Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Asking fromsoft to make a Dark Souls with an easy setting is like

Started by Fry, July 15, 2021, 07:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: madhair60 on July 15, 2021, 11:16:01 PM
fabricated by piss-takers to win an argument that only exists in their own head ...

I'm guessing the joke is that all the rest of this post is a fantasy where you invent some positions to take against?

We might have been able to have had a slightly interesting discussion, but, no it's the games forum so:
Quoteit's just shitheads inventing ways to feel superior about nothing for no reason. difficulty discourse is cancer.

It's not as though I don't acknowledge the relevance of difficulty to experience in the second line of my first post.

Zetetic

Quote from: Thursday on July 15, 2021, 10:45:13 PM
eh?
The nature of games, being software, means that it's pretty much never ultimately going to be up the original developers how their games are played. Once your stuff is on someone else's computer, they're going to have the power to fiddle with it.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Zetetic on July 16, 2021, 07:43:18 AM
We might have been able to have had a slightly interesting discussion, but, no it's the games forum so:

It's just an exhausted discussion which different groups of bell-ends now use for their own ends.

There's a very small group of people who genuinely oppose accessibility because they're the dregs and there's another small group who use this topic and the minority of wankers to take down various strawmen and dunk on 'Souls games' or Returnal or whatever.

All these people are morons.

That's the discussion done.

Zetetic

Zetetic

Edit: I think I need to learn to change my behaviour.

Zetetic

Chedney Honks

Edit: Sorry that my tone has contributed to squashing your interest in the discussion. That's my actual opinion, though, not a joke.

Zetetic

It's on me, not you, ultimately. There's nothing to apologize for

druss

There should be an easy mode but if you use it then your character has to wear a nappy.

Lemming

Agreed that in-built cheats are probably the best option. You should always do whatever you want to make games more fun for yourself, and if cheating your way past a bullshit part or boosting your skills in the early game to have an overall easier experience is how you like to play, then have at it. I always play FTL with my own pre-made cheat ship that has bollock-breaker laser cannons on right from the start.

Part of the appeal in a lot of games like Dark Souls, though, is relating to other people's experiences of meeting the same challenges as you, and how you each found ways to overcome them. There's something really appealing IMO about all players facing the same level of challenge together. If you cheat your way through, or if there were a hypothetical easy mode, you deprive yourself of a big part of the social aspect of playing games, and the sense of accomplishment that comes with beating a challenge that your imbecile idiot friends are still stuck on.

I speak from experience - I used to do the Tomb Raider level skip all the time as a kid, and was rightly mocked and derided by my older cousin for never even seeing the big bird bastard at the end of Tibet in TR2, let alone defeating it.

Perplexicon

Any of the From Software games would actually be made better if you could set an option that gave you an instant full-life revival on death and then maybe 10 seconds of invincibility. Just a lil' extra help to get over those difficulty spikes.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Perplexicon on July 19, 2021, 09:50:19 PM
Any of the From Software games would actually be made better if you could set an option that gave you an instant full-life revival on death

Sekiro has this

The Crumb

Not full health, but there's a miracle in at least 2 of the games that lets you have a do-over when something kills you.