Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gervais on "Wernham Blogg" podcast for the Office 20th anniversary

Started by willbo, July 09, 2021, 02:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 14, 2021, 10:02:04 AM
It's quite a sharp decline from the first and second series, from "I love Karl, I think he's amazing, he's a genius" to "bald headed Manc twat why don't you fucking smile, eat these burgers".
Probably Gervais's natural inclinations towards Karl in series one and then how they've been warped from hearing audience feedback in the meantime. I can't imagine the feedback at the time evolved much further than "man, that Karl guy is a miserable idiot, isn't he?! it's hilarious!"

Retinend

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 14, 2021, 10:02:04 AMI will admit, I laughed at those drawings though. They're so bizarre.

Yeah - the drawings are Lennonesque - very economically amusing.

NSFW highly erotic: https://i.postimg.cc/j2cWVy1t/image.png

willbo

the most interesting thing I find about the Office now is the weird meta aspect to it - how both Brent and the real Gervais are failed pop stars desperate for their last shot at fame, performing manically for BBC cameras - and Brent is failing while Gervais is getting the fame he dreamed of and finally becoming a star...and that stuff about his father when Brent is at the quiz...knowing now that Gervais' real father, like Brent's, was an older father (in his 80s when Gervais was 39), an ill WW2 veteran in a home, who Gervais says was stern...at the same time as he writes Brent refusing to see him at the quiz

mr. logic

Yeah, by the time of the fourth series of the Xfm shows, it's a pretty horrible listening experience. I always remember him bragging about what mates he is with the boss, after Karl has just genuinely voiced worries about his own job, and thinking what a smarmy cunt it made him sound like.

Jockice