Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your favourite Ed Sheeran song

Started by Wanking Monk of Kefalonia, July 12, 2021, 03:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

oh it's that song. It's ok I guess. As good as any modern dancey pop really.

idunnosomename

She's my Galway Girl
But she used to be Meath

Catalogue Trousers

The one that goes 'higgeldy haggeldy hoggeldy hey' and has some of that riverdance in it.

Steven88

I genuinely like The A team and Castle on the hill is alright but I probably couldn't name more than 5 songs by him.

Quote from: Jockice on July 13, 2021, 01:21:39 PM
And then there's that one about your legs not working like they used to. Tell me about it Ed

Melodically, that is a bit of a rip-off of Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On.

Jockice

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 18, 2021, 08:17:05 PM
Melodically, that is a bit of a rip-off of Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On.

Thought it sounded a bit familiar He should have called it Let's Get Those Legs Off.

Bently Sheds

I like the one where Ed and his five co-writer mates completely lifted the verse and chorus off that old song & just tweaked the melody a bit.

Captain Z

This is like one of those Oasis threads where everyone goes in full of venom but soon enough every single track they've ever made has been put forward as being 'alright'.

willbo

Chatting with The Sun, the English-born singer elaborated on his early fandom of metal, saying:

"I was really into death metal as a kid. I listened to Cradle of Filth and Slipknot and all that stuff. I'm not saying I could ever step into that world.

"I learnt all those riffs on guitar as a kid. That's something I've never thought about doing – but something I would not be opposed to creating."

idunnosomename

neither of those bands are death metal. well Cradle were early on before their first album. he means he played Enter Sandman on his dad's acoustic and felt bad ass.

badaids

Which one is the shortest?  That's the one I like best.

Joe Oakes

Is there anything this grubby monster won't ruin?  Music, Game of Thrones, ketchup and now football:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-58121177

I'm going to make a near-certain prediction for about sixty years from now: Sheeran will die and some Cookdandbomber of the future will post a thread titled Dead Sheeran.

Jockice

Quote from: Joe Oakes on August 07, 2021, 03:17:08 AM
Is there anything this grubby monster won't ruin?  Music, Game of Thrones, ketchup and now football:

At least Fulchester had Shakin' Stevens and Mick Hucknall Out Of Simply Red.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Joe Oakes on August 07, 2021, 03:17:08 AM

You've seen his art, right? The Pollock-plagiarising dog shit which he creates in minutes and then humbly professes "I just love art, me, love getting the paints out and having a great time, it's really easy, literally anyone could do this, anyone can be a genius, I hereby declare this to be the age of post-art and I'm the beaming creepy little poster boy prick of the scene, someone please kill me, I cannot be stopped and I deserve to be eviscerated by massive angry crabs."

jobotic

Last night you were in my room - and you were captured on CCTV, going in my underwear draw, so I'm going to the Old Bill.

Chicory

The new one's actually alright.  Nice little foot tapper.  He's not doing any rap singing, it's not a silly Justin Timberlake impression or another turgid Westlife B side.  It's most unlike him.

amateur

New one's a bit September - Cry For You. Which is a very large banger, so nothing wrong there.

It's also a bit Sigala/Sigma/anycunt could have made it. Which also isn't the end of the world, because it's not Galway Girl.

The Lazy Jay remix of Drunk is his best song, to answer the original question.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Watched a bit of one of The Hobbit films last night and I don't mind the song that plays over the credits.

gilbertharding

The thing I like about his lyrics is, you're never left struggling to figure out what any of it means. And I also like the way he very rarely takes the trouble to make the words fit the music.

I wish he'd fuck off and take his clone, the fucking gormless Lewis Capaldi with him.

Pauline Walnuts

I quite liked that one song I heard by that Maisey thingy that he's signed to his record company. I forget which.

Key

The song where he sings/raps(?!) 'They say I'm up and coming like I'm fucking in an elevator.' Conjures up images of a certain blonde Scottish duo.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Key on August 14, 2021, 02:01:52 PM
The song where he sings/raps(?!) 'They say I'm up and coming like I'm fucking in an elevator.' Conjures up images of a certain blonde Scottish duo.

