Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:18:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tempted by TV TAT

Started by Neomod, July 15, 2021, 02:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2021, 09:51:50 PM
Lego really isn't made for kids any more is it?.

Of course it is. You just don't hear about the kids sets because they don't generate the same sort of headlines.

mothman

OK, technically a film, but... when I went to the 2016 Star Wars Celebration Event at the Exxel, I decided I needed a memento. I wouldn't normally go in for display figures, but this was too good to resist...

... he said, then getting this from his kids for his 50th birthday...

Dex Sawash

During 2001 Volvo Ocean Race, bought the Team News Corp static display model from ebay for $10. Didn't know who News Corp was at the time but it had that determined looking Bart in foulies on the side and I was obsessed with Simpsons and still am obsessed with sail racing.

Famous Mortimer

Had an enormous amount of MST3K tat, including their old fan club newsletters and a chunk of the original set (Jim Mallon chopped it up and put it on eBay when the show was cancelled), but sold it all when I moved.

The only interesting Hitch-Hiker's Guide thing I have is an old Mac version of the game, that came with peril sensitive sunglasses, a microscopic space fleet and a few other bits and bobs. I would love the "I Got The Babel Fish" shirt, apparently given to people by Infocom who cracked the Babel fish puzzle, but I was years late and the reprints you can find now aren't quite right.

mippy

I have a Joan Holloway Funko Pop, even with the knowledge that those are SFC, because I still regret not buying one of the expensive Joan Barbies back in the day.

Neomod

Quote from: mippy on July 18, 2021, 08:59:26 AM
I have a Joan Holloway Funko Pop, even with the knowledge that those are SFC, because I still regret not buying one of the expensive Joan Barbies back in the day.

Had to google this as I thought it was a gag. Nope.

No Lane Pryce with noose accessory I see.

Attila

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 17, 2021, 03:54:53 PM
Had an enormous amount of MST3K tat, including their old fan club newsletters and a chunk of the original set (Jim Mallon chopped it up and put it on eBay when the show was cancelled), but sold it all when I moved.

I was int he Info club back in the day, too, but I still have my old fan club newsletters (most of them, anyway), and two copies of the book (one I bought for $10 when it came out, and the other for an extortionate sum to give as a present to Mr Attila about 15 years later). I have also a small collection of books about MST3K and by the various people who worked on the show - a collection of academic essays about the show, one of Mike Nelson's books about movies, Kevin Murphy's Year at the Movies; that sort of thing.

Wasn't it Beez McKeever who was flogging off stuff from the show, on eBay? I recall seeing the listings and her blog explaining why she was doing it (getting married and moving to Ireland, as I recall), and that people on the show were cross with her when they found out. That might have just been rando props she had access to.

buttgammon

Quote from: Neomod on July 18, 2021, 09:11:56 AM

They're weird. Roger looks way too young and Don has a bit of a Pete Campbell vibe (pre-baldìng of course).

Neomod

Quote from: buttgammon on July 18, 2021, 11:04:30 AM
They're weird. Roger looks way too young and Don has a bit of a Pete Campbell vibe (pre-baldìng of course).

Got a bit of a Morrissey eyeshadow thing going on too.

Blue Jam

I quite like the Mad Men Funko Pops, though the Betty Draper one is barely recognisable as her. I lile the detail of the tiny cigarette, it's both cute and a bit horrible:

I'd like the Jimmy McGill Funko Pop, but not for the £50+ it goes for, and I'd rather have it accompanied by a Kim Wexler Funko Pop but the bastards never made one. I might have a better chance of finding a cheap eBay knock-off of the Saul Goodman one but the hair is all wrong, the prequel character should not be balder than the main series character:

Got two Funkos in our house but they're not TV tat. They're of Donald Trump and, er, Jordan Henderson. The Trump one is a knock-off FAKE TOY I got for about £8 on eBay, the real one also goes for silly money but I'm not arsed about authenticity, the detailing on the combover is still spot-on so I'm happy. Think I got Jordan from Game and he's legit, was a daft present for Mr Jam. Really wanted a Jurgen Klopp one though. A Funko Klopp.

One is a NUTJOB and the other is Jordan Henderson, hoho.

mothman

Yesterday in a box I found what I think is a dog chew toy, a Spitting Image Thatcher bust. Almost tempted to put it on display on one of my Shelves Of Tat, but it might send the wrong message...

I fucking hate Funko Pops. Can't think of any scenario (or media property) in which I might get one. [nb]OK, maybe a 2001 Dave Bowman.[/nb]

Neomod

Quote from: mothman on July 18, 2021, 01:19:42 PM
Yesterday in a box I found what I think is a dog chew toy, a Spitting Image Thatcher bust. Almost tempted to put it on display on one of my Shelves Of Tat, but it might send the wrong message...

I thought I remembered these appreciating in value and checked ebay. If your thatcher is mint in packaging... £50.

Loose, 12 quid.

