Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I really really don't want England to win the Euros [split topic]

Started by Keebleman, July 11, 2021, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Appropriate time to resurrect this thread!  If everyone could mentally amend 'World Cup' to Euros' that would helpful.  Otherwise everything stands.

In fact because I am of Italian descent everything stands even fucking more.

Dr Rock

I don't want them to win either. I'd like to bet a tenner on them losing 5-1 but I can't seem to find the odds on that.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 11, 2021, 04:14:06 PM
I don't want them to win either. I'd like to bet a tenner on them losing 5-1 but I can't seem to find the odds on that.

My Turf accountant is currently looking at 34,000/1 for those odds. Each way.

I went for my second jab yesterday and the nurse goes "what's your prediction for tomorrow then?"
and I goes "Oh, I think we'll win!"
"..."
and then I thought maybe she was waiting for a score prediction, so I goes "2, nil!"
and she laughed in shock and goes "oh, you're very optimistic!"

and I sez "I don't know anything about football really" while she was laughing in my face "but it'd be nice if everyone was happy"
Just as I was leaving I'm sure she called me "jarjar" or "zsa zsa"

I was thinking "does she mean gabor or binks?"
I just had normal footwear on. Walking boots.
I don't look like jar jar binks, I'd like to think :D

Very strange. People are weird.

Barry Admin

I never usually gamble, but...

Quote01:08:12 - 11/07/21 You placed a $10,000,000 (x3.1) bet in the Bookie on Italy to win in Italy v England (Match Odds)

Let's gooooooo Italy 🇮🇹

Thursday

I don't normally gamble, but I've put on a few bets this tournament. Because I actually want England to win, I'm doing the strategy of betting on Italy (Also because I think they will win)

Of course it'll still suck because I'll just be wishing I'd bet more.

Ferris

Someone should let Chiellini and friends know that if England don't win the English will smash their country to bits. Actually no hang on don't tell them that.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 11, 2021, 04:14:06 PM

250-1 on Betfair, both Betfair and William Hill have England as very slight odds fave.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on July 11, 2021, 06:14:25 PM
250-1 on Betfair, both Betfair and William Hill have England as very slight odds fave.

Holy Lasagne, bet is PLACED. Come on Italia!

Fry

Genuine question to English Italy supporters. Do you not have friends or loved ones you know would be overjoyed by a victory? Does your desire to see them happy not trump your hate of shirtless bum flarers?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Fry on July 11, 2021, 06:38:00 PM
Genuine question to English Italy supporters. Do you not have friends or loved ones you know would be overjoyed by a victory?

No.

Dr Rock

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Fry on July 11, 2021, 06:38:00 PM
Genuine question to English Italy supporters. Do you not have friends or loved ones you know would be overjoyed by a victory? Does your desire to see them happy not trump your hate of shirtless bum flarers?

just remember your trying to converse with mental midgets

Chedney Honks

Quote from: bakabaka on July 11, 2021, 06:25:08 PM

Fucking hell, those fellas are doing the laughing crying emoji in real life!

😀😂😂

pancreas

I don't personally give a shit about it either way. I don't associate myself with that flag, which seems to be a central conceit in all this. That flag represents oppression, stupidity, submission to US imperialism. It's like cheering for Brexit. On top of that people sing a song written by two cunts, one of whom blacked up to parody a black footballer. The whole thing is absolutely ghastly and I can't be doing with it.

The more level-headed question is: what outcome gives us the best chance to change things societally? My heart wants them to lose, but I suspect that will just snap everything back to normal—we won't get anywhere new. By contrast, my head says it's worth a punt to hope they win. Maybe some of the peasants will convince themselves it's not the only thing they can win. Maybe they can win something else—a pay rise, for example. It may help to break the serf mentality.

tl;dr go on Engerland my son.

Kankurette

IsavedLatin

I am an Irish person who lives in England, and I sincerely want them to lose. I don't follow sport in any way, and my reaction is not inflected by trad Brit-bashing aggrieved Irish reasons*, so much as the fear of how an England win would be weaponised by the worst elements of English society, and particularly by the poxy Tories, as we head towards 19 July.

*Well, I mean, not wholly.