I thought you were lying, so had to google it, and fuck me.

You Need Me, I Don't Need You

Now I'm in town, break it down (OK, if you insist, cunt), thinking of making a new sound
Playing a different show every night in front of a new crowd (Rhyming 'new' with 'new', lazy start, although admittedly there are only two words in the English language that rhyme with 'new')
That's you now (Grats, 'you' was one of the 2 words that rhyme with 'new'), ciao, seems that life is great now (He's abandoned the 2-syllable rhyme scheme after only 2.5 bars as 'great' doesn't rhyme with 'new', and to add insult to injury he's rhyming 'now with 'now', lazy bastard)
See me lose focus, as I sing to you loud (At least he doesn't use 'now' again)
And I can't, no, I won't hush (Bugger)
I'll say the words that make you blush (OK, ginge, I know who my money is on in this blush-off)
I'm gonna sing this now (back to the 'nows', the man is obsessed)
Oh oh (I'd probably have to actually listen to the song to understand the full subtext of this line)
See, I'm true, my songs are where my heart is (Is that so you can hoard your complementary Heinz mayonnaise sachets in your chest cavity?)
I'm like glue (Not to be ingested?), I stick to other artists (...Melodies?)
I'm not you, now that would be disastrous (That's being just mean, thought we were becoming firm friends)
Let me sing and do my thing and move to greener pastures (You're the one going around calling us disastrous, bit hypocritical, mate)
See, I'm real, I do it all, it's all me (Don't worry, we know you're real, you ask for ketchup in fancy restaurants)
I'm not fake, don't ever call me lazy (LAZY. Done it three times already, mucker, and it's still the first verse)
I won't stay put, give me the chance to be free (You know what the ultimate freedom is? Do it)
Suffolk sadly seems to sort of suffocate me (And even more sadly, your mother didn't. And it's a bit late for alliteration, it's going to take more than that to salvage this shitheap)

'Cause you need me, man, I don't need you
You need me, man, I don't need you
You need me, man, I don't need you at all
You need me, man, I don't need you at all
You need me (For the sake of clarity; so what you're trying to say is that they need you, but you don't need them?)

I sing and write my own tune and I write my own verse (Really? I assumed Aesop Rock was ghostwriting this Magnus Opus)
Hell, don't need another word-smith to make my tune sell (But their melodies certainly help)
Call yourself a singer-writer - you're just bluffing (Watch out now, Ed's coming in hard)
Your name's on the credits and you didn't write nothing (More importantly, what about the names NOT on the credits?)
I sing fast, I know that all my sh_t's cool (Think this is a misprint, should be SlimFast. The only other alternative is that he's really bragging about how fast he can sing, which would be preposterous even for him)
I will blast and I didn't go to Brit School (yes, Ed, we've established that you're straight from the streets)
I came fast with the way I act, right (Right?)
I can't last if I'm smoking on a crack pipe (Hang on, thought you were from the streets? Toke that shit up while stabbing a 'fella' (see later))
And I won't be a product of my genre
My mind will always be stronger than my songs are (After rhyming 'genre' with 'songs are', yes, I'd pray that your mind is stronger than your song writing capabilities)
Never believe the bullsh_t that fake guys feed to ya (Thank ya for the warning)
Always read the stories that you hear on Wikipedia (See not 'hear', Wikipedia is mainly a text based site, well, according to what I smelt on Google)
And musically I'm demonstrating (Demonstrating what? Or did you think that was an acceptable way to end a sentence?)
When I perform live, feels like I am meditating (Repeating the same thing until your mind turns to mush?)
Times at the Enterprise when some fella filmed me (Some 'fella'? alrite geez, bet that's just how you talk)
'A young singer-writer like Gabriella Cilmi' (OK, now I understand why he used the word fella, to crowbar in a terrible, terrible rhyme with Gabriella)

You need me, man, I don't need you, at all
You need me (Sorry to return to this, but just to be clear, are you implying that your need for them is lesser than their need for you?)

