Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Southern Water deliberately dumped billions of litres of raw sewage into the sea

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 09, 2021, 04:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 10, 2021, 04:56:28 PM
I'm not in disagreement with Z's point. More of agreeing with it in an absurdist way.

That's the absolute best way of agreeing.  Quark.

Captain Z

No excuse for doing this when there's a perfectly good volcano in Iceland they could be dumping it in.

PlanktonSideburns

robhug

Daily Mail had 20 pages of Gareth Southgates favourite brand of soap before this story encompassed 1/3 rd of a page.

Acknowledges it was done completely deliberately, yet no hint of criminal charges for the management

evilcommiedictator

Reminds me of Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun 2 1/2

"I've been swimming in Raw Sewerage. I Love It! *moves head towards mic* I LOVE IT!"

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 10, 2021, 09:27:08 AM
Inlet to the works all have FOG traps / grit removal and screens for deragging.
Yes I'm familiar with wastewater treatment works. I'm commenting on the fact that the article says anglers reported various "rags" in the Thames along with the smell of raw sewage, as though the two are connected.

bakabaka

BlodwynPig

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 11, 2021, 06:38:09 AM
Reminds me of Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun 2 1/2

"I've been swimming in Raw Sewerage. I Love It! *moves head towards mic* I LOVE IT!"

He got that wrong then. Sewerage is the means of sewage conveyance.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 11, 2021, 07:45:43 AM
Yes I'm familiar with wastewater treatment works. I'm commenting on the fact that the article says anglers reported various "rags" in the Thames along with the smell of raw sewage, as though the two are connected.

ah. I didn't read the article as this is pretty old news. Apols.

Jasha

Oh come on everyone's been caught short on a day at the beach and had a little tinkle in the sea

Buelligan

Quote from: bakabaka on July 11, 2021, 07:46:01 AM
...and Charm.

Exactomondo.   But, just imagine, what would the Daily Mail say about all of this if Jeremy Corbyn was in charge of the fucking government.  Yep.

Capitalism means allowing, rewarding, applauding, a gang of self-serving thieves, public gangsters, to run the world to suit themselves and then pretending it's an intelligent choice whilst turds float past your face.

Flouncer

If you want a picture of the future, imagine tods floating past a human face - forever.

BlodwynPig

I was at a EU meeting on wastewater in Gdansk (Sopot to be precise). One German (germane) bloke went for a swim in the sea as was his wont. Came out a few minutes later, covered is sewage. We laughed (behind his back).

Fry

Southern Water handle my water, and this news has me absolutely fuming. So much so that I wrote to my MP for the first time in ages. Spent a lot of time last night thinking about whether I could cycle up to their offices at 3am with a spray can and a couple of bricks to really get my point across (I didn't in the end).

How can it be just that nobody sees the inside of a prison cell for this?

The Mollusk

Imagine being one of the top guys whose job it is to be like, yeah, dump it lads. Signing off on this dump. As the big executive board of decision making guys we have decided it's this: dump.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The disgust and anger is good, it suggests we are engaged and believe change can come, but the fact the prevailing reaction is of disillusionment and despair knowing there is little chance of changing this situation now or in our lifetimes suggests we are heading somewhere really ugly.

homesickalien

Anyone watching the rivercide live documentary on youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ID0VAUNANA

Lots of mistakes and mess ups typical of amateur live tv - eg George Monbiot almost crashing his boat, shots lingering too long on the wrong subjects, crew wandering into shots etc - quite funny if your bored

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 11, 2021, 11:50:00 AM
Imagine being one of the top guys whose job it is to be like, yeah, dump it lads. Signing off on this dump. As the big executive board of decision making guys we have decided it's this: dump.

It's not entirely the water utilities 'fault'. Urbanisation puts stresses on sewerage systems that in some place are ancient. Climate change has increased rainfall, which in turn causes greater number of CSO (combined sewer overflows). The solution is to build in infrastructure resilience through collaboration between the regulators, industry, academia AND the public. Government investment would help, but given these are mainly private assets, a sea change needs to happen at the top of the companies. It is happening and I am hoping (if I leave gov) to be part of that, from a 'digital transformation' perspective.

From a similar perspective, here is a response from someone we are involved with in response to a Guardian article blaming the water industry for release of microplastics:

Interesting framing here. We are the source of mictoplastics through our consumption patterns. Water companies are funded to treat upto a limited flow as agreed in law and regulated by the EA. Yet water companies are held responsible. I'd personally pay higher water bills to fund the additional investment to tackle micro plastic pollution. I don't think blaming water companies will speed up this investment. We need to lobby for a change in law, pass the responsibility to make the improvements to the water companies and personally pay up as we're the ultimate source of the pollution.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 11, 2021, 11:59:02 AM
The disgust and anger is good, it suggests we are engaged and believe change can come, but the fact the prevailing reaction is of disillusionment and despair knowing there is little chance of changing this situation now or in our lifetimes suggests we are heading somewhere really ugly.

? Far be it for me to accuse you of being overly negative, but I can tell you that change is happening. The global water and wastewater communities are one of the most progressive collective forces for good on the planet.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 09, 2021, 04:38:14 PM
This is pretty shocking, and surely more should have happened that just a fine? Shouldn't the company lose their licence or the board of directors face some penalty?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57777935

Southern Water isn't the only water company that's been pumping raw sewage into our waters recently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39352755

However, as Jeremy Stern notes, these fines aren't exactly a problem for the water companies:

No doubt water companies will just pass the cost of fines onto their customers, and those at the top will still receive massive salaries. But they create wealth, so it's ok for them to carry on polluting out waters, killing wildlife and putting public health at risk. I wonder how many private beaches in the UK are at risk of having sewage pumped into them.

Southern Water was fined £2m a few years ago when a pumping station failed during heavy storms, leading to over 20 Kent bathing beaches being closed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-38365368

If Themes water makes 2m a year, and was fined 20 milliion, isn't that a problem for them?  Where would they find the other 18 million?  Do they just have loads of money stashed away for events like this?

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 14, 2021, 07:48:41 PM
? Far be it for me to accuse you of being overly negative, but I can tell you that change is happening. The global water and wastewater communities are one of the most progressive collective forces for good on the planet.

Do you ever read Global Water Intelligence Blodders?  Or attend the Global Water Summit?

Sebastian Cobb

What's the biggest thing they've caught in the nets at the shit farm?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on July 14, 2021, 07:52:54 PM
Do you ever read Global Water Intelligence Blodders?  Or attend the Global Water Summit?

I have been less on the industry side and more pure academia, not always water (bioengineering, mathematics, microbial ecology) - and I mainly am involved in the IWA.

GWI did approach me to write an outlook piece, but I never got round to it. It's for the men in their suits and ties. Although I know you have to grease the palms from time to time.

Twit 2

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2021, 07:55:08 PM
What's the biggest thing they've caught in the nets at the shit farm?

I've told the story before of workers falling into activated sludge tanks and only the bones being left once they could safely empty the tank/lane.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 14, 2021, 07:55:50 PM
I have been less on the industry side and more pure academia, not always water (bioengineering, mathematics, microbial ecology) - and I mainly am involved in the IWA.

GWI did approach me to write an outlook piece, but I never got round to it. It's for the men in their suits and ties. Although I know you have to grease the palms from time to time.

Ah gotcha, I asked becuase my mate works for GWI.

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 11, 2021, 11:59:02 AM

To be fair, dont you jet around Europe on beer tours? That probably doesn't help environmental concerns!