Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:02:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gervais on "Wernham Blogg" podcast for the Office 20th anniversary

Started by willbo, July 09, 2021, 02:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1KrJtiKxuGlKAq93OY4Wjm?si=WGmj0iyBS2qDLGG0SKKNhw&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1&nd=1

he starts talking about 50 minutes in and talks about his comedy influences and how "he hoped to to get Alan Partridge fans", finding it mildly interesting so far

Retinend

Typical Gervais. Going on a podcast all about a show that he made, to talk about his comedic legacy, and his comedic influences. Absolute, irredeemable, self-obsessed, gold-star cunt.

Spoiler alert
just kidding - this is really good so far! You wouldn't immediately have Gervais pegged as a Python fanatic, but it just goes to show that the Pythons were the Beatles of the comedy world
[close]

willbo

"I didn't do the second series of Meet RG because I was scared of becoming too recognizable"...wow...

Autopsy Turvey

I went into this expecting some 'expert' to say that The Office is no longer relevant because not so many people go to the office since covid. "There's a good chance that it's not going to be particularly relevant for people struggling on universal credit or furlough," says Dr Simon Weaver, a senior lecturer in media and communications at Brunel University in London, earning his fee there ("the show struck a chord because people identified with the experience of working in an office at the time").

Then the 'expert' says "The comedy clearly highlights the ignorance of the bigot in a way that Till Death Us Do Part and others failed to do." Brent is a way more sympathetic character than Alf, and Alf was ranting about the existential threat of foreigners from the most ludicrously numb-skulled perspective, whereas Brent told a few naughty schoolboy jokes about black man's willies and coming over queers. Till Death Do Us Part has been renowned for 55 years for clearly highlighting the ignorance of the bigot. The Office has been renowned for 20 years for the podgy man doing a dance, and lots of overegged longueurs between the will-they-won't-they couple.

TLDR: shit article

idunnosomename

trending on twitter for being a cunt claiming the office would be cancelled today. tweeted this meme.

it's so gross he has a little bum inside his mouth

chveik

willbo

to be honest at this point I'm happy to separate "the sweet funny guy who lucked out on his Partridge/Langham type awkward mockumentary getting big and likes to talk about classic comedy and his pets" from "the free speech cunt" and enjoy one while ignoring the other

interesting they got him to mention Karl Pilkington, first time he's mentioned him publicly since their break up I believe

The Mollusk

Quote from: Retinend on July 09, 2021, 02:53:52 PMbut it just goes to show that the Pythons were the Beatles of the comedy world

You mean ........

Overrated? 😏

Retinend

Quote from: jobotic on July 10, 2021, 08:03:03 AM
So how come he doesn't say "mong" anymore?

People told him they didn't like it and he gave a fuck?

Catalogue Trousers

typeforty

Quote from: willbo on July 09, 2021, 02:48:33 PM
https://open.spotify.com/episode/1KrJtiKxuGlKAq93OY4Wjm?si=WGmj0iyBS2qDLGG0SKKNhw&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1&nd=1

he starts talking about 50 minutes in and talks about his comedy influences and how "he hoped to to get Alan Partridge fans", finding it mildly interesting so far

And this is what annoys me about podcasts. They get the creator of the show on, and they don't start playing the interview until 50 minutes in. Puts Maron to shame.

paruses

Quote from: jobotic on July 10, 2021, 08:03:03 AM
So how come he doesn't say "mong" anymore?

He's a sort of magician isn't he? Creates the illusion of being offensive and edgy without actually being so. Bit like David Blaine was OK doing his levitating man stuff and cutting reactions together but when he went onto non-magic glass box stuff people just flew drones with Big Macs attached round him and didn't like it.

H-O-W-L

I am still fucking sickened every time I see that fucking deal about him "GOING OFF" at awards shows makes the rounds. It's so clearly theater, why do people believe he's actually some kind of subversive, intelligent satirist who can cut through the bullshit and TAKE HOLLYWOOD DOWN??? Like, even here I saw people like "aye gervaise a cunt but fair do's for giving hollywood some shit" -- It's the shit they're allowing him to give! Some fucking suit sat there and said what Bad Hollywood Things he could take the piss about on stage! It's a fucking skin game! Don't fall for it!

Pink Gregory

Good thread from UK comedian Milo Edwards on this

https://mobile.twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1413875301013204992

"in truth the reason why the office might not get made now is it was a broadcaster taking a risk on an unknown pair of writers based upon what they thought to be an original and high quality concept."

Replies From View

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 11, 2021, 02:10:48 PM
https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1414152807695978499 name searching on twitter, replying to people and subsequently blocking them

Starts off with though, to prove that it's all wild bantz and he isn't triggered.

idunnosomename

willbo

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 11, 2021, 03:08:59 PM
Richard basically is the cry laugh emoji personified now.

he was christened Ricky according to Ricky

Replies From View

Quote from: willbo on July 11, 2021, 05:12:17 PM
he was christened Ricky according to Ricky

I'm sure he'd live another day if we called him richard gervias

Barry Admin

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 11, 2021, 02:10:48 PM
https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1414152807695978499 name searching on twitter, replying to people and subsequently blocking them

QuoteHmm... this page doesn't exist. Try searching for something else.

This is why I copy paste or screenshot stuff :-)

willbo

Old Nehamkin

To be honest I was never really convinced by the idea that Shandling was sincerely trying to show up or humiliate Gervais in that interview. I remember there being a broad consensus on here at the time of the broadcast that it was devastating and vindicating evidence that Gervais's own comedy hero actually hated and resented him just like we all did, but that always struck me as a bit of wishful projection. I think Shandling's own explanation that it was a bit of a crossed-wires situation where he was trying to craft a tense, awkward improv scene on the hoof - while Gervais was coming in primed for an earnest, deep-dive interview - seems to line up well enough.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 11, 2021, 07:22:25 PM
tweet in question

thread here

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1414145785973952520?s=20

Much appreciated, thanks :-)

Yeah, I can't remember exactly, but I think Gervais is lying there, as usual.

With regards to it 'not even being the last one', I can certainly remember that it was held back for a long time, then eventually dumped out in some really bad Xmas(?) slot. Buried, basically.