Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:50:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your favourite Ed Sheeran song

Started by Wanking Monk of Kefalonia, July 12, 2021, 03:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I get really watery eyed at 'The Shape of You', by this boring, anodyne fanny. 

I really like that one about some lady from Ireland that he got make the beast with two backs with. Waterford Woman or something.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 12, 2021, 05:15:29 PM
I really like that one about some lady from Ireland that he got make the beast with two backs with. Waterford Woman or something.

Limerick Lassie
Tipperary Twat
Cavan Cunt

chveik

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You weren't driving at 90 down country lanes you lying twat. You're not a rally driver, you'd have crashed and died going that fast.

Joe Oakes

Naturally, I celebrate his entire catalogue, but if pushed at gunpoint, I 'd say his magnus opus was his self-written Heinz ketchup advert. He asks for tomato ketchup in a posh restaurant, because he's down to earth like us simple folk, while being paid millions by a multi-national company to do so.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 12, 2021, 07:11:25 PM
You weren't driving at 90 down country lanes you lying twat. You're not a rally driver, you'd have crashed and died going that fast.

Ed's "Godspeed You Black Emperor!" length song titles period was thankfully brief.

Greg Torso

Arrr Me Sexy Bawdy (lassies all over me)

rue the polywhirl

I like the one he did with Shakin Stevens, 'This Ole Lego House'.

For the record I hate Sheeran's dull music and the DJ thread was supposed to be the serious one.

Kankurette

The one about how COVID deniers are all cunts.

Castles on the Hill actually isn't a bad song.  It's the best thing I've heard from him.

willbo

I thought I hated him till the Divide album but i like "perfect"

markburgle

What I would say about Eddy baby is that he's very eclectic. I never heard him until I got a temp job in a warehouse. Songs kept jumping out on the radio playlist and I'd think "that's an annoying song, who is it?", and repeatedly the answer was Ed Sheeran. But the preceding ones never gave any clue to the next one - I was always surprised it was him, based on what I knew. You wouldn't think Shape of You and Galway Girl were the same artist.

who cares

Quote from: markburgle on July 12, 2021, 10:56:00 PM
You wouldn't think Shape of You and Galway Girl were the same artist.

don't know about Galway Girl, but I think Shape of You had about five writers. I suppose I'll have to google it now.

QuoteThe song was written by Sheeran, his regular writing partner Johnny McDaid, and the record producer Steve Ma. Though they were not directly involved in the song's creation, three other musicians, Kandi Burruss, Tameka Cottle, and Kevin Briggs, were also given a songwriting credit

Google tells me that Galway Girl has nine writers credited.

sevendaughters

I saw Ed Sheeran play to about 40 people in a bar in Manchester during In The City 2009 or 2010. He finished on an acoustic guitar/beatbox/looper version of In Da Club by 50 Cent. As I didn't expect him to go anywhere I gave a mild thumbs up in the review, and look what I gorn and done.

Based on initial ocular contact I can only name two of his songs - A Team and Shape of You - so I go for the last one as it isn't sung like some weird Jack Wills wearing wanker.

Quote from: who cares on July 12, 2021, 11:20:06 PM

Google tells me that Galway Girl has nine writers credited.

Bet they were fucking overjoyed to be included in the credits of that, although you do wonder how 9 people can have a creditable input into such a moronically derivative song.

sevendaughters

it's because the main melody of the song belongs to a 5-piece band. Ed's a genius, he only needs 3 people to finish it up.

idunnosomename

I sometimes sing Shape of You in major so it sounds like a cockeney knees up. Infinitely better

madhair60

My favourite Ed Sheeran song is his autobiographical composition I'm A Talentless Cunt Who Deserves to be Tortured to Death

idunnosomename

Quote from: madhair60 on July 13, 2021, 12:56:38 PM
My favourite Ed Sheeran song is his autobiographical composition I'm A Talentless Cunt Who Deserves to be Tortured to Death
i know you just wont stop singing it

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He's known for his crap tattoos, yeah? I want him to get one on his face, if he's that hardcore.

The Culture Bunker

Perhaps a sign of both my getting older but also the drop in ubiquity of radio that I couldn't recognise any Ed Sheeran song - same as the likes of Adele, Kanye West and pretty much most of the biggest pop stars in the world. It's all so easy to avoid these days.

My one memory of Sheeran's music was playing pool in a pub up in Glossop and they had some compilation CD on, during one song I said to my friend "fuck me, this is shit" and they told me it was the subject of this thread. But I think by the time the next song ended, I remembered absolutely nothing of the Sheeran song.

Just a contrast from 20/25 years ago - I couldn't hack Oasis, Robbie Williams or the Spice Girls, but I generally knew their biggest hits due to exposure on radio, TV or hearing them in shops.

Jockice

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 12, 2021, 08:56:54 PM
Castles on the Hill actually isn't a bad song.  It's the best thing I've heard from him.

Got to admit I don't mind this one. But that's because I spent part of my childhood on a council estate called Castlehill. However, when I was six years old I didn't break my leg. Although it's probably around that age I slid down a slope onto a broken bottle and cut one of my buttocks open. Which would probably have been a better start to the lyrics. I still have the scar if anyone wants to see it

And then there's that one about your legs not working like they used to. Tell me about it Ed

Jockice

And isn't it lovely? I'm pure peasant me. My nana and granda lived about 100 metres from these shops and we were on the next road up. Despite not having lived there since 1973 I can still remember what all the shops were. I think they've been knocked down and replaced by something else now though. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-residents-scared-sit-gardens-5886431

Kankurette

An Irish friend calls Galway Girl a 'hate crime'. It's definitely a crime against music.

idunnosomename

genuinely hope i can die never having heard galway girl

willbo

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 14, 2021, 01:54:02 AM
genuinely hope i can die never having heard galway girl

you are missing out. In my opinion, GG is the defining song of this generation - and one which will be loved years after all the cool/cult stuff here is forgotton. It's amazing - it has everything - the melodies of the Beatles, the punk edge, the lyrical wit of a Dylan or Tom Waits.

I've time-stamped the best part of the song - the part that captured my heart and ear-wormed it's way into my mind. If this does not convince you, nothing will. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Spoiler alert
(only joking, I've never knowingly heard it either and aren't really curious)
[close]

Jockice