Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Skyward Sword HD

Started by Chedney Honks, July 15, 2021, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Got this a couple of days ago. Really struggling with not having a permanent camera r-stick to enjoy my surroundings as I run around. BOTW has really spoiled me! You can get camera controls by permanently holding down L1 but that doesn't feel at all comfortable to me. I understand it - they need the r-stick for sword control - but it frustrates nonetheless.

I can't remember, but presumably the Wii original had no camera controls at all? No, that can't be right, can it?

Chedney Honks

No right stick at all on the Wii so no camera controls. Please be thankful for what you got.

petercussing

You get used to it. At first i found it off putting and kept clawing at the screen in rage trying to beat up zedla, the main character, for making a dumb game, but now it's such second nature i can't turn around in real life unless someone depresses my shoulder.

It's strange with this game, i thought it was well received and popular, but everyone i shout at from my living room window about zelda doesn't seem to know much about it. More than anything they speed up walking and just move on. I thought it was selling quite well. I guess i'll stick to this chat here, i guess.

Still loving this, is my input at this point here.

Magnum Valentino

It looks very much like, without trying, I'm going to finish this at around about 38 hours. I always finish Zelda games in the 37-39 range, again without consciously trying

Does this mean, what does this mean, does it mean something? Am I playing them 'right', or is just coincidence? That's so specific, not quite 40, way north of 30.

Kelvin

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 29, 2021, 06:43:39 PM
It looks very much like, without trying, I'm going to finish this at around about 38 hours. I always finish Zelda games in the 37-39 range, again without consciously trying

Does this mean, what does this mean, does it mean something? Am I playing them 'right', or is just coincidence? That's so specific, not quite 40, way north of 30.

That seems quite quick, I've played the game loads of times, am about halfway through, and reckon I must be about 25 hours in? I do a side quest run between every level, though, so that's probably adding a a bit to it.

petercussing

Speedy completer!

I'm at the boss temple bit of the sandy time travel level, i hope there's tons more. I've not done a ton of side quests though.

Man, this is so good, i can totes see why it's Madhair's fav and why, that being the case, he doesn't like BOTW as much and hates swords being broken like junk. It must have been great on the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

I'm loving just getting lost in the adventure. It's a beautiful thing.

Weirdly, cos i only played Okami for the first time last year, i keep getting confused in my brains about the lore with that for no real reason. I am a zelda expert. Don't question me, i've played some or all of 5 of them and completed 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magnum Valentino

Just finished, just shy of 38. Maybe I am a speedy completer. Towards the end my interest in side quests vanishes and I get antsy to just finish things and move on.

Glad I finally finished this, I've really enjoyed it. Wind Waker's still my favourite but this is (a distant) second, I reckon

Shaky

I was unsure whether to get this, as I enjoyed the original right up to the boss rush near the end where I promptly gave up and never revisited it. Think I'll have another punt.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shaky on July 30, 2021, 04:11:23 AM
I was unsure whether to get this, as I enjoyed the original right up to the boss rush near the end where I promptly gave up and never revisited it. Think I'll have another punt.

A Boss Rush? As in killing all the previous bosses again? You don't have to do that for the main game, it's just a side quest you can do late game to get a secret item. It's not even on the main path.

Magnum Valentino

The secret item would be very, very helpful by games end though. I could have done with it, is all I'm saying.

Having a few hours to just think back on this the stealth section near the end and the mental and very un-Zelda assault of waves and waves of goblins near the last boss were brilliant sections I'll probably remember forever.

Great game. Sold it already too so it only cost me 6 quid to play!

Shaky

Quote from: Kelvin on July 30, 2021, 09:02:57 AM
A Boss Rush? As in killing all the previous bosses again? You don't have to do that for the main game, it's just a side quest you can do late game to get a secret item. It's not even on the main path.

Really? Shit. It's been 10 years since I played it. It would be a strange thing for the main game to make you do, now I think about it.

Magnum Valentino

Although Wind Waker does. You've to fight all the bosses again as part of the last dungeon, but by this stage you're better equipped and it takes much less time.

Beagle 2

Zelda has never been my thing but my son was asking what it was all about recently, so I showed him the only game I have on my system - A Link to the Past. Ended up really getting into it after all these years, so I thought I should get a modern one. What's the best one to play with a four-year-old? I am thinking probably Links Awakening, but I dunno.

brat-sampson

Link's Awakening will be the closest to LttP as it's another classic-style top down Zelda. For modern, either Skyward Sword or Breath of the Wild, both solid, but SS has a lot more structure, while BotW is almost completely open.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 04, 2021, 09:24:07 AM
Zelda has never been my thing but my son was asking what it was all about recently, so I showed him the only game I have on my system - A Link to the Past. Ended up really getting into it after all these years, so I thought I should get a modern one. What's the best one to play with a four-year-old? I am thinking probably Links Awakening, but I dunno.

Link's Awakening remake, deffo. It's basically a direct sequel to LttP, plays very similarly, even features many of the same characters.

That said, Breath of the Wild has been insanely popular with every child I've introduced it to, as its such a playground. Hard to go wrong with either of those two.

Links Awakening is nice and short too, so it'll be more likely to hold a 4 year old's attention span than any of the others.

Kelvin

Bit late, but I finally finished my normal mode 100% playthrough today (I was away for a week, which delayed things a bit).

