Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, July 14, 2021, 06:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on July 20, 2021, 05:27:58 PM
Hitler wasn't a veggie.

He just avoided meat because it gave him IBS I believe.

The Fruit Bat theory still stands though.

chveik

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 20, 2021, 05:30:22 PM
Hitler was a mineral.

No he wasn't, he was part of The Greatest Generation.

Makes you think.

who cares

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 20, 2021, 05:13:25 PM
With regards to you being 'edgy,' I quote back to you your username.

I didn't think it was 'edgy,' I just took madhair's ball and ran with it. It's clearly a ridiculous standpoint

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 20, 2021, 05:07:37 PM
Someone with the username 'Cold Meat Platter' has ludicrous anti-vegetarianism viewpoints.  Colour me shocked!

You don't get a joke. Colour me shocked.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 20, 2021, 05:13:25 PM
With regards to you being 'edgy,' I quote back to you your username.

My username is both the most low carbon and most efficient transportation solution, so you can all fuck of f

idunnosomename

uwwaaa baby hitleru-kun desu~~~

Bronzy

Stalin was just as bad.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 20, 2021, 06:12:02 PM
You don't get a joke. Colour me shocked.

Jokes are supposed to be funny though; not a thinly veiled means to belittle people who actually care for and want to protect animals.  Go eat a pig if you must.  Yet, note that pigs are literally more intelligent than dogs.  Does that not bother you, or do you just choose to avoid eating the animals which are cute and furry?  Bet you'd think eating a dog would be wrong though, yeah?  That's rather hypocritical, don't you think?

Also, now I've been triggered and am on the subject; "Oooohhhhhhh, Hitler was a vegetarian!". Gotta love how morons think that's some sort of sick burn and the ultimate reason to avoid being an advocate for animal welfare.  Well done, you managed to name literally one megalomaniac shithead from all of human history who didn't eat meat.  I can name you twenty dozen cunts that did.  It's not the trump card that meat eaters seem to think that it is.  Newsflash: it's possible to be a genocidal cunt and someone who loves animals.  It's almost as though even the most evil of people are multifaceted, complex individuals and not merely one note, moustache twirling pantomime villains.

It's "fine" that you choose to eat meat but it's not fine to try to shame and gaslight vegetarians for actively choosing not to harm animals.

St_Eddie

Kankurette

The 'ahh Hitler was a vegetarian ahh' gotcha annoys me because it's an urban legend. Hitler did go through a veggie phase but that was it. Generally, he was a meat eater.

Ornlu

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 19, 2021, 12:25:23 PM
Stating why you don't eat meat is not preaching - it's campaigning, advocacy, it's standing up for the rights of animals, standing against animal cruelty and suffering.

Literally some of the preachiest activities there are!

I hardly eat meat anymore but I wouldn't dream of trying to change someone else's mind over it.

bgmnts

I don't racially abuse people anymore but I wouldn't dream of trying to change someone else's mind over it.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Ornlu on July 21, 2021, 02:33:45 PM
Literally some of the preachiest activities there are!

Do you find it preachy when literally anyone or any group stands up for the rights of others? Do you find Black Lives Matter preachy?

Quote from: Ornlu on July 21, 2021, 02:33:45 PMI hardly eat meat anymore but I wouldn't dream of trying to change someone else's mind over it.

I have no idea what your motivation behind not eating meat is, but the difference between someone eating meat and someone not eating meat is not equivalent to, say, two 'differences of opinion' or two people having different favourite colours or something. Whether you like it or not, the choice comes with an ethical dimension and is about making an active decision about whether or not to engage in and support/finance harmful activities.

earl_sleek

I love vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one!!!1

Chedney Honks

It's often said that "eating an animal is respecting an animal."

I can kind of see what they're saying but it's more complex than that, in my opinion.

Mr Banlon

I remember when someone burnt down Hannah Gordon's cottage because 'Hitler was a watercolourist'. Probably by the same sort of people who always point out that 'Hitler was a vegetarian'.
Luckily she was alerted to the blaze by her two dogs, Adolf and Bernard Manning.

Blumf

Having looked after chickens, I can say that they fucking deserve to be eaten. Bunch of bullying cunts, do not give a fuck about each other or even their own chicks.

Ducks, on the other hand, great bunch of lads.

Sebastian Cobb

My aunt's hens seemed to get on fine with each other but ostracised one of them which had no tail feathers (possibly plucked out).

She ended up fucking off the hen house and taking refuge between the two sheep dogs which slept on some bedding in their utility room, the dogs seemed fine with it.

