Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, July 14, 2021, 06:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 19, 2021, 10:18:59 PM
I think the phrase WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER is absolute peak shit for cunts.

Somewhat surprisingly there is a wooden memorial bench in Holland Park in London with an inscription that includes the phrase "Winner winner chicken dinner".

Chollis

Quote from: bgmnts on July 23, 2021, 09:55:26 AM
Why do you think human atrocities happen in the first place? What mindset do you think people have to have to commit them?

let's ask famous vegetarian Adolf Hitler

bgmnts

Quote from: Chollis on July 23, 2021, 12:14:12 PM
let's ask famous vegetarian Adolf Hitler

He was a vegetarian toward the end of his life but what is the point?

Quote from: bgmnts on July 23, 2021, 12:43:28 PM
He was a vegetarian toward the end of his life but what is the point?

Never too late to make a change.

chveik

Quote from: Kankurette on July 23, 2021, 11:28:09 AM
Jews and black people have a history of being compared to animals - still happens, I might add, just look at the gorilla emojis black footballers get aimed at them on social media when they have a bad game. It's one reason why both Jews and black people have complained about PETA comparing the meat industry to slavery and the Holocaust.

they're not compared to animals in that way, it's the processus of domination that is. and obviously some jewish people that were in the camps made that analogy

bgmnts

Quote from: chveik on July 23, 2021, 02:47:32 PM
they're not compared to animals in that way, it's the processus of domination that is. and obviously some jewish people that were in the camps made that analogy

It's the comparison to animals by the perpetrators that allows this stuff to happen. That's the whole fucking point like.

Maybe if we actually showed animals some basic respect and didn't see them purely as walking meat or profit, maybe we'd be a bit nicer to people and horrid cunts wouldn't see groups of people as rats or dogs and treat them as such.

Never happen but still it's basic.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 23, 2021, 02:12:14 AM
let's not start going down the road of comparing animal rights to human rights. no matter the degree of "animal lives are an ethical matter" you believe in, it's highly insensitive at best.

not that you've done this but it's on the road to start using slavery and holocaust metaphors which i've seen far too much of.

Christ he will probably steal my car next

PlanktonSideburns

You gotta admit there are some parallels between humans and animals, comparing two different things, then someone says 'no no, can we please not talk about these things along side eachother, they are different' there are parallels worth discussing there surely?

who cares

I'm not sure if some people think that humans have a monopoly on suffering. Animals do suffer- we feel it and can relate to it. One can feel the sadness of a dog whose 'owner' has died, or the pain in an injured animal; or the anxiety of a trapped bird.

For me a comparison between human tragedies and the suffering of animals in the factory farming process is absolutely valid. Animals have emotions like us, they suffer pain and distress like we do.

idunnosomename

i mean say what you want about the Greater German Reich but at least their smoothies didnt try to be funny

imitationleather

Quote from: bgmnts on July 23, 2021, 02:55:12 PM
It's the comparison to animals by the perpetrators that allows this stuff to happen. That's the whole fucking point like.

Maybe if we actually showed animals some basic respect and didn't see them purely as walking meat or profit, maybe we'd be a bit nicer to people and horrid cunts wouldn't see groups of people as rats or dogs and treat them as such.

Never happen but still it's basic.

Thing is though, your general hateful attitude to all of humanity does kind of make me think your view on this issue probably isn't the most rational one out there. Not saying I don't like you or value your opinion, but you don't half go on about how you hate humans a lot and I don't feel the same myself.

FWIW I do see the point of view of vegans and I often feel guilty about my meat consumption and I ideally would like to change my consumption of food products. When Nev and so on states his reasons for not consuming meat it does make me think about myself and how I could change.

gib

you never see them brushing ants out of their path do you and that would save a lot more lives

St_Eddie

Quote from: imitationleather on July 24, 2021, 12:59:38 AMI do see the point of view of vegans and I often feel guilty about my meat consumption and I ideally would like to change my consumption of food products.

Just not quite ideally enough to make the decision to not eat meat?  Realising and acknowledging that you're doing something wrong is basically the same thing as choosing not to do that thing... right?  As long as you feel bad about it, then it's not as though you have to do anything to change the situation...

Choosing not to eat meat is literally a choice someone privileged enough to exist within a first world country can make; the choice not to consume sentient beings, simply because we don't need to do so in order to survive.  The choice not to contribute to an industry of needless death and cruel suffering, for no other reason than selfishly satisfying one's own palate.  You're in an ideal position to make that choice.  That's the ideal situation you find yourself in.

Quote"You ever been to Ireland, Alan?"

"No, no. I'd love to go."

"It amazes me when people say that and it's only forty-nine quid on a plane."

Choosing not to eat meat would literally cost you nothing.

Jim Bob

Boomshakalaka.  Edit glitch removal.

Chedney Honks

Humans are animals. Animals eat other animals. Ergo, let's all have a big bowl of bacon.

🐽🐽🐽

willbo

I've tried to be vegetarian and pescatarian on and off throughout my life, partly because I feel uncomfortable about the meat industry and partly because I don't like meat that much. The thing I struggle with is that I don't find veggie food that filling. Whenever I have soy Linda McCartney type burgers or whatever I always end up just eating piles of them, or just eating tons of cheese and eggs.