Not much to add, other than:

a) People that harp on about the underwater musical note section and the three separate Imprisoned fights are a bunch of babies wearing nappies. Across the whole game they probably add up to less than twenty minutes in total. And I actually quite like the note section!

b) Were the Silent Realm sections changed for the HD release? Maybe it's just that I'd played them before, but they seemed a fair bit easier than I remembered. Specifically the fact they give you a full minute and a half for each tear you pick up.

c) The game's biggest issue is still the stuff that happens between each distinct "third" of the game. So the bit after the third dungeon where you have to find the windmills, then repair the robot, then find the propeller, then fly to the Isle of Songs, etc. It really feels like busy work before they stick you back into the main adventure. Then there's another section after the sixth dungeon, where you have to cure Levias - although that's shorter and more fun. Overall, though, there was less backtracking and less filler than I remembered. 

Anyway, I still think it's a very well designed game, with a distinct feel, and it undoubtedly looks much better on Switch. Shame Fi is still the most boring character ever created.

weaseldust

i'm probably going to end up buying this since i never completed it on the wii but i think the main thing putting me off is the thought of redoing the tear collection bits...i didn't enjoy that

i agree with all those saying that the soundtrack is great! all the lanayru desert/mining facility music is so good. this would probably be my favourite song if i had to choose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weT8_6nqaCE
lanayru sand sea

Magnum Valentino

Aw I miss this. Played it for the whole of the heatwave with my wee babby watching, happy as anything, while every other cunt around us blasted country music from their Alexas and melted into puddles.

Tried playing AC Odyssey since but far too massive. I'd love another linear-style open-world-ISH game now. Miss the days when games were more streamlined. Thinking about it recently, I think the PS3 was the last era were the design of games really appealed to me. The PS4 sequels to PS3 era games I liked were superior in graphics only.

Might give Wind Waker another spin on my dusty Wii U.

petercussing

I completed this, too, last night. The main character Zelda beat up a dude with a sword with his sword
Spoiler alert
and lightning
[close]
and everyone said how tough and good i am and how i saved Zelda, which like duh, guy, i'm standing right there.

It was jamming all round, what a great game
Spoiler alert
and Groose was nice friends in the end
[close]

As i said earlier i can see why Madhairs likes it most, it's a really great game, but i still like BOTW more still.

Anyway, Beadle is the most rad character in games. FI was fine, the most boring game guy ever is Masterchef (FR), erryone know that.

AzureSky

Nearly there myself, unlocked the last battle, but I want to 100% it and am missing 3 heart pieces. I think some Goddess cubes also. Otherwise I have all the crystals and upgrades. Do people count the 'boss rush' level 12 as proper completion, or just get the item (which I also still have to do)?

Enjoyed it as much as on the Wii, but the controls when detached were still a pain for me occasionally. When I couldn't do something I'd attach the controls, do it straight away and then detach them again. But then gave up eventually and carried on that way.

Shields/potions - never used them at all throughout the whole game. Maybe the shield once with the flying eye... seems like they aren't really needed?

Kelvin

Quote from: Dineen on August 21, 2021, 08:31:28 AM
Nearly there myself, unlocked the last battle, but I want to 100% it and am missing 3 heart pieces. I think some Goddess cubes also. Otherwise I have all the crystals and upgrades. Do people count the 'boss rush' level 12 as proper completion, or just get the item (which I also still have to do)?

You technically have to do (part of) the boss rush twice, as you get rewards based on when you quit, and there's one heart piece and one "secret item"
Spoiler alert
the shield
[close]
to win.

QuoteShields/potions - never used them at all throughout the whole game. Maybe the shield once with the flying eye... seems like they aren't really needed?

I never used them in my original wii playthrough, but I made greater use of the shields this time, as I realised that many of the fight are designed for you to use the shield, create openings and then attack, rather than always waiting for the more obvious openings to appear.

As for potions, I used the heart potion a couple of times, but otherwise no, never used them. The game has a new game plus mode, though, where you have less stamina and air, and no hearts appear, so that's clearly designed to make greater use of the potions.

AzureSky

That's me 100% done also, bar the 12 boss rounds (did up to 8). Can't believe 2 of the missing 3 hearts were in Faron Woods...

I used an invincibility potion for Demise. I don't think I can play it again in Hero Mode though, has anyone done this?

Kelvin

Quote from: Dineen on August 21, 2021, 04:20:43 PM
I used an invincibility potion for Demise. I don't think I can play it again in Hero Mode though, has anyone done this?

I did it on the wii version, but I'm going to save it for a while now, as I have other games I want to get to before Metroid comes out in October. TBH, a lot of the early game in NG+ is quite easy, as the bugs and treasures carry over, so you can upgrade the items very early on. The only thing I remember being really hard is Demise, actually.

Magnum Valentino

How do you find out what your percentage is?

Kelvin

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 21, 2021, 06:03:10 PM
How do you find out what your percentage is?

I'm not sure you can, personally I just meant I got all the heart pieces, upgrades, and gratitude crystals.

AzureSky

Same here. I'm not sure I got all of the cubes either, I think I did, but would have been nice know definitively.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dineen on August 21, 2021, 08:00:14 PM
Same here. I'm not sure I got all of the cubes either, I think I did, but would have been nice know definitively.

If you go to each region and dowse for cubes, it should let you know whether you have any left.