Author Topic: Melody Maker's 50 Ways The Alternative Nation is Fighting Back  (Read 2252 times)

earl_sleek

• National Program Director of the CHUM Group
Re: Melody Maker's 50 Ways The Alternative Nation is Fighting Back
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »
ETA: and King Adora's singer is a fucking rapist.

TBF I don't think that was known at the time, although the fact that their music is audio manure was to many.

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2021, 01:08:04 PM »
I liked JJ72's first album. I lost interest in the list after that though.
I fucking loved JJ72 at the time. Still do. The second album "I To Sky" was even better and they should have been bigger, more than Coldplay or fucking Muse.

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2021, 01:16:38 PM »
Wild time capsule, that list. That period where the internet hadn't been fully established but print media was already firmly dying on its arse has become a bit lost to time in the same way as loads of people have rolls of film they never bothered getting developed after buying a digital camera.

Liked JJ72 when I was 12 and have no clue why now, can't see anything to like in them but they were quite big for a patch weren't they? I see their bassist is playing Cafe Oto and her blurb (understandably) makes zero mention of JJ72.
Saw Greaney's second band at a music festival years later and they were unbelievably bad, think they didn't release anything in the end.

Fucking. Hell.
I Can Only Disappoint U was pretty good

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2021, 02:19:21 PM »
It was during this period that every week Melody Maker would find an excuse to print a picture of Marilyn Manson bearing his horrible hairy arsehole to a crowd. It was supposed to be funny, but even as a 13 year old boy it felt horribly lame. It seemed to be going after the nu-metal readers and leaning on Kerrang's audience at this point. No idea why I bought it because I always absolutely despised that genre and the kids at school who listened to it.

Sigh. I could have been spending that pocket money on ecstasy and Mixmag instead! Which, to be fair, by the time I was 15 I was doing.

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »
The only issue of Melody Maker I ever bought came with this CD

Which did actually cause me to get into Astrid and The Crocketts. Someone called cultureslut in a chatroom for grooming young teens had already told me I'd like JJ72. Didn't pay attention to Sigur Ros until they supported Radiohead. Already liked Blink, of course.

One of the songs I recall began "going down to talk to the cows" and I still remember that Freakazoid chorus. The magazine was shite though and so was the NME I bought a week later. Put me right off becoming a music journalist, that fortnight.

PlanktonSideburns

• encoded by an oaf
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »
The TOPLOADER thing has to be taking the piss. Did they not listen to the awful soft music they made?

ahhh it's because they have a drugs name. Must be cool guys then

Always assumed it was a washing machine reference

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2021, 04:12:03 PM »

Liked JJ72 when I was 12 and have no clue why now, can't see anything to like in them but they were quite big for a patch weren't they? I see their bassist is playing Cafe Oto and her blurb (understandably) makes zero mention of JJ72.
Saw Greaney's second band at a music festival years later and they were unbelievably bad, think they didn't release anything in the end.

Concerto for Constantine? They had one 5-track EP, and nothing else. He's a music teacher now, last I heard.

I think the long gap between leaving JJ72 and eventually doing solo stuff helped Hilary Woods. She has talked about JJ72 in a couple of interviews and it seems like she knew she was only ever going to be playing other people's songs.

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2021, 04:14:00 PM »
I used to get MM weekly from about 1997 to 99, my sixth form years. Not longer after I started uni, they changed the format to some horrid glossy nonsense and I lasted about two issues - I don't remember it being around much longer so this list of hell must have been while in the death throes.

Even as a naive lad from the sticks, I recognised Toploader were the kind of crap your dad (or middle aged music weekly hacks) might like because they "have proper tunes" but presumably there must have been some hype around them before their cover-fuelled ascent began. I remember it as a terrible time to be seriously getting into music, as there was fuck all exciting new stuff around and I wound up working my way backwards in time to find stuff I liked.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »
The episode of Chart Music in which former Maker scribes Neil Kulkarni and Sarah Bee tear into that utterly clueless oaf Mark Sutherland is well worth listening to. But I can't actually remember which episode that is. So this isn't a very helpful post, is it?

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2021, 04:49:03 PM »
One of the songs I recall began "going down to talk to the cows"

That was Ooberman's Tears From A Willow. I used to quite like them, lyrically they could be a bit twee and earnest but musically I thought they were a lot of fun.

I used to like JJ72 as well and occasionally play Snow to this day, but only because I presume they were taking the piss with lines like "Why won't it snow, like they said it would, what is it that they know, that i really should".

I'd vaguely claim that Melody Maker was pretty decent from 94 - 97, though lost its way after that, and when it became a Smash Hits style magazine towards the end it was an embarrassing read.

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »
Weird time. I still got the NME every week, mainly because I had it on order from the newsagent and couldn't be bothered to cancel, but I was no longer interested in 90% of it. Mixture of me getting older and it getting more infantile. Think it was still better than Melody Maker though.

I was signing on and CDs cost up to £15 so most of my music was second hand cassettes and Peel sessions I'd taped. CDs from the library.

I was massively into B&S then but I don't remember the Talent Auction thing at all.

Don't remember The Barfly Sessions either and watching Channel 4 in the early hours was pretty much my main pass time then so I must have seen it.

