Author Topic: mediocre music you love? (not total crap or guilty pleasure)  (Read 1542 times)

Re: mediocre music you love? (not total crap or guilty pleasure)
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2021, 09:48:38 AM »
I'm always partial to a bit of the jangly stuff and these bands aren't/weren't gonna set the world alight but bring me pleasure. So could the following please stand up..

Real Estate
East Village
American Football

East Village are great, Real Estate less so but two of their mid-period albums are lovely. Not heard American Football. Do you have a link?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 11:05:07 AM by holyzombiejesus »

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »
Travis - The Man Who
I feel a bit cruel to call it 'mediocre' because it's got some lovely songs on it. It's not groundbreaking or edgy, just ... 'comforting'.

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2021, 11:10:34 AM »
Good to see Chris Morris is keeping busy naming bands.

Hahaha.

Isn't this an incredibly subjective thing? To use the example of Crowded House, I think they've got some gorgeously bittersweet melodies and harmonies and I find some of their stuff very moving BUT can completely see how someone might just see them as inoffensive sunny jangle.

Is this about "stuff you love which is widely culturally perceived to be MOR/vanilla"? I once made a mix CD of indie pop type stuff for someone I was seeing, which featured a track by Aztec Camera, and he texted me later like "LOL Aztec Camera, didn't know you had such a cheesy taste in music". DUMPED MOTHERFUCKER

Not really

buttgammon

• Silver Member
  • No chicken or poultry in the flat
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »
Are Wild Beasts mediocre? I feel like they're quite middling, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 11:43:54 AM »
All this 'total crap', 'guilty pleasure' and 'mediocre' stuff is just bollocks, isn't it? Really juvenile stuff.

Neomod

• What's it Called . . . Cumbernauld!
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2021, 09:35:01 PM »
East Village are great, Real Estate less so but two of their mid-period albums are lovely. Not heard American Football. Do you have a link?

Note how I didn't include Birdy. Love that little Debsy and Paul project.

With an apt Smiths-esque title here's American Football and Home is Where the Haunt Is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCSwyDOETI

Tags: