Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,188
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:09:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the best cut of Dune to watch?

Started by PlanktonSideburns, July 10, 2021, 03:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

There's a 3 hour version online someones made, is that the one to go for?

Not seen it in years, want the finest dune experience

greenman

I'd still go with the Lynch original personally.

As I understand it Lynch had a pretty free hand with what was in that cut with the only limit being runtime and I think the end result is he actually turns it more into a more focused Lynch film rather than a more conventional epic with some Lynchian parts as originally intended.

Actually coming out in UHD disk in a couple of months time.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 10, 2021, 03:26:33 PM
There's a 3 hour version online someones made, is that the one to go for?

Not seen it in years, want the finest dune experience

You won't get the finest Dune experience with any version of the Lynch film, but the original theatrical cut is the only one to bother with.  The three hour one just makes the torture last longer.  Worth noting how much Lynch himself hates the TV version, to the point where I think I'm right in saying he no longer allows Universal to release it in any form.

McChesney Duntz

I love that he disapproved of the TV cut so much that he not only "Alan Smithee"'d it but also coined a great pseudonym - "Judas Booth" - to cover that he scripted it too. Yes, it's as bad as if the guy who betrayed Jesus and the bloke who shot Lincoln collaborated on the screenplay.

PlanktonSideburns

Ahh that's good to know! Someone said the 3 hour cut makes it make a lot more sense, but it's a lynch space opera, I guess it doesn't need to make any sense

Wife is way more likely to watch it now also

peanutbutter

Doubt it'd be possible for me to like any version of Dune, definitely don't think it'd be improved by being more coherent but I did like when the Lynch bits would really stand out. Helped explain a lot of his effects aesthetics since, which even up to Twin Peaks S3 seem kinda grounded within the range of what was possible at this point in time.

Most interesting thing about Dune to me is how well Lynch has dealt with it, how it reflects his general professionalism and how big of a part that is of his success since. He's very good at totally shitting on something without offending anyone involved or anyone who likes the film, extremely tactful. It's the kind of situation where an awful lot of filmmakers would burn basically every bridge they had as they realised it was gonna be a disaster.

mothman

I've
Spoiler alert
downloaded
[close]
the three-hour fan version but not seen it yet.

Blumf

As others are saying, stick with the theatrical release. The others, that chuck in every cutting room scrap they can find, add nothing to the film.

It'll never be a good Dune adaptation (especially with the ending), but there's so much Lynchian weirdness and depth on screen I find it very easy to love.

Alberon

I've watched bits of the longer version and it's pretty clear why most of it never made the final cut.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Blumf on July 10, 2021, 07:42:27 PM
As others are saying, stick with the theatrical release. The others, that chuck in every cutting room scrap they can find, add nothing to the film.

It'll never be a good Dune adaptation (especially with the ending), but there's so much Lynchian weirdness and depth on screen I find it very easy to love.

Yea that's what I'm after really, lynch doing a confusing Sci fi costume drama

Pride and prejudice with space mutants and with out the awesome storyline and romance, nothing like pride and prejudice actually, that's a shit metaphor

greenman

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 10, 2021, 03:52:56 PM
I love that he disapproved of the TV cut so much that he not only "Alan Smithee"'d it but also coined a great pseudonym - "Judas Booth" - to cover that he scripted it too. Yes, it's as bad as if the guy who betrayed Jesus and the bloke who shot Lincoln collaborated on the screenplay.

I'm guessing the biggue was that the TV cut really had some terrible elements to it like the opening narration with the cheap art and some badly looped soundtrack on other scenes.

Again though I think the 2 hour cut actually ended up distilling most of the stuff that worked best.

PlanktonSideburns

So is the 2 hour cut the theatrical one?
Are ae all in agreement which version me and wife should watch?

Dex Sawash

KennyMonster

Lynch's take on the classic story was terrible, he completely misinterpreted it.

I first suspected something was up when they cut 'Terry' from the title.

PlanktonSideburns

chveik

PlanktonSideburns

Trailer does look pretty good.. Maybe I should just print of a poster of sting in his pants

Shit Good Nose

At the risk of upsetting everyone on here as I know he has many doubters on CaB, I'm going to predict that Denis Villeneuve's Dune is going to be infinitely better than Lynch's.

The two TV adaptations are also much better (than Lynch's) and more faithful to the books, BUT that faithfulness makes them quite an arduous watch at times (I mean the books are hardly a breezy read are they).  They also suffer from the usual made-for-TV trappings

PlanktonSideburns

I just want a creepier version of star wars with daft costume and set design

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 11, 2021, 01:53:30 PM
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079946/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182060/

Star crash looks like total sexy bin juice

Found that Turkish one online, skipped to the middle, two lads punching fuck out eachother in the desert, to some sort of distorted casio arrangement of the indiana jones theme, which is being seriously sidechain compressed by the sounds of the punching

I'll take it!

Mister Six

Quote from: greenman on July 10, 2021, 03:27:45 PM
I'd still go with the Lynch original personally.

As I understand it Lynch had a pretty free hand with what was in that cut with the only limit being runtime

Lynch didn't get the final cut - DeLaurentiis took that out of his hands because he went well over the runtime. But it's still the closest you'll get to Lynch's vision.

PlanktonSideburns

FUCK me its shit isn't it!

So glad I didn't do the 3 hour cut

Those voice overs!

Mister Six

I quite liked the voiceovers - thought they added a curiously anachronistic and ethereal air to the film. Then I read the book and realised that about 30 percent of it is people thinking in italics. Interested to see how Villeneuve deals with such an internalised narrative.