Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do kids these days have any time travel shows or films?

Started by Replies From View, July 14, 2021, 12:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

New shows and films, I mean, as kids don't want to watch "boring old" Back to the Future or Bill and Ted, even the cartoon versions.

Doctor Who is barely on and won't register with children now, unless their parents are pushing them into it.

So what hope is there now for kids to be inspired by time travel?  Are computer games going it?

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno. I watched The Adjustment Bureau the other week and it was just a less charming, less gothy version of Dark City.

idunnosomename

Kids these days do not have any time travel shoes.

Icehaven

Does Rick and Morty count? I haven't watched it a massive amount but I remember there being alternate dimensions a few times which is sort of like time travel, and I'm sure plenty of kids will watch it whether it's suitable for them or not.

Butchers Blind

I used to like time travel, but that's all in the past now.

shiftwork2

Kids these days wouldn't even have Oxygen if I was in charge.

shiftwork2

Sorry, that came across as slightly misanthropic.  Bit of an over reaction to my too-green banana this lunchtime.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 14, 2021, 01:10:17 PM

Be the change you want to see.

Thomas

Quote from: Replies From View on July 14, 2021, 12:54:48 PM
kids don't want to watch "boring old" Back to the Future

i guess you guys are ready for this now, but your kids are gonna hate it

Blumf

The Tomorrow People are yesterday's news[nb]There was a US remake in 2013, only one season, 45% on Rotten Tomatoes[/nb]

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on July 14, 2021, 01:30:08 PM
The Tomorrow People are yesterday's news[nb]There was a US remake in 2013, only one season, 45% on Rotten Tomatoes[/nb]

I watched the reboot in the 90's as a kid and I think I found it mediocre but am quite tempted to try the original 70's version at some point.

Alberon

They rebooted it a second time just a couple of years back in the US.

EDIT: Doh, just saw the footnote.

dissolute ocelot

Madeleine L'Engel's YA book A Wrinkle in Time and its many sequels seem popular with the kids; there was a 2018 film which was a bit of a flop, so maybe it's not that popular (although the film had an insanely huge budget so probably required every future human being to travel back in time and go see it).

There are also sort of time-travel-adjacent things like the teen anime
Spoiler alert
Your Name
[close]
(revealing the theme/name is a slight spoiler).

I hear Goodnight Sweetheart is big with the kids.

EDIT: There's a vast list of other books here and I'm sure I've seen one or two lying around in a teen-adjacent position.

Small Man Big Horse

Legends Of Tomorrow - Is a long(ish) running US show where a bunch of DC characters fuck about in time, I don't know how it does in the ratings but critically it's acclaimed.

Marvel's Loki series wrapped up its first season and time travel was a big part of it.

ZoyzaSorris

Kids these days wouldn't even have Oxygene if I was in charge.

Are you saying that you'd travel back in time to assasinate Jean Michel Jarre?

touchingcloth

Mister Six

But that's one of the best Doctor Who episodes.

Zetetic

It's all computer games these days. Do loops count as a kind of time travel?

touchingcloth

Brundle-Fly