Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:35:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

St Vincent's new song's chorus is being accused of ripping off Nirvana

Started by willbo, July 15, 2021, 04:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

dr beat

Already got the rights on the name.  No royalties for you!

And of course I know all the tax havens.

Rizla

trabuch

there are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers

phantom_power

Quote from: Cuellar on July 15, 2021, 09:35:33 PM
I don't like St Vincent anymore because she's a member of the alt-right, so I'm siding with Nirvana on this one

Citation needed

PlanktonSideburns

I think this is fine despite St Vincent's recent KKK membership being exposed

PlanktonSideburns

Copyright laws should be the same for everyone, someone's funding of isis training camps should be judged separately

willbo

Quote from: famethrowa on July 15, 2021, 05:39:47 PM
Er yeah I don't think "I like her better and she looks nice" stands up well in court!

Darn right too. We are men of integrity - no pretty face would put that one past us.
If she was playing at a venue or studio I was at, I would stand there while she smiled and fluttered her eyelashes.

Then I would say ..."that's all very nice, miss. But there's the little matter of that Nirvana chorus you stole. It's time to give credit back".

Neomod

Quote from: willbo on July 16, 2021, 12:27:45 PM
Darn right too. We are men of integrity - no pretty face would put that one past us.
If she was playing at a venue or studio I was at, I would stand there while she smiled and fluttered her eyelashes.

How did things go with the sex worker wilbo?

:p

Magnum Valentino

Listened to it without reference to the Nirvana song and wouldn't have guessed that's the one she's been accused of stealing because I was too distracted by how much the music UNDER the vocal line sounds like that Lenny Kravitz song.

Video Game Fan 2000

I never liked her since she put her elbow through that Picasso and when the museum complained she suggested "maybe some orphans can pay for it"

Pauline Walnuts

I wasn't keen on her since that Martin Bormann tattoo, I mean 15 roses? Just bad taste.

willbo

Quote from: Neomod on July 16, 2021, 02:53:07 PM
How did things go with the sex worker wilbo?

:p

waiting to recover from impotence before i think about stuff like that

willbo

Got the album now and it's full of cheeky references to other famous songs from Sheena Easton to Pink floyd

GoblinAhFuckScary

got hyped around that single but i thought the album was... not good

peanutbutter

Was able to guess which Nirvana song it was, never got St Vincent at all and found that period she was being raved about to very tiresome, but don't see enough to warrant any kind of serious accusation in that. Even if it were intentional it's very very little to go off

It'd only have some kind of validity if she had a rep for chasing people over ripping her off, especially when you consider Nirvana's highly frequent references to how they thought Smells Like Teen Spirit ripped off Boston

willbo

how come noone ever talks about how Polly ripped off Bryan Adam's Run to you?

willbo

I always think "run to you" sounds like Nirvana's "polly" when I hear "run to you" on the radio.