Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The BBC is not naming Soldier F for legal reasons

Started by touchingcloth, July 13, 2021, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57825284

QuoteThe SDLP leader Colum Eastwood has used parliamentary privilege to identify a former soldier facing two murder charges over his actions on Bloody Sunday.

The Foyle MP named Soldier F during a debate in the House of Commons on the Armed Forces Bill on Tuesday afternoon.

The soldier is also facing five attempted murder charges.
He had been granted anonymity by the judge hearing the case.

The BBC is not naming Soldier F for legal reasons.

What do you think these reasons are? And do you think they would cover a cheeky link to Hansard?

sevendaughters

The whole thing is an establishment fit up job. That's why they're not being named, with some spurious handwringing about ethics as their official reason.

Buelligan

It's weird, not naming when everyone knows the name.  Not sure what is point, unless point is to make it even plainer than ever how completely fucked up everything is.

bgmnts

By granting him anonymity, what's to stop him from doing it again?

Buelligan

Mobius

Took me ages to find his name just now

It's David Cleary in case you didn't realise. Vid of the bloke naming him in parliament here

idunnosomename

the express is a bizarre paper really. i never really understand it and who buys it

it's owned by Reach PLC, essentially the Mirror, who also own the The Star.

yeah I know who cares, but this propaganda gets displayed in every supermarket in the country and taken at face-value by our national broadcaster that is funded by a poll tax

Joe Oakes

According to my sources, his middle name is 'Indy'.

Wonderful Butternut

BoJo: Apologises to the families of people murdered by British forces.[nb]Not Blboody Sunday obviously, cos he wasn't PM when any inquiries were complete. But he did apologise to the families of the Ballymurphy shooting victims. They told him to fuck off.[/nb]
Also BoJo: Blocks attempts to persecute the British forces responsible.

canadagoose

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on July 14, 2021, 12:01:24 AM
BoJo: Apologises to the families of people murdered by British forces.[nb]Not Blboody Sunday obviously, cos he wasn't PM when any inquiries were complete. But he did apologise to the families of the Ballymurphy shooting victims. They told him to fuck off.[/nb]
Also BoJo: Blocks attempts to persecute the British forces responsible.

Prosecute, surely?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: canadagoose on July 14, 2021, 01:10:21 AM
Soldier Indy F. Horse

Soldier F Indy House: Harold Faltermeyer considers rewrite.