'Cause with the lyrics I'll be aiming it right
I won't stop 'til my name's in lights (Then why haven't you fucking stopped then? Liar)
At stadium heights with Damien Rice (I couldn't be arsed to google who Gabriella Cilmi is, so no chance of me looking up this cunt)
On red carpets, now I'm on Arabian Nights (Apparently, 'the red carpet' is the self-given nickname for his gooch hair)
Because I'm young I know my brother's gonna give me advice ("Hey, brother, if you play the radio in another room while you're sitting on the toilet, you can sort of make out newish melodies from the distorted songs, it sounds mad, but try it")
Long nighter, short height and I gone hyper (He has a complex about his height, doesn't he? Good)
Never be anything but a singer-songwriter, yeah (No, too modest, you're also; a rapper, an actor, a painter, a candlestick maker and most importantly an advert creator for Heinz)
The game's over but now I'm on a new level (New Game+? Respect)
Watch how I step on the track without a loop pedal ('Loop'! Well done, I knew you'd finally locate the last remaining word that (sort of) rhymes with 'new')
People think that I'm bound to blow up (Yes, I'd assume you'd be a prime target for suicide bombers. Ariana Grande RIP)
I've done around about a thousand shows (But not nearly enough in Manchester)
But I haven't got a house plus I live on a couch (I bet you own a house or three now, so what exactly were you boasting about and does it make you a lesser man now?)
So you can be the lyrics when I'm singing them out, wow (Wow, indeed)
From day one, I've been prepared
With vo5 wax for my ginger hair (And stanking red carpet)
So now I'm back to the sofa, giving a dose of what the future holds (Sofa? Hang on, aren't they usually situated in... in... dramatic pause... HOUSES?)
'Cause it's another day
Plus I'll keep my last name forever keep the genre pretty basic (He really likes the word 'genre', bless him)
Gonna be breaking into other people's tunes when I chase it (Your honour, he straight up says he steals other people's shit, case motherfucking closed)
And replace it with the elephant in the room with a facelift (Think he's still talking about stealing, but fuck knows)
Into another rapper's shoes using new laces ('Another rapper', right, so you are actually claiming to be a rapper? Wish I'd been harsher on him now)
I'm selling CD's from my rucksack aiming for the papers
Selling CD's from my rucksack aiming for the majors (Because true artists who don't care about owning houses only want to be on major labels)
Nationwide tour with just jack, still had to get the bus back (Sounds like hard times, hope you pulled through)
Clean cut kid without a razor for the mustache (Don't carry blades, kids)
I hit back when the pen hurts me (You could just stop doing your own tattoos with a biro)
I'm still a choir boy in a Fenchurch tee (Can't wait for the upcoming Fenchurch advert, where down-to-earth Ed insists on wearing his white Fenchurch t-shirt to his mother's funeral, but his uppity posho family members think it's crass)
I'm still the same as a year ago (I would argue that you are a year older, but go on)
But more people hear me though (Yay)
According to the MySpace and YouTube videos (Due to my expert internet culture knowledge, I suspect that the MySpace reference indicates that this might not be a recent song)
I'm always doing shows if I'm not I'm in the studio (We get it already, you work very hard, like miners and Amazon employees)
Truly broke (Again, tying his talent to his paycheck, wonder how that pans out), never growing up call me Ruffio (No, I'd rather call you cunt, cunt, if that's OK with you?)
Melody music maker (More like Melody music appropriator, am I right, guys? Guys?)
Reading all the papers (Yeah, this must be an ancient song, '70s?)
They say I'm up and coming like I'm f_cking in an elevator (So, here we are, at the line that dragged me into this hellhole of achingly awful lyricism. Obviously, it's 'lift' not 'elevator'. But that's not even the worse thing about it. Currently leading my top 10 reasons to despise this lyric is the fact that he chose to end on it, like it's his ultimate mic-drop moment)

You need me, man, I don't need you (I think I'm starting to get what he's saying in the chorus now. He's suggesting that he doesn't need you to need him to need you to need me to need them to need us. At all. Man.)

Key

My god I'd never heard the rest of it. What a truly audacious piece of self-mythologising.

Quote from: Bently Sheds on July 19, 2021, 02:31:44 PM
I like the one where Ed and his five co-writer mates completely lifted the verse and chorus off that old song & just tweaked the melody a bit.

Bad Habits seems to borrow the melody from Pink's Get the Party Started.