Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

mediocre music you love? (not total crap or guilty pleasure)

Started by willbo, July 14, 2021, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Neomod on July 15, 2021, 12:46:06 PM
I'm always partial to a bit of the jangly stuff and these bands aren't/weren't gonna set the world alight but bring me pleasure. So could the following please stand up..

Real Estate
East Village
American Football

East Village are great, Real Estate less so but two of their mid-period albums are lovely. Not heard American Football. Do you have a link?

PeterCornelius

Travis - The Man Who
I feel a bit cruel to call it 'mediocre' because it's got some lovely songs on it. It's not groundbreaking or edgy, just ... 'comforting'.

flotemysost

Quote from: icehaven on July 18, 2021, 09:41:07 AM
Good to see Chris Morris is keeping busy naming bands.

Hahaha.

Isn't this an incredibly subjective thing? To use the example of Crowded House, I think they've got some gorgeously bittersweet melodies and harmonies and I find some of their stuff very moving BUT can completely see how someone might just see them as inoffensive sunny jangle.

Is this about "stuff you love which is widely culturally perceived to be MOR/vanilla"? I once made a mix CD of indie pop type stuff for someone I was seeing, which featured a track by Aztec Camera, and he texted me later like "LOL Aztec Camera, didn't know you had such a cheesy taste in music". DUMPED MOTHERFUCKER

Not really

buttgammon

Are Wild Beasts mediocre? I feel like they're quite middling, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

holyzombiejesus

All this 'total crap', 'guilty pleasure' and 'mediocre' stuff is just bollocks, isn't it? Really juvenile stuff.

Neomod

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 18, 2021, 09:48:38 AM
East Village are great, Real Estate less so but two of their mid-period albums are lovely. Not heard American Football. Do you have a link?

Note how I didn't include Birdy. Love that little Debsy and Paul project.

With an apt Smiths-esque title here's American Football and Home is Where the Haunt Is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCSwyDOETI