Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:30:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Asking fromsoft to make a Dark Souls with an easy setting is like

Started by Fry, July 15, 2021, 07:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

asking James Joyce to rewrite ulysses but this time give it a once over with Grammarly.

Or is it not? Who could possibly say.

Fry

Was too skint to pick up Dark Souls 2 so I got Nioh instead (superb game). Earlier had to fight a boss and it took me multiple hours and hundreds of deaths but when I finally did it I did it without taking a single hit and nothing can match that feeling.

Zetetic

The dreaded discourse is dominated by gatekeeping pillocks who are too focused on challenge per se as a feature of gaming.

Yeah, difficulty and challenge can be an important part of a game and what it means. Many such games, however, have other aspects to them beyond that and it's a shame to lock people out from that (particularly if they've paid £60 or whatever mass-market games go for these days).

A beauty of computer games is their customisability and the nature of that customisability and how it feeds into the construction of an experience between developers and players.

Settings, mods, cheat codes, local cheats/hacks are options. You should be able to make your peace with these options being available and choosing not to use them.

Yeah, there's a distinction between a built-in toggle in Options and something you download from a site that's 80% ways of turning every character in naked parodies of women, or somewhere in between like the developer's personal blog.

bgmnts

I think it's telling a lot of people are anti-easy mode in Dark Souls. It makes them seem they are very proud of being able to play a video game, like it's a source of self esteem, and it's just silly.

The Crumb

But there is an easy mode in Dark Souls...it is called the Pyromancy!

DocDaneeka

Interesting as I hear Elden Ring has a mode where you can summon Luigi and he'll beat the boss for you.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Fry on July 15, 2021, 07:51:55 AM
asking James Joyce to rewrite ulysses but this time give it a once over with Grammarly.

Or is it not? Who could possibly say.
I can say and I say it's not.

Chedney Honks

There already is an easy mode in Dark Souls ass holes.

Rolling.

madhair60

it's not gatekeeping anything, anyone can play the fucking game, stop with this gatekeeping horse shit

madhair60

now say that not having an easy mode is ablist. say it mother fucker.

chveik

Zetetic

Quote from: madhair60 on July 15, 2021, 07:19:56 PM
it's not gatekeeping anything, anyone can play the fucking game,
The people who get wound up about a decent range of difficulty options are, overwhelmingly, people who want to dictate what counts as a computer game (or a good computer game or worthwhile computer game or a game worth spending time or words or on and so on) and what sort of people should be playing them.

Yes, there's also a small band of fellow travellers who better at using words and also happy to enable them, for various reasons.

Thursday

Dark Souls is good because it's hard. Everyone just pretends it has good story/lore/atmosphere to try and sound smart and justify their hobby as being something higher than just battering undead around with swords.

"I want to see the world and lore of Dark Souls without spending hours battering my head against the wall in frustration!"

Don't fucking play it then, that's the whole point. Just watch the lore videos. You won't know what the fuck's going on without them anyway.

Also Dark Souls does have an easy mode it's called gitting gud.

Jerzy Bondov

All games should be so easy you can do them in about half an hour while looking at shit on your phone. Then you can tick them off and move on to the next game so much more quickly. I'm never going to play every game otherwise, and I don't see why anyone in the world should have played a game that I haven't.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Thursday on July 15, 2021, 08:19:43 PM
Dark Souls is good because it's hard. Everyone just pretends it has good story/lore/atmosphere to try and sound smart and justify their hobby as being something higher than just battering undead around with swords.

"I want to see the world and lore of Dark Souls without spending hours battering my head against the wall in frustration!"

Don't fucking play it then, that's the whole point. Just watch the lore videos. You won't know what the fuck's going on without them anyway.

Also Dark Souls does have an easy mode it's called gitting gud.
This is a parody of how asshole gamers sound, right? I'm sorry, it's difficult to tell.

Kelvin

Time to post James Stephanie Sterling dressed as a French Aristocrat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QidBCKYVCMA

Thursday

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 15, 2021, 08:37:38 PM
This is a parody of how asshole gamers sound, right? I'm sorry, it's difficult to tell.

Apart from the gitting gud part I do think it's a little bit true - But I'm expressing myself obnoxiously as a joke.

I think the main draw of Dark Souls is it's challenging combat, reaching those parts where you feel like you're stuck and will never be able to do it, but persevering and overcoming it. And also that people overstate the lore a bit, like it's very good, but come on guys calm down a bit. It's not really why most people enjoy playing it moment to moment.

If Fromsoft decided to add an easy mode, I have no objections, but ultimately it's up to them to decide whether they want to put one in or not.

It also seems disingenuous to keep on at Fromsoft specifically for it. There's a ton of games that don't have difficulty options and difficulty is a subjective thing.

Cuellar

They should put an easy mode in then all the big brave boys can not use it and feel all good like they've achieved something

Zetetic

Quote from: Thursday on July 15, 2021, 08:56:56 PM
If Fromsoft decided to add an easy mode, I have no objections,
Cool, cool.

Quotebut ultimately it's up to them to decide whether they want to put one in or not.
I don't think that's how software really works.

Chedney Honks

Dark Souls already has an easy mode ass holes, it's called Baller Swag Sword.

Jerzy Bondov

Thursday

The Crumb

Dark Souls is the easy mode version of playing fighting games.

Video Game Fan 2000

James Joyce already has an easy mode, its called Derrida.
Ireland already has a Dark Souls, its called England.

madhair60

Quote from: Zetetic on July 15, 2021, 07:37:51 PM
The people who get wound up about a decent range of difficulty options are, overwhelmingly,

fabricated by piss-takers to win an argument that only exists in their own head, hence why they have evoke the real suffering and hardship of disabled people in order to "win" it by adopting a position so fucking stupid that nobody can realistically challenge them without dignifying it.

nobody - not one single living human being - has ever, ever had a problem with a game having an easy mode, ever. the issue is with idiots saying that adding it wouldn't change/affect a game, and that beating it in such a way would be exactly the same experience as the normal difficulty. a stupid-born, smashed-headed baby could see this isn't true, and worse still it doesn't even matter so basically it's just shitheads inventing ways to feel superior about nothing for no reason. difficulty discourse is cancer.

Video Game Fan 2000

With game development as shite as it can be at the moment, I think there is genuinely a concern that putting in a whole bunch of difficulty options and settings means that there is less reason for there to be one main, curated and balanced difficulty that the game is best played at. For Darks Souls, this is going rock fucking hard for Mario Odyssey its going to be cakewalk.

I'm very pro varying difficulty modes - I like to drop difficulties for annoying levels and bosses because I don't have time to waste, and if I do love a game I'll want to play it again on the hardest Ooohh Big Maaan Look At Yoou mode available. But I do worry if something as crafted for grief as Dark Souls could get diluted by the pressure to sell more copies and keep people hooked on repetitive, addictive button mashing online grinds its a very bad sign for any "hardcore" or cult hit that gets big enough.

madhair60

this is it, this is the thing I get the maddest online about

Video Game Fan 2000

What's funniest about this is "hardcore" gamers making difficulty modes as the noble last stand of their people, when back in the 90s the most hardcore games were a fucking parade of sliders and options and editors and tweaks and ever FPS launched with lists of varying modes.

It was little babies with their consoles that didn't have them.