Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021, Karen Gillan being all murderous)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 14, 2021, 06:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Karen Gillan's one of those violent types who goes around killing people like John Wick and whatever Bob Odenkirk was called in Nobody (I'm presuming it was Mr Nobody, but I could be wrong), in this very stylish, very fun movie. At 114 odd minutes it's overlong and takes a little while to get going but once it does it's enormously entertaining, the violence is inventive and nicely stylish, the rest of the cast (including Lena Headey, Paul Giamatti, Angela Bassett, Michelle Yeoh, Carla Gugino and Ralph Ineson) are all great, and this is a great slice of turn off your brain and enjoy the mayhem kind of silliness. 7.8/10

SteveDave

Where is Michael Smiley's character meant to be from? I'm sure there are Norn Iron doctors in America.

13 schoolyards

I reckon anyone looking to make a "stylish carnage" movie from here on out really has to come up with a new angle. John Wick's cornered the hyper-competent endless murder spree, the best bit of Nobody was that brutal bus fight where Odenkirk clearly wanted to get fucked up as much as he wanted to beat the other guys, and the best work in this was the wacky "I can't move my arms" fight (which was very good). Just mowing down hordes of nameless badguys in slow-mo isn't going to cut it (sorry) any more.

On the up side, I did like the way the fantasy organised crime world (which didn't seem to involve any actual crime aside from sending a hitwoman around to kill people) at least had rival crime families and freelancers doing their own thing. The universal crime franchise in John Wick is rapidly becoming the least interesting thing about those films, and the whole super-cool fantasy gangster thing is, again, wearing out its welcome.

Blinder Data

I know nothing about this except that I hate the title. It reminds me of Eddie Izzard's Englebert Humperdinck joke about how he settled on his stage name.

"Let me try out potential film titles on you for my super sexy action film: Dynamite Hamburger; Blunderbuss Sundae; Shotgun Loaded Fries; Gunpowder Milkshake; Bullet Fried Chicken..."

"Hmmm. Not sure.
What was that one milkshake one again...?"

olliebean

Is it funny? Don't think I can be arsed with this sort of thing any more if it isn't funny.

phantom_power

I read a review that said it had more in common with Jackie Chan than John Wick so that makes it sound like it will be funny

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on July 15, 2021, 03:51:45 PM
Is it funny? Don't think I can be arsed with this sort of thing any more if it isn't funny.

It is in places, and it certainly isn't grim dark or bleak like many of these violent slices of madness can be.

olliebean

A bit too much po-facedness in the trailer for it to place higher than "might get around to it if it appears on Netflix" on my watchlist.

Custard

Really enjoyed this. She needs to team up with Nobody

Felt like a bit of a Tarantino pastiche in the beginning, but by the hospital scenes we were cracking up

Good solid daft fun. And yes, Karen Gillan. What a dream

Neomod

15 minutes in and Karen whatsername can't act and has zero charisma.

At least the soundtrack composer has stolen from the right people.

Sebastian Cobb

Thought it was alright. Enjoyed it on a bit of a hungover Sunday.

Stereolab came out of nowhere.

Head Gardener

an over egged neon nightmare, gave up after half an hour though, too annoying on too many levels, 13 year old girls will probably love it though

phantom_power

Quote from: Neomod on July 17, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
15 minutes in and Karen whatsername can't act and has zero charisma.

At least the soundtrack composer has stolen from the right people.

Really? I think she is great and has charisma by the bucketload. Even playing a sort of emotionally deadened person she is fun to watch.

I thought it was good fun but nothing special. Nice to hear a bit of Stereolab in a mainstream action film

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I don't reckon she's a bad actress, and Lena Heady certainly isn't but It suffers from the same thing a lot of Netflix films suffer from where they look great and technically well made but the writing and characters are a bit lacking.

Neomod

Quote from: phantom_power on July 18, 2021, 08:23:51 PM

Really? I think she is great and has charisma by the bucketload. Even playing a sort of emotionally deadened person she is fun to watch.

I thought it was good fun but nothing special. Nice to hear a bit of Stereolab in a mainstream action film

Yeah, I don't like it when a film I think is bobbins[nb]I stuck with it to the end[/nb] suddenly has one of my favourite bands on the soundtrack.

Unfortunately I just don't rate our Karen. I have only seen her in two films, this and that Guardians one and she wasn't good in that either. Not watched Dr Who so these performances are my only gauge.

Still, everyone must have at least one good performance in them and I look forward to hearing about hers. Has she appeared in anything apart from comic con films?

Saying all that, I didn't rate 'do you want ham with that ham Moriarty' Andrew Scott and he was pretty good in Pride.

Actually she was alright as herself on Comedy Bang Bang.

phantom_power

She shows off her comedy chops well in Jumanji and the TV series Selfie

Butchers Blind

phantom_power

Not for a while in the UK. I think it is getting a cinema release in September, and maybe on Netflix then as well

Head Gardener