But yes this list takes me back in a queasy sort of way. Thanks, I think.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »
Always assumed it was a washing machine reference
I assumed it was a VCR thing.

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »
The journos clearly said it's a drugs thing, so step back, squares

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »
A one-hit wonder, who's one hit was a cover.

Future of music right there.

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2021, 06:29:26 PM »
6. PRIMAL SCREAM'S CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE- Revolution, revolution! Bobby G making politics sexy.

Bobby Gillespie had his wedding publicised in Cheshire Life.
It was during this period that every week Melody Maker would find an excuse to print a picture of Marilyn Manson bearing his horrible hairy arsehole to a crowd. It was supposed to be funny, but even as a 13 year old boy it felt horribly lame. It seemed to be going after the nu-metal readers and leaning on Kerrang's audience at this point. No idea why I bought it because I always absolutely despised that genre and the kids at school who listened to it.

Sigh. I could have been spending that pocket money on ecstasy and Mixmag instead! Which, to be fair, by the time I was 15 I was doing.
I remember that and it was a running gag in the letters page. It was also done to death. And jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon was a mistake. I liked Kittie but the coverage of them was embarrassing. Either wanking over the bassist or drivelling on about how Kittie embodied the Four Commands of Manicdom: Culture, Alienation, Boredom and Despair.

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2021, 10:25:33 PM »
I fucking loved JJ72 at the time. Still do. The second album "I To Sky" was even better and they should have been bigger, more than Coldplay or fucking Muse.

I had that second album. Actually bought it if I remember correctly. Can't remember anything about the contents though but may dig it out on your recommendation.

sardines

• give a man a horse
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2021, 07:34:30 AM »

Hilary Woods 'solo stuff is really good.' Colt 'could have been on that best records of the last 5 years thread.

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2021, 08:51:23 AM »

Genuinely thought this was the origin of the name.  How cool am I?

Jockice

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2021, 10:21:28 AM »
Genuinely thought this was the origin of the name.  How cool am I?

Yeah, the Sony JJ72 was quite popular for a while.

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
5. THE WEIRDNESS OF 'KID A'- Blowing minds up and down the nation. Excellent.

Still gave it only 2 stars though. Fucking Beaumont.

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2021, 10:59:06 AM »
Hilary Woods 'solo stuff is really good.' Colt 'could have been on that best records of the last 5 years thread.
Girl should have been the lead singer of JJ72. I listened to some of her stuff and she has a lovely voice, not like Mark Greaney and his horrible whining.

I thought Kid A got one star? It definitely got a really bad review though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • My meatus is beyond compare
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
23. TOPLOADER ON THE ROAD- Joe and the lads taking rock’n’roll chaos to the streets.

non capisco

• My valve is screaming for appeasement.
    • https://twitter.com/IsThisRoss
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
"I just heard Joe and the lads are going to be taking rock 'n' roll chaos to the streets!"

"Well...we're just going to have to get in the Anderson shelter and hope for the best."

"But what if they play 'Dancing In The Moonlight', mummy?"

*kisses child's forehead* "Perhaps they'll show us mercy, sweetheart."

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2021, 11:37:54 AM »

I thought Kid A got one star? It definitely got a really bad review though.

“It is the sound of Thom Yorke ramming his head firmly up his own arse, hearing the rumblings of his intestinal wind and deciding to share it with the world.”

★⯨

1 and a half, Apparently.

Jockice

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2021, 11:39:01 AM »
I saw Toploader live not long before 'the hit.' I can safely say I didn't see any rock'n'roll chaos either before, during or afterwards. I saw a bunch of blokes mooching aimlessly around the bar. All I can really remember is thinking: "God, this band looks really old*.'' I was in my mid 30s at the time myself.

*Although not quite as old as The Twang, who were trying to pass themselves off as being in their mid-20s when it was obvious that most of them were at least a decade older. If you're going to lie about your age, at least try to make it believable. I rather liked The Twang's first album though, which is more than I can say for Toploader.

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
I saw Toploader in 1998, supporting Paul Weller.

I only tolerated them because Noel Gallagher was on after, as he was the other support, in what was a badly-kept secret by that point on Weller's tour.

Amusingly, Weller's guitarist that night was Matt Deighton, who would replace Noel at one point on Oasis' 2000 tour when Liam decided to be dick, as he often is.

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »
“It is the sound of Thom Yorke ramming his head firmly up his own arse, hearing the rumblings of his intestinal wind and deciding to share it with the world.”

★⯨

1 and a half, Apparently.

I had just started my first job just before Kid A came out.  I was young and interested in music so one of the bosses kept banging on to me, every time I saw him about how much he loved Radiohead and how they were going to be the next U2, and how excited he was about the new album Kid A that was coming out and how brilliant it was going to be. Every time I saw him he would bang on about it, the cunt. Then Kid A was released, I hadn’t seen him for a bit. He came up to bottom lip a quiver, choked up on emotion, got a bit wet eyed and literally said ‘why did they do this? I can’t hear the words and it keeps going beep. Why have they done this to us?’ I guess he was on the edge of a nervous breakdown anyway, but he did disappeared from work not long after that. I’d love to know what thought of Amnesiac.

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2021, 05:32:01 PM »
I'll give them Kelis though. I always liked her a lot. And I should add Blur, just to demonstrate I'm not that cool.

Tags: