Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alex Kidd remake

Started by Magnum Valentino, July 14, 2021, 01:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

I see there's a remake of Alex Kidd in Miracle World out (or due out shortly) in which you can flip from the new graphics and sound to the original any time you like.

Would this mean either the new visuals would have identical physics to the original or the new physics (which there's bound to be) would apply to the original look?

Like I suppose I'm asking is one of the visual options a 'skin'?

Was the original of this anyone else's first game ever?

The Culture Bunker

Despite having a Master System, I never played the original as I wasn't that keen on platform games. Later models came with it as the built-in game, but mine had Hang-On and Safari Hunt.

madhair60

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 14, 2021, 01:29:52 PM
I see there's a remake of Alex Kidd in Miracle World out (or due out shortly) in which you can flip from the new graphics and sound to the original any time you like.

Would this mean either the new visuals would have identical physics to the original or the new physics (which there's bound to be) would apply to the original look?

Like I suppose I'm asking is one of the visual options a 'skin'?

Was the original of this anyone else's first game ever?

Remake's shit says some death-deserving cunt: https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/alex_kidd_in_miracle_world_dx

Spiteface

There are still people who call him "Alex the Kid"

I know a few.

Consignia

I watched a playthrough a couple of weeks ago. Despite loving the original as a kid, just watching it left me a bit cold. I acutally think the game wasn't that good and nostalgia googles did a lot (as evidenced by emulator playthoughs years later). It's a shame because I did like the Dragon's Curse remake recently, and that was just the old game with a new lick of paint. I think the difference was, Dragon's Curse was actually good.

Magnum Valentino

Love everyone in the comments pointing out that the review is invalid as other sites are giving it less critical criticism.

Nice one Madders. Exactly what I was looking for.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Spiteface on July 14, 2021, 01:45:47 PM
There are still people who call him "Alex the Kid"

I know a few.

I'm one of them. Mainly because the words "Alex the kid" always seemed to scan so naturally into the theme-music. Got it playing in my head right now.

Alex the kid
Alex the Kid
Alex the kid, the kid, the kid

Alex the kid
Alex the kid
He's a fuck-ing kiiiiid!

Another flaw that review doesn't mention is that some of the new sprites don't properly match up with the originals, but the hit boxes stay exactly the same.

So in both cases, Alex's punch will break the block, but with the new graphics he's not even close to touching it.

There's also this jarring situation where there's a thunderstorm, but they've only got the one rearranged Petitcoper theme which doesn't suit it at all:

https://youtu.be/EvPAUeVSP4o?t=362

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 14, 2021, 02:19:11 PM
I'm one of them. Mainly because the words "Alex the kid" always seemed to scan so naturally into the theme-music. Got it playing in my head right now.

Alex the kid
Alex the Kid
Alex the kid, the kid, the kid

Alex the kid
Alex the kid
He's a fuck-ing kid!

That's cos it's;

Miracle World
Miracle World
It's Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Miracle World
Miracle World
And Mario can get to fuck

Malcy

I now have the Alex Kidd in Shinobi World theme stuck in my head. I think. Not a bad thing. I'm sure I've played a few other games that you can switch from updated to original graphics. Buggered if I can remember what though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Malcy on July 14, 2021, 03:01:52 PM
I now have the Alex Kidd in Shinobi World theme stuck in my head. I think. Not a bad thing. I'm sure I've played a few other games that you can switch from updated to original graphics. Buggered if I can remember what though.
'Day of the Tentacle', 'Grim Fandango' and 'Full Throttle' on PS4 (and presumably other playforms) have this option. The re-release of the first Monkey Island on PC also allowed you to switch.

Malcy

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 14, 2021, 03:05:26 PM
'Day of the Tentacle', 'Grim Fandango' and 'Full Throttle' on PS4 (and presumably other playforms) have this option. The re-release of the first Monkey Island on PC also allowed you to switch.

Ah ok, I was thinking more old Mega Drive games and the like. Have just downloaded Grim Fandango on Game Pass so will be good to switch and see the difference.

H-O-W-L

Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniversary too.

Replies From View

Nostalgia Nerd has reviewed it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOvtLIE48AA

The physics are not identical.

Edit:  the hitbox thing already mentioned upthread

Replies From View

The thing about Alex Kidd in Miracle World, right....... scissors, paper, stone

You have to win at scissors, paper, stone.  It's not a good thing.

Consignia

Quote from: Replies From View on July 14, 2021, 08:23:41 PM
The thing about Alex Kidd in Miracle World, right....... scissors, paper, stone

You have to win at scissors, paper, stone.  It's not a good thing.

The trick is each boss has a specific pattern. It's not random.

Replies From View

Quote from: Consignia on July 14, 2021, 08:56:47 PM
The trick is each boss has a specific pattern. It's not random.

Don't you basically just need to play it once, either win or lose by chance, and write down all the answers for next time?  I'm not sure it's a predictable pattern.

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on July 14, 2021, 09:20:37 PM
Don't you basically just need to play it once, either win or lose by chance, and write down all the answers for next time?  I'm not sure it's a predictable pattern.

It's the same pattern until you lose/miss a round at which point it changes.

Replies From View

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on July 14, 2021, 09:50:18 PM
Well anyway it is bad.

yes. They should absolutely have changed it, or at least included an alternative option

samadriel

I found the remake really annoying. The collision detection is better on the old-fashioned graphics, but still imperfect, and I hate the physics -- you seem to start moving at top speed straight away, but your top speed isn't fast enough, so you've got the worst of both worlds. Some of the new boss fights are horrifically difficult - the scissor-head one with the random dropping boulders is especially ridiculous. I don't know how anyone short of a pro speedrunner could complete it without infinite lives - the poor controls make even normal level traversal a hideous death frenzy. I haven't finished it - there's a room that fills with toxic green slime too fast for me to overcome the poor controls and break through, so I've just given up on the shite. I don't know if the poor controls are a new thing, but I could swear the controls were better on the Master System; that or the collision detection was better so I didn't keep dying at the slightest hint of danger.