Dr Rock

If England will there will be a 'Boris Bounce' I'm sure. Anyway I want whoever plays the best to win (if the score isn't 5-1 to Italy).

chveik

Quote from: pancreas on July 11, 2021, 07:18:02 PM
I don't personally give a shit about it either way. I don't associate myself with that flag, which seems to be a central conceit in all this. That flag represents oppression, stupidity, submission to US imperialism. It's like cheering for Brexit. On top of that people sing a song written by two cunts, one of whom blacked up to parody a black footballer. The whole thing is absolutely ghastly and I can't be doing with it.

The more level-headed question is: what outcome gives us the best chance to change things societally? My heart wants them to lose, but I suspect that will just snap everything back to normal—we won't get anywhere new. By contrast, my head says it's worth a punt to hope they win. Maybe some of the peasants will convince themselves it's not the only thing they can win. Maybe they can win something else—a pay rise, for example. It may help to break the serf mentality.

tl;dr go on Engerland my son.

in my experience a win like this changes fuck all in the society at large

Dr Rock

Keebleman

Where's my original post gone???  That was the whole theme of this thread!!

Gah!  Anyway, andiamo, ragazzi! Forza azzurri!

H-O-W-L

I don't give a shit but I hope we lose just so I can stop hearing self-righteous Americans talk about how violent English fans are while people regularly get shot in the mouth during their baseball riots. Sports violence is a ubquitous shit and needs wiping up across the globe, other-izing it as "English Violence" does fuck-all to resolve it. Tribal drum bullshit.

Kankurette

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 11, 2021, 08:59:38 PM
I don't give a shit but I hope we lose just so I can stop hearing self-righteous Americans talk about how violent English fans are while people regularly get shot in the mouth during their baseball riots. Sports violence is a ubquitous shit and needs wiping up across the globe, other-izing it as "English Violence" does fuck-all to resolve it. Tribal drum bullshit.
Same. Loads of Americans are getting on their high horse about England and forgetting how American football fans behave during the Superbowl. Either that or calling the team 'colonisers' and 'ugly whites'.

Fambo Number Mive

Barry Admin

Quote from: Keebleman on July 11, 2021, 08:53:16 PM
Where's my original post gone???  That was the whole theme of this thread!!

Gah!  Anyway, andiamo, ragazzi! Forza azzurri!

I moved it - and the rest of the thread - back to 2018, where they belong ;-)

Here:

Quote from: Keebleman on July 11, 2018, 03:48:58 PM
Why?  Well, mainly because I'm Welsh.

I'm not a nationalist, but I am a patriot: British first, Welsh second.  I can get behind British teams or competitors or artists as I feel that I am somehow represented by them, but when something is just characterized as 'English' I think, that's not me.

By the way, this is definitely a minority view in Wales: I saw the Sweden game in a pub in Pontypridd and most of those present were firmly behind England (they were locals: the students have gone home).  And, bizarrely, I was pleased and relieved about this!  Even more, I was proud!  Proud that not all of my fellow Welshmen have the same identity hang-ups I have.

But I don't think that it's just about me and my insecurities.  It's annoying when 'England' is used for 'United Kingdom' by foreigners, but when we do it ourselves it is infuriating.  Yet that is what is happening: British institutions - parliament, newspapers, the BBC - are treating this potential English triumph as if it was one and the same thing as a British triumph!

And the National Anthem!  They play the BRITISH Anthem for the ENGLISH team! It's not the bloody same thing!!  This careless confusion of the two only goes to confirm the prejudices of nationalist bigots (tautology alert).

At least the English flag is waved these days.  Footage of Wembley in 1966 shows the stadium full of Union Jacks with not a Cross of St George to be seen.

So what to do?  Simple: abolish the English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish teams and have them play as a UK team.  I'm going to write to the new Sports Minister, once I've looked up his/her name, and tell him/her what to do.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 11, 2021, 09:12:07 PM
I didn't know there were baseball riots in America.

Yeah I remember vividly in 2013 when the Red Sox won the World Series, Boston got fucking trashed, mostly because my ex was staying in Boston for the World Series, and it happens more often than that I just cannot be arsed to look up such wantonly pointless violence right now. Someone I know who lives in New Mexico has also told me about how she hears gunfire rattle off the second the Superbowl starts and usually three or four people get fucking killed over it. Total shite.

I've also heard some real righteous cunts say that the UK is criminal because it has a 38% domestic violence increase when England loses. That's true, but it's mirrored by comparable rises in domestic violence in every other country where it's measured-- and logically in the ones where it isn't. Superbowl weekend is the most dangerous weekend for violence in America, but aye, it's yearly, so they don't talk fuck-all about it.

canadagoose