Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:06:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HEATWAVE

Started by Barry Admin, July 16, 2021, 04:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Driven from cool mist in Arbroath to scorching sunshine in Sheffield today. Rains on the way this weekend though apparently, buggering the car boots I was looking forward to, damn, new page gripes.

buttgammon

There's more people about than usual, it's annoying.

I was just sitting behind some reeds on a riverbank, smoking a joint and minding my own business. I turned suddenly, noisily farted and heard some people laughing. A couple were walking through the reeds and heard the whole thing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buttgammon on July 21, 2021, 09:14:13 PM
There's more people about than usual, it's annoying.

I was just sitting behind some reeds on a riverbank, smoking a joint and minding my own business. I turned suddenly, noisily farted and heard some people laughing. A couple were walking through the reeds and heard the whole thing.

On Saturday I thought about going to try and find a bar for a couple of outside pints or maybe somewhere for a couple of outside cans and a joint/vape but then realised everyone else would have the same idea so just stayed in and got mullered listening to some records.

pigamus

Clock says 29 but it doesn't feel as bad today.

Sebastian Cobb

give it 10 minutes

BlodwynPig

Dex Sawash

95/34 humidity 55% no clouds but visibility only 2 miles due to smoke from forest fires 3000 miles away

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 21, 2021, 10:52:32 PM
95/34 humidity 55% no clouds but visibility only 2 miles due to smoke from forest fires 3000 miles away

If you insist on living in Lincoln then what do you expect.

Buelligan

37 in the shade and working in a rubber apron, gloves, mask.  Fuck me.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I was on the beach in my shorts at 9pm. No breeze. Paddled in the sea and the water was warm.

mothman

Sleeping under a duvet cover, no actual duvet in. And a fan blowing on us.

I've heard tell the best thing you can actually do is point a fan out the window and let it blow all the warm air out of the room. Has anyone ever tried this?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm doing that, but with the fan pointing inwards to draw the cooler air from outside into the room, and the bedroom door open to create a through draft.

Ideally you'd have two fans, one pointing in at one window, and another pointing out at another window. Unfortunately the room I'm in only has one window.

mothman

Yeah, I've tried both ways and neither seems to have much effect. And we've got one of those Dyson bladeless things, nice and quiet but not convinced it's good for moving large amounts of air.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've even tried putting a frozen water bottle behind a fan, which probably didn't do anything either. Unfortunately the best way to cool a room is to buy one of those mobile AC units and shove the pipe out of the window. They'll get used for about 7 days a year though, most years, so is the cost worth it?

peanutbutter

My flat this year is oddly cool even at the hottest.

Was gonna try just freezing a big block of ice (like, fill an ice cream tub with water and freeze it) and leaving it beside my fan, anyone ever do that? Does it work? Have no need to now so I haven't bothered.

idunnosomename

was fucking horrible today. went for a little amble about and came back and had to hose down my genitals.

also it was hot hahahaha!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 22, 2021, 01:16:47 AM
My flat this year is oddly cool even at the hottest.

Was gonna try just freezing a big block of ice (like, fill an ice cream tub with water and freeze it) and leaving it beside my fan, anyone ever do that? Does it work? Have no need to now so I haven't bothered.

Might be better to just unplug the refrigerator and open the door since it is making more heat than the amount of cold less heat stored in the ice.

Sebastian Cobb

i used to live in places where it was so cold we used to open the fridge

JesusAndYourBush

It was supposed to be cooler today but it was exactly the same as yesterday.  Maybe slightly more breeze though.

One thing I don't get...
The weather forecast on TV said at night things would cool to temperatures around 16 to 18 C.
I googled and it reckons the temperature now should be 18 C.

It's currently (at 2:12am) 28.5 C in the house right now with the windows wide open.  Is the house somehow retaining the heat despite the windows being fucking wide open, or are the forecasts bollocks??

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Yes. Heat gets absorbed into the house during the day (bricks, roof, everything) then gets released slowly during the night. Then there's all the insulation to think of, which also prevents it from leaving. Also British houses are designed to retain heat, whereas houses in somewhere hot are designed to lose it, or at least keep buildup to a minimum.

(I think this is pretty much the reason. Could somebody intelligent back me up, preferably with diagrams and long words?)

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: mothman on July 22, 2021, 12:50:06 AM
Yeah, I've tried both ways and neither seems to have much effect. And we've got one of those Dyson bladeless things, nice and quiet but not convinced it's good for moving large amounts of air.

Fucking dyson

May as well put a bloody orgone box in the window

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on July 22, 2021, 12:04:54 AM

Rubber mask...?

kalowski

Quote from: Buelligan on July 22, 2021, 12:04:54 AM
As far as come ons go it's pretty direct, but I have to say the S and M thing has never been for me.

steve98

One think I'd hate in this heat (though it's not strictly S & M) would be being part of a human centipede (especially the thorax.)

buzby

It's killed my laptop. Going to have to buy a new one now.

Icehaven

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 22, 2021, 03:30:22 AM
Yes. Heat gets absorbed into the house during the day (bricks, roof, everything) then gets released slowly during the night. Then there's all the insulation to think of, which also prevents it from leaving. Also British houses are designed to retain heat, whereas houses in somewhere hot are designed to lose it, or at least keep buildup to a minimum.

I moved in March and from then until it started to get a bit warmer the house was fucking freezing all the time, even when it wasn't that cold out. It could be about 10 degrees and you could still see your breath inside, it was ridiculous. This last week or so it's been absolutely boiling and stuffy as hell no matter how many windows we open. I presume the insulation is shit so it doesn't retain heat when it's cold and absorbs it all when it's hot. 

Chedney Honks

Everyone saying put a ice bottle in front of the fan does that really work? I'm too hot to make the effort to try it'll if I it's no guaranteed. I may die.

bgmnts

I tried it and didn't notice a difference.

Uncle TechTip

I tried it, and yes! Doesn't stay frozen for very long though.

wooders1978

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 22, 2021, 01:00:18 AM
I've even tried putting a frozen water bottle behind a fan, which probably didn't do anything either. Unfortunately the best way to cool a room is to buy one of those mobile AC units and shove the pipe out of the window. They'll get used for about 7 days a year though, most years, so is the cost worth it?

Yep - mine has really earned its corn this week and on a fair few occasions on the 3 or so years since I invested, I think it was £250 from screw fix, or thereabouts - bloody noisy but a nice cool living room to beat a retreat to after enjoying some sunshine is a godsend, me and the pooch have been camping out downstairs all week - it is *bastard* hot upstairs