ISIS-K terrorism planner has been killed in a drone strike.

Buelligan

Just thought this film from Doubledown News about the Afghan War belongs in this thread, don't think it's been linked.  Please do watch it.

MikeP

There is a fundamental lack of understanding over Afghanistan. It's hard topography and harder inhabitants who don't want to live like the effete. They were perfectly happy until people started trying to liberate them and poison them with our decadent ideas. Ideas which work well in a decadent society but are particularly poor in what we would describe as backward countries.
We took several hundred years to develop into the shit state we currently enjoy. Afghanis look at us and wonder. And not in a good way. They do of course get their many hundreds of millions of pounds from us, and supply the raw material for our much needed heroin supply, but it will take more than that and good helping of time to totally screw up their country.
Bombing and shooting has never worked anywhere in the long run, although it does keep those of us in the arms industry on our toes.

Kankurette

Buelligan

Pretty sure that's a socko, they say decadent when they mean please allow me to boil your piss with some low-grade trolling.

Hope you people have all watched that DoubleDown vid I linked above, btw, it's a corker.

idunnosomename

could someone say what opinion I should have on this Pen Farthing nonsense beyond that he has a stupid name and is probably a nonce?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 29, 2021, 01:59:34 PM
could someone say what opinion I should have on this Pen Farthing nonsense beyond that he has a stupid name and is probably a nonce?

that about covers it

Buelligan

Ordinary working people care about animals except bombdogs.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThousands of emails to the Foreign Office from MPs and charities detailing urgent cases of Afghans trying to escape from Kabul have not been read, including cases flagged by government ministers, the Observer has been told.

The UK's Afghanistan evacuation concluded on Saturday night with the departure of Britain's final military and diplomatic personnel, bringing a sudden end to the 20-year deployment. More than 15,000 people have been brought out of the country in the last fortnight, in what ministers described as the largest UK military evacuation since the second world war.

However, amid accusations of government incompetence over elements of the evacuation effort, the Observer has seen evidence that an official email address used to collate potential Afghan cases from MPs and others regularly contained 5,000 unread emails throughout the week.

In many cases, emails detailing the cases of Afghans who fear for their families' lives appear to have been unopened for days. An email from the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, sent on Monday was still unread on Thursday. There also appeared to be unread messages from the offices of Victoria Atkins, the newly appointed minister for Afghan resettlement, the home secretary, Priti Patel, and the Tory chair of the defence select committee, Tobias Ellwood.

The revelation calls into question the suggestion from ministers that the number of Afghans left behind would be up to 1,100 in total.

A whistleblower with access to the Foreign Office email accounts in question said most cases covered more than one person, meaning ministers could have no clear idea of the real numbers left behind. "It's not just that MPs weren't getting replies – their emails weren't being read," said the source. "The inbox currently has a 5,000-email backlog. It's not that they are the emails which haven't been actioned. It's not even that they are emails which haven't been processed and put into a spreadsheet. It's that no one has actually opened the email...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/28/revealed-foreign-office-ignored-pleas-help-afghans-mps-evacuation

Ministers were probably busy getting involved in the latest culture war.

Buelligan

I think, if we just take a moment to think of all those native Afghanis, many of whom worked for Britain and her allies or commercial partners, as dead, like the ~10 thousand[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_casualties_from_U.S._drone_strikes[/nb] who died in drone strikes there, a high percentage of whom were children, we may feel more able to ignore them.

MikeP

Quote from: Kankurette on August 29, 2021, 09:48:16 AM
Decadent?

Yep, decadent. Don't know if the trolling accusation (not by Kankurette) was aimed at me, but if it was it demonstrates a lack of understanding of my post. If you consider the western world from the afghan point of view we are the last word in decadence.
The average UK citizen wouldn't last a month living in Afghanistan.
I have the greatest respect for the Afghani people, but their attitudes can be hard to understand if you don't spend some time living with them. Playing polo with goats heads is probably not allowed under the rules of the Federation of International Polo. Human heads even less so. Many other aspects of their life are just as bad, if not worse from our perspective. But it works for them.

Buelligan

You're not Chris Bryant, are you?

Captain Z

All I can say is that I hope Pen Farthing can sleep at night when/if he ponders the army and media resources that went into flying a bunch of animals out of the country while queues of desperate people watched those last planes take off.