Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:57:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It doesn't matter what else he or she does, they'll always be...

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 14, 2021, 04:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Or the "They might be a great actor who you love in a variety of different roles, but you always think of them as one specific character" thread. And I'm not sure how much mileage this has in it, but due to watching Gunpowder Milkshake I found myself thinking "Hey, it's Tyres from Spaced". And I bloody love Michael Smiley, and think he's pretty superb in everything he does, but it's always "Oh, so that's what Tyres from Spaced is up to these days".

The same applies with Kyle MacLachlan as Agent Dale Cooper, whatever film or tv show he is my mind has decided he's still playing Cooper, but is just undercover and that's why he's not talking about Diane and trying to have sex with Heather Graham.

So is anyone else's brain quite irritating like this?

paddy72

Roy Scheider.

Even when he peels off that woman suit in Naked Lunch, my brain just thinks Chief Brody has turned up.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

In a similar vein, Colin Hanks will always be Tom Hank's son, no matter what he does in his career. Your first thought when you see him on screen will always be, "Oh, it's Colin Hanks, son of Tom Hanks" not "Oh, it's Colin Hanks".

mothman

Damn, I hate threads like these. Because while these are the exact sorts of thoughts I have all the time[nb]Often in the shower[/nb], but when I see one posted, can I think of any examples? Can I fuck.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: mothman on July 14, 2021, 06:34:11 PM
Damn, I hate threads like these. Because while these are the exact sorts of thoughts I have all the time[nb]Often in the shower[/nb], but when I see one posted, can I think of any examples? Can I fuck.

I'll give you an easy one to get you going and hopefully jog your memory:
Richard E Grant = Withnail

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2021, 06:25:41 PM
Benedict Wong -> Errol

Was just coming in to post that. 

Full Kublai Khan regalia, picks up a tin and says "cream of pork pie soup" in his Manc accent.

Greg Torso

Willem Dafoe IS Bobby Peru and I cannot accept him in any sort of 'romantic lead' type role without thinking that he's about to do a disgusting gap-toothed grimace and start playing with himself.

Small Man Big Horse

beanheadmcginty

Sebastian Cobb

Also Paul McCrane will always be "Dr Romano".

Ooh look, Dr Romano's getting melted by the acid in that film about a robot policeman.

Sebastian Cobb

Oh look Ralphie from the Sopranos is double crossing people hooked into the Matrix, what is he like?

Oh look Ralphie from the Sopranos is tricking a man with brain damage to do murders for him.

I reckon this one's actually better if you assume it's all in universe.

pigamus

Dexter Fletcher. You can look like an old man and a grizzled unshaven alcoholic, you can bellow in broader Cockney than Ray Winstone, but you're Spike from Press Gang and you'll die Spike from Press Gang.

paddy72

Quote from: pigamus on July 14, 2021, 07:44:50 PM
Dexter Fletcher. You can look like an old man and a grizzled unshaven alcoholic, you can bellow in broader Cockney than Ray Winstone, but you're Spike from Press Gang and you'll die Spike from Press Gang.

Amen.

Gulftastic

Mark Sheppard's name in the opening credits of anything make me exclaim 'Badger!' after his two appearances in short live sci-fi series 'Firefly'.

Replies From View

Sebastian Cobb

That Dexter chat reminds me Michael C. Hall will always be David Fisher off of Six Feet Under.

dr beat

Quote from: pigamus on July 14, 2021, 07:44:50 PM

I was thinking more 'him from Gamesmaster'

Deliciousbass

Lindsay Lohan if she wasn't always known as Lindsay Lohan

Spoiler alert
sincerely think she could be really great in something if it weren't for the tabloid malarkey
[close]

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 14, 2021, 07:11:26 PM
Finchy from The Office

Yes I couldn't stop thinking this when watching The VVitcb

"Now hear thee mother, twas not gone last Tuesday that I befound theself up to thine nuts in guts"

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 14, 2021, 04:56:31 PM
The same applies with Kyle MacLachlan as Agent Dale Cooper, whatever film or tv show he is my mind has decided he's still playing Cooper, but is just undercover and that's why he's not talking about Diane and trying to have sex with Heather Graham.
The multiple clones/tulpas/doppelgangers/Black Lodge versions of Cooper in Twin Peaks Series 3 allow the viewer allow complete freedom to draft any performance of Kyle into the TP universe. Most obviously, it's hardly a stretch at all to make the sleazy amoral scumbag he plays in Showgirls some kind of incarnation of Bad Coop. (In fact, I wonder a bit if Lynch's decision to set so much of TP series 3 in Las Vegas didn't have something to do with seeing Kyle wandering around there in Showgirls). I had similiar "it's another incarnation of Laura Palmer" thoughts about Sheryl Lee's cameo in Winter's Bone.

Dusty Substance

I still can't not think of Guy Pearce as Mike from Neighbours.

chveik

Quote from: Deliciousbass on July 14, 2021, 08:37:23 PM
Spoiler alert
sincerely think she could be really great in something if it weren't for the tabloid malarkey
[close]

i quite liked in A Prairie Home Companion. her career must be fucked for good now though

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 14, 2021, 07:03:17 PM
Willem Dafoe IS Bobby Peru and I cannot accept him in any sort of 'romantic lead' type role without thinking that he's about to do a disgusting gap-toothed grimace and start playing with himself.

he pretty much always plays a weirdo doesn't he?

Egyptian Feast

Die Hard from Die Hard, but only since I heard it annoys the piss out of him.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 14, 2021, 10:16:34 PM

Same, and it's a bit unfair. I was seriously impressed & pleasantly surprised by his performances in Priscilla & LA Confidential as he was so shit in Neighbours. He deserves much better than that, but he'll always be Mike to me.

mothman

paddy72

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 14, 2021, 10:16:34 PM

Same for me, too.

The Proposition is up there with my favourite films, but I still can't fully extricate Mike.

JamesTC

Add me to the Benedict Wong group. Can't see him without thinking "Come clean your hands on me coat" or "Is there a thing such as skimmed? Mmm that sounds nice."

Still love seeing him in films though. If anything, seeing him as Errol enhances proceedings.

non capisco

For years me and my sister would say about anything John Simm was in "Oh, look. Kendle's in this" due to his early role as someone called Kendle in completely forgotten sitcom 'Men Of The World'. No memory if 'Men Of The World' was even any good or not or whether Kendle was a particularly noteworthy character, but 'Life On Mars' was "that thing where Kendle goes back in time" and "I see Doctor Who is up against his arch enemy Kendle again."

Mike from Neighbours is the absolute perfect example, though, tough to beat. Kate Winslet even still calls him Mike from Neighbours.