Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Afghanistan

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 08, 2021, 02:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Everyone addicted to heroin is on fentanyl now, and that comes from China.

Okay, not "everyone". But it's getting there and it's probably inevitable.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAfghans who received Scholarships from the UK government to study in the UK this year have now been told they will not be granted visas due to "administration issues". #Chevening

https://twitter.com/BBCYaldaHakim/status/1426605800991207428

bgmnts

Oof that's fucking nasty, even by our standards.

Kankurette

idunnosomename

The Taliban are surrounding Kabul now although they are currently seeking a non-violent transfer of power.

The government are doing the whole "nothing to see here everything under control" while double-blade helicopters clear out the US embassy

Retinend

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 15, 2021, 09:57:19 AM
The Taliban are surrounding Kabul now although they are currently seeking a non-violent transfer of power.

That's a nice way of saying "unconditional surrender".

idunnosomename

Bish bosh all done apparently. President will officially step down for Taliban interim government in a few hours.

Congratulations to all involved.

Retinend

This is tragic, if not unexpected, news for the people of Afghanistan. What's your source, BTW? Sky News still says Ghani is "clinging on to the capital" as of 26 mins ago.

Alberon

From the BBC

QuoteThe acting Afghan interior minister has appeared in a video, broadcast on local outlet Tolo TV, saying there would be a "peaceful transfer of power" to a transitional government. He said Kabul would not come under attack.

Might not be the whole government, but some have already capitulated. I can't see the rest holding out more than a couple of hours at this point.

It's over.

Retinend

Thanks.

URL: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-58219963

"The acting Afghan interior minister has appeared in a video, broadcast on local outlet Tolo TV, saying there would be a "peaceful transfer of power" to a transitional government.

The Associated Press news agency, citing an Afghan official, said Taliban negotiators were heading to the presidential palace to prepare for a "transfer" of power."

Buelligan

*larry david fainting gif* 

I'm sure there were great people on both sides.

Butchers Blind

This is why we spent 20 years in Afghanistan, well done everyone, mission accomplished.

Blumf

This is just fucking brutal in the speed of collapse.

Bit of insight into how:

https://twitter.com/HuntClancy/status/1426371366987644930
QuoteTheHuntForTomClancy @HuntClancy
Talked to a buddy who was an Embedded Tactical Trainer with the ANA in Afghanistan for a few tours.

Some of his observations as to why the Afghan National Army is folding so quickly were quite interesting to me, so here goes

('Askars' are basic troops in the Afghan army)

Pretty obvious that 20 years has been nothing but a money cycling exercise for the West, with nothing put into rebuilding Afghan society in any meaningful way.

Retinend

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 14, 2021, 07:52:31 PM
Just need to legalise heroin and opium and grow it in Europe and North America. The Taliban are funded by opium money, just as their opponents were funded by corruptly-disbursed western money coming in through other, more official channels.

Back to the previous page, this is a good point. Afghanistan has the perfect agricultural base for a totalitarian pariah state government which must fund itself based on black-market dealings.

Quote from: imitationleather on August 14, 2021, 07:57:26 PM
Everyone addicted to heroin is on fentanyl now, and that comes from China.

then again:

Quote from: wikipediaAfghanistan's harvest produces more than 90% of illicit heroin in the world, and more than 95% of the European supply.[2][3] More land is used than is used for coca cultivation in Latin America. In 2007, 93% of the non-pharmaceutical-grade opiates on the world market originated in Afghanistan.[4] This amounts to an export value of about US$4 billion, with a quarter being earned by opium farmers and the rest going to district officials, insurgents, warlords, and drug traffickers.[5] In the seven years (1994–2000) prior to a Taliban opium ban, the Afghan farmers' share of gross income from opium was divided among 200,000 families.[6] As of 2017, opium production provides about 400,000 jobs in Afghanistan, more than the Afghan National Security Forces.[7] The opium trade spiked in 2006 after the Taliban lost control of local warlords. In addition to opium, Afghanistan is also the world's leading producer of hashish.[8]

"More land is used than is used for coca cultivation in Latin America" - wow, these utter cunts are going to be rich

Buelligan

Quote from: Blumf on August 15, 2021, 11:27:50 AM
Pretty obvious that 20 years has been nothing but a money cycling exercise for the West, with nothing put into rebuilding Afghan society in any meaningful way.

*larry david fainting gif*

International working class lives and money taken by weapons companies and big oil in return for death.  Same as it ever was.

What's wrong with aspiration?

Retinend

Butchers Blind

QuoteForeign Secretary Dominic Raab said he had shared his "deep concerns about the future for Afghanistan" with Pakistan's foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi.

Thanks Dominic, you utter waste of skin.

idunnosomename

Afghani pres has scarpered!

Buelligan

How many letters?

Spoiler alert
Pagan fisher?  Though how that's scarpered I do not know.
[close]

mothman

Quote from: Blumf on August 15, 2021, 11:27:50 AM
This is just fucking brutal in the speed of collapse.

Bit of insight into how:

https://twitter.com/HuntClancy/status/1426371366987644930
('Askars' are basic troops in the Afghan army)

So, pretty-much exactly the same as happened to the Iraqi Army when faced with Daesh.

chveik

what a great use of twenty years of occupation when the country you were supposed to 'stabilize' gets its government overthrown in a couple days. such a dissonance between the way they see themselves and how pathetic they truly are

steve98

He's away with the fairies. Should be in a home.

An tSaoi

Actually less coherent than Trump.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBenny Hunter
@BennnyH
One thing the government could do immediately - provide amnesty to undocumented Afghans in the UK. How many Afghan asylum-seekers were refused on the grounds they could return to Kabul and be safe there? That has been proven false.

QuoteJust heard about a young Afghan asylum-seeker who was refused by the Home Office *LAST WEEK* on the grounds that he could be safely returned to Kabul.

What a joke.

https://twitter.com/BennnyH/status/1426856194279362563

steve98

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 15, 2021, 07:17:42 PM
Actually less coherent than Trump.

I avoid watching videos of him speaking because it makes me think Trump might get back in: I feel more and more Americans must think - JfC! look at the state of this brain-withered, dribbling old coffin-dodger. Fuck. Was the orange lunatic really all that bad?

idunnosomename

Quote from: steve98 on August 15, 2021, 07:12:42 PM
He's away with the fairies. Should be in a home.
the white house basically is sheltered accomodation for old cranks for most of the mid 20th century onwards

Blumf

I sure hope Afghanistan didn't take out the extended warranty on that rebuilt society. I expect they're on hold with NATO's support line as we speak.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 15, 2021, 06:45:28 PM
Hahahaha lets laugh at this silly old cunt

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1426962108575633409

"Well equipped" -> "We bought them all the best toys, what else is there?"

Here's a thought; the Taliban now have a "well equipped" air force, as well as armoured vehicles, and a bunch of other weapons. That'll be fun.

He's another thought; Iran and the Taliban don't exactly like each other[nb]There was even a point where Iran was considering helping the US with intel. Naturally Saudi Arabia/Israelthe US pooh-poohed the idea and continued stumbling about blindly[/nb]. I wonder who benefits from that.

Jasha

Quote from: Blumf on August 15, 2021, 07:30:55 PM
Here's a thought; the Taliban now have a "well equipped" air force, as well as armoured vehicles, and a bunch of other weapons.

Luckily they're all right hand drive