Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids in the Hall - the reboot

Started by BeardFaceMan, July 11, 2021, 11:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Only just found out about this, but the Kids are doing a new sketch show series for Amazon. Fucking yay! All of them are involved too, they're just about to start shooting it. Let's use this thread to talk about how great they are.

bigfatheart

They're fucking ace. I'm curious as to how the reboot'll pan out - across the series, they seemed to drift apart, whipping back and forth between Bruce McCulloch's short films at one extreme and the more trad, studio-based sketches that I always assumed were written by Dave Foley at the other. Obviously they did Death Comes to Town which was a bit of a curious, Bruce-led League of Gentlemen homage, but presumably this'll be different. Who knows? At least Scott'll be in good health this time.

Here's my favourite sketch, I'll be very happy with anything approaching this.

Famous Mortimer

Icehaven

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 12, 2021, 12:12:33 AM
Bell...Biv...Devoe

Your Mother's left me... Seriously though this is really interesting, hope it's good and think/hope it probably will be.

Blumf

Bit worried, but looking back at their catalogue, they seem to be pretty consistent, so this should be good.

Shame Death Comes to Town never got much traction, lovely little gallery of grotesques.

Love Brain Candy, great 90s satire.

Icehaven

I could watch Kevin McDonald's face forever.

studpuppet

One of my proudest moments as a father was teaching my five year old to crush people's heads (with the accent).

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bigfatheart on July 11, 2021, 11:43:45 PM
They're fucking ace. I'm curious as to how the reboot'll pan out - across the series, they seemed to drift apart, whipping back and forth between Bruce McCulloch's short films at one extreme and the more trad, studio-based sketches that I always assumed were written by Dave Foley at the other. Obviously they did Death Comes to Town which was a bit of a curious, Bruce-led League of Gentlemen homage, but presumably this'll be different. Who knows? At least Scott'll be in good health this time.

Here's my favourite sketch, I'll be very happy with anything approaching this.

Can't seem to find much info, other than all 5 of them are involved, there'll be 8 episodes and Lorne Michaels is exec producing so I imagine it'll just be the format of their old sketch show with a mix of new and old characters. They actually started production on it last year but had to stop because of Covid and they resumed recently so if they haven't finished filming by now then they're close, not sure when it's going to be available though. Given their track record, I have faith that this will be great.

Mr Banlon

Has anyone ever seen Dave Foley and Isabella Rossellini in the same room ?

Shaky

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 12, 2021, 10:59:08 PM

Yes, and it was fucking horny.

Ham Bap

Love The Kids in the Hall. Probably like some on here i watched them religiously when Channel 4 showed it in the early/mid 90s. Then Brain Candy which is still available in full on Youtube. They'll always hold a special places for me, made me laugh like hell growing up. Some fantastic and surreal sketches.

I wish their series were available over in the UK to buy though. Id buy the shit out of them.

Theres only various scenes on Youtube, not full series. Ive also never watched Death comes to Town as its also not avilable to buy.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I had to buy their stuff on Region 1 DVD back when they were released, I think most people in this country would be unaware of them if they hadn't seen them on Channel 4 back when Channel 4 used to buy interesting foreign shows.

I see that Dave Foley has a podcast called "Don't Say 'Cunt'", thought I'd check that out to see if it had any new info but the podcast stopped last year around the time production initially started on the new show. I'm gonna check it out anyway, I'm in the mood for some KITH now, it's been a while.

Attila

Quote from: Ham Bap on July 13, 2021, 09:17:12 AM
Love The Kids in the Hall. Probably like some on here i watched them religiously when Channel 4 showed it in the early/mid 90s. Then Brain Candy which is still available in full on Youtube. They'll always hold a special places for me, made me laugh like hell growing up. Some fantastic and surreal sketches.

I wish their series were available over in the UK to buy though. Id buy the shit out of them.

Theres only various scenes on Youtube, not full series. Ive also never watched Death comes to Town as its also not avilable to buy.

Death Comes to Town is also up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kids+in+the+hall+death+comes+to+town

If you haven't seen it, it's loads of fun.

Ham Bap

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 12, 2021, 10:59:08 PM

It doesn't appear to be online, but they appeared together on an old episode of Late Night with Conan O'Brien where they had hair and makeup come out to prove they look alike when Foley's in drag.

(And count me in on the excitement - I know Julie Klausner's been enlisted as one of the writers, which is definitely a good call on KITH's part.)

mippy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kids-Hall-Complete-Collection-Digital/dp/B077MQC61T  if you can play Region 1.  This claims to be Region 2, which makes me think bootleg https://buydvdsonline.co.uk/dvd-releases-uk/kids-in-the-hall-complete-series/

Edgar Balloon III

Theres only various scenes on Youtube, not full series.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjT49Qgmns0cUCKbR7GYe6g/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I got the complete set on DVD and while listed as region 1, all the original seasons played on region 2 devices, with the exception of DCtT which required a region 1 player.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kids-Hall-Complete-Region-NTSC/dp/B004J713KQ

SteveDave

I bought series 1 on DVD (for something stupid like £8 from America) and the quality falls off after the first 4 or 5 shows but then I bought series 2 (which cost £35) and it's great all the way through.