Pink Gregory

One of my mum's hens raised two ducklings as their mother.

Both ducks are now dead, but I'm fairly sure that's unrelated

zomgmouse

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 21, 2021, 02:58:00 PM
Do you find it preachy when literally anyone or any group stands up for the rights of others? Do you find Black Lives Matter preachy?

let's not start going down the road of comparing animal rights to human rights. no matter the degree of "animal lives are an ethical matter" you believe in, it's highly insensitive at best.

not that you've done this but it's on the road to start using slavery and holocaust metaphors which i've seen far too much of.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 23, 2021, 02:12:14 AM
let's not start going down the road of comparing animal rights to human rights. no matter the degree of "animal lives are an ethical matter" you believe in, it's highly insensitive at best.

not that you've done this but it's on the road to start using slavery and holocaust metaphors which i've seen far too much of.

I agree, it is indeed a tricky road to go down, but I still think the parallels are instructive and it is possible for the arguments to be made sensitively - albeit by people better qualified than me. I have heard, for example, that the slavery argument is very readily invoked among (some) Black vegans. Likewise, I have heard from an Israeli vegan friend of mine that the Holocaust parallels are not considered as 'controversial' within Israel as outside it. I avoid all such parallels because I don't possess the lived experience, knowledge or background to make the argument with the sensitivity it requires (and it's also one that requires a lot of 'explaining' before you can even remotely - if ever - get people onside with it), not to mention that the argument for veganism can easily be made in a ton of ways before you start getting into the prickly, minefield-strewn terrain of slavery and the Holocaust. Regarding slavery, though, I don't see anything wrong with the simple argument that if you're against human slavery, why on earth do behaviours comparable to slavery suddenly become tolerable when used against non-human animals? Remember, for many, many vegan activists I know and have read about, veganism and animal rights activism is a logical extension of their natural compassion towards fellow humans and engagement in human rights activism.

Chedney Honks

Not being obtuse but are work animals like horses and oxen frowned upon?

I never thought about it until now.

If not, I understand, but how are they going to pay their way?

bgmnts

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 23, 2021, 02:12:14 AM

To be fair, torturing and slaughtering billions of sentient beings and destroying their habitats etc is insensitive at best.

zomgmouse

Quote from: bgmnts on July 23, 2021, 09:16:58 AM
To be fair, torturing and slaughtering billions of sentient beings and destroying their habitats etc is insensitive at best.

cool! you can argue that without bringing it back to human atrocities. thanks

bgmnts

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 23, 2021, 09:40:14 AM
cool! you can argue that without bringing it back to human atrocities. thanks

Why do you think human atrocities happen in the first place? What mindset do you think people have to have to commit them?

non capisco

Quote from: Blumf on July 21, 2021, 03:55:49 PM
Ducks, on the other hand, great bunch of lads.

Ducks are gang rapists! Get them into my succulent chinese meal, that'll teach the cunts.

bomb_dog

Quote from: olliebean on July 20, 2021, 10:06:56 AM
Winner Winner Fidget Spinner
Winner Winner B. F. Skinner
Winner Winner Vincent Pinner

Dinner dinner Michael Winner

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain why on earth do behaviours comparable to slavery suddenly become tolerable when used against non-human animals?

This will initially come across as a boring rug-pull of 'plants have feelings too' so bear with me. These 'behaviours' are carried out in arable farming. Moving away from the ethical point, which I will return to, it is that way because it what is required to deliver the quantity of food at the price people can afford.

The relevant point here is that you would object to an animal dying for food in nearly every situation. Your objection isn't restricted to industrial meat and dairy farming or its similarity to concentration camps or slavery, but the eating of meat and food containing animal products regardless of the process. The threshold was breached at the source which is the principle itself.

So the invocation of slavery is completely irrelevant if trying to convert people to veganism. Something that is completely unacceptable was already completely unacceptable and there are no acceptable degrees of something you find completely unacceptable.

In that context, invoking slavery and the holocaust (I note you have said above that as a white non-Jew you don't feel comfortable with either) is unnecessary, doesn't get to the nub of it and risks alienating the people you are trying to convert by being so extreme and making them feel like the worst people on Earth. Who persuades people best, those who want to be right or those that want to be liked?

Kankurette

Jews and black people have a history of being compared to animals - still happens, I might add, just look at the gorilla emojis black footballers get aimed at them on social media when they have a bad game. It's one reason why both Jews and black people have complained about PETA comparing the meat industry to slavery and the Holocaust.