BeardFaceMan

My mum once bought me an Only Fools & Horses alarm clock, a plastic monstrosity that was made up of the tower block and the Reliant Robin, and it played the theme tune when it went off. I lasted a week of waking up to "no income tax, no VAT..." before I 'accidentally' stood on it getting out of bed. I suppose it did its job though because it made me want to go to bed early so I could get up before the fucking thing went off.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 18, 2021, 02:03:58 PM
My mum once bought me an Only Fools & Horses alarm clock, a plastic monstrosity that was made up of the tower block and the Reliant Robin, and it played the theme tune when it went off. I lasted a week of waking up to "no income tax, no VAT..." before I 'accidentally' stood on it getting out of bed. I suppose it did its job though because it made me want to go to bed early so I could get up before the fucking thing went off.

Oh gawd, I remember when those were bloody everywhere. A friend of mine bought one for her brother (it was that kind of tat designed to be bought for brothers and sons and dads at Christmas) and I remember it going "RODNEY YOU DIPSTICK YOU WALLY YOU PLONKER" before a couple of bars of the theme tune. Think this was around 2000, after the Mosque Clock but before Big Mouth Billy Bass.

mothman

Quote from: Neomod on July 18, 2021, 01:31:45 PM
I thought I remembered these appreciating in value and checked ebay. If your thatcher is mint in packaging... £50.

Loose, 12 quid.

Hmm. Maybe not a chew toy then, it looks more like one of these only without the pedestal.

Neomod

Quote from: mothman on July 18, 2021, 05:04:37 PM
Hmm. Maybe not a chew toy then, it looks more like one of these only without the pedestal.

This one?

mothman

Not sure. I'll have to dig it out again, look at it from that angle and maybe get a pic myself...

Blumf

Quote from: Neomod on July 18, 2021, 05:16:50 PM

Our (Tory) grandparents dog got through a few of those back in the 80s, we kept on buying new ones.

turnstyle

Not TV tat, but gaming tat.

Back in the day, prob when Bioshock 2 came out, I bought a Big Daddy collectable figure (definitely not, I repeat not, a doll). Looks like this:

I was massively into the first Bioshock, was hyped about the second one, so proudly placed this little fella on my TV cabinet.

When my girlfriend saw it she laughed for a good solid minute, and when she had regained her breath, she asked me what the fuck it was. Suitably ashamed and embarrassed, I stashed it away in a drawer, before taking it to the charity shop a few days later, where I imagine some elderly volunteer worker looked at it bemused, before throwing it directly into the rubbish thinking it was a bit of old shit that brain damaged child simpleton had made.

As for that girlfriend? Reader, I married her.

Blue Jam

If we're allowing video game tat:

Love this and am never drinking out of it ever
Spoiler alert
because it is a Mimic
[close]

mippy

Quote from: Neomod on July 18, 2021, 09:11:56 AM

The female ones were really well made - they're Silkstone bodies, which are the higher end collector Barbies, and Joan's came with a padded undergirdle to fill out her figure.

mippy

The men are just rubbish and generic, though, and I really really wanted a Peggy.

Neomod

If lego's not good enough, how about a scale recreation of the Seinfeld set made in collaboration with the shows designers. Oh and you get a piece of a Seinfeld set door thrown in too.

All yours for $495

or was. It sold out.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Neither of mine are TV related.

Ash Evil Dead thing. It's got a motion sensor on it, so when you walk past it plays choice samples from the films. Actually, they're going for £150 on eBay. Hmm.

Bioshock Little Sister. Unfortunately it's eyes don't glow in the dark. I should really get a Big Daddy to go with it.
(Not my hand in the picture. My hands are much prettier than that).

beanheadmcginty

Back when Jim'll was merely an eccentric old man I managed to secure myself a mint-in-box soap-on-a-rope in the shape of a Jim'll Fix It badge from Chiswick boot fair. Flogged it for a tidy profit on eBay after Yewtree blew up.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 20, 2021, 02:51:54 PM
a mint-in-box soap-on-a-rope in the shape of a Jim'll Fix It badge from Chiswick boot fair.

The bleakest run of words in history

Dex Sawash

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 20, 2021, 02:51:54 PM
Back when Jim'll was merely an eccentric old man I managed to secure myself a mint-in-box soap-on-a-rope in the shape of a Jim'll Fix It badge from Chiswick boot fair. Flogged it for a tidy profit on eBay after Yewtree blew up.

Imagine the value if he'd gone to prison

Edit- not making a prisonrapelol joke

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 20, 2021, 06:33:35 PM
Imagine the value if he'd gone to prison

Edit- not making a prisonrapelol joke

Well, he'd not have been able to drop the soap if he'd used the rope to tie it somewhere.

It'd also have helped remove the soap when one of the other prisoners rammed it right up!

Famous Mortimer

TV series "Revolution", which was very good but never recovered in the ratings from a slow first season, had a bunch of pendant / necklace things that were essential to the plot. You could also buy them from the NBC store, and they were a 1GB USB stick. Pictures of them here - I did have one of them but it must have been lost a few moves ago. Even though the show is long dead and mostly forgotten, I still kinda want it.