I think one thing a lot of the "boomers" who make fun of veggie burgers and hot dogs forget is, burgers and hot dogs aren't real meat, and most of the real ones contain tons of soy and filler as well. So it's not really that big a change. But even the stuff that tries to emulate real chicken, so what? If someone likes meat, gives it up for ethical/eco reasons, and a fake steak helps them ...so what? "Boomers" raging about fake meat is stupid.

olliebean

Quote from: willbo on July 24, 2021, 07:27:14 AM
I've tried to be vegetarian and pescatarian on and off throughout my life, partly because I feel uncomfortable about the meat industry and partly because I don't like meat that much. The thing I struggle with is that I don't find veggie food that filling. Whenever I have soy Linda McCartney type burgers or whatever I always end up just eating piles of them, or just eating tons of cheese and eggs.

Just have a load of pasta or rice with it?

Icehaven

Quote from: willbo on July 24, 2021, 07:27:14 AM

I think one thing a lot of the "boomers" who make fun of veggie burgers and hot dogs forget is, burgers and hot dogs aren't real meat, and most of the real ones contain tons of soy and filler as well. So it's not really that big a change. But even the stuff that tries to emulate real chicken, so what? If someone likes meat, gives it up for ethical/eco reasons, and a fake steak helps them ...so what? "Boomers" raging about fake meat is stupid.

Fake meat has been around for ages, it's the recent upsurge in veganism that they're really reacting to because they take lifestyle choices different to theirs, usually of younger people, as a personal insult. In fairness they aren't the first generation to do that, they're just the first to have the internet to rant about it on.

imitationleather

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2021, 03:05:35 AM
Just not quite ideally enough to make the decision to not eat meat?  Realising and acknowledging that you're doing something wrong is basically the same thing as choosing not to do that thing... right?  As long as you feel bad about it, then it's not as though you have to do anything to change the situation...

Choosing not to eat meat is literally a choice someone privileged enough to exist within a first world country can make; the choice not to consume sentient beings, simply because we don't need to do so in order to survive.  The choice not to contribute to an industry of needless death and cruel suffering, for no other reason than selfishly satisfying one's own palate.  You're in an ideal position to make that choice.  That's the ideal situation you find yourself in.

Choosing not to eat meat would literally cost you nothing.

This is why it's always tricky to get into a conversation about eating meat. I don't disagree with the arguments for giving up meat, and am aware there really aren't any counterpoints I can make myself that stand up to scrutiny. But being told to just stop doing it then in such stark terms does make me think "You know what? You don't get to tell me what to do like that! I'm going to continue forever!" It's a bit like when people try to get my mum to stop smoking.

I will add that I probably only eat meat a couple of times a week anyway.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

"Hitler was vegetarian"
say cliched cunt contrarians
As if, an ordinary one,
He might stand for them all.
Such assertions need redress:
He loved meat, but was told "eat less"
By doctors due to IBS.
Just in: He had two balls.

Icehaven

Just seen an ad for Virgin broadband and the small print at the end said "Legal stuff applies." Useful.

AngryGazelle

Veganism really does get peoples backs up, on both sides of the argument.

For what it's worth, I'm vegan -- I will never pay for a sentient being to be slaughtered, simply so that I can have some sensory pleasure. It really is cruel and unnecessary -- the sad thing is, I think that most people wouldn't even support meat eating if we weren't all socially conditioned to do so.     

Kankurette

I ate a lot of veggie meals as a kid because my dad didn't eat meat. Not that we never ate meat, Mum just liked veggie food as well and she and my stepdad eat less meat now. I get as much sensory pleasure from things like chocolate or rice or Quorn or red peppers.

I don't have a problem with veganism - I got into oat milk last year and loved it. What I do have a problem with is people trying to convert me and that goes for anything, be it Christianity or Liverpool FC. Going on and on at me and guilt tripping me is not going to make me change my mind.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Kankurette on August 02, 2021, 04:46:24 PM
I don't have a problem with veganism - I got into oat milk last year and loved it. What I do have a problem with is people trying to convert me and that goes for anything, be it Christianity or Liverpool FC. Going on and on at me and guilt tripping me is not going to make me change my mind.

Not my place to try and convert you anyway, as I don't even know you.

Just keep in mind that anyone trying to convert you through tactics such as guilt tripping, is probably doing so because they feel as passionate about animal rights, as I would assume you do about something like racism.

I understand that eating meat is the norm, therefore it is not seen by most people as something that is wrong. That does not make it right though, just socially acceptable.

bgmnts

Dont really think it's the same to be honest.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: bgmnts on August 02, 2021, 05:55:36 PM
Dont really think it's the same to be honest.

Not sure if you're replying to me, mate  if so which part? My post maybe wasn't too clear :)

chveik

there's no need guilt-tripping, just meat eaters feeling guilty and shifting the blame

idunnosomename

cant this thread be just about talking toilets and cutesy smoothies plz

bgmnts

Quote from: AngryGazelle on August 02, 2021, 07:45:03 PM
Not sure if you're replying to me, mate  if so which part? My post maybe wasn't too clear :)

Oh no sorry I dont think that supporting animal cruelty is the same moral decision as supporting a football team or supporting religious dogma or whatever.