Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Werewolves Within (2021)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2021, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Previously on CaB:

Quote from: SteveDave on July 14, 2021, 10:00:36 AM
It's not really a horror film but I can't be arsed starting a new thread so-

"Werewolves Within"

Apparently based on a computer game, a new ranger starts in a small snowbound town full of strange people. Half the town want a new oil pipe to be built there, the other half don't. The power gets cut off by a storm and all the generators are sabotaged. People go missing, people get found dead. They all agree to spend the night in the big hotel in town but which one of them is the werewolf?

It was OK. Could've done with less improv from the leads at times and, strangely, it could've done with being longer. It would've suited a 6 part 45 minute per episode series. Build up the tension and paranoia a bit more.

Quote from: frajer on July 14, 2021, 10:48:36 AM
Watched that over the weekend myself and enjoyed it as a bit of disposable fun, but as you say it was OK and nothing more.

Definitely plot-by-numbers, but thought the cast (Sam Richardson and Milana Vayntrub in particular) worked great individually and also made for an appealing ragtag ensemble.

I wish a thread had been made though as I rarely look in the horror films thread these days as I'm struggling with the genre, and only watched this as it was supposed to be funny, though most of the time I was bored. Here's the review I wrote after having finished it:

Supposed comedy horror based on a PC Game, but it's light on comedy and light on horror and long only on tiresome tropes you'll have seen too many times before. This got some good reviews upon its release but I'm not sure why, it's got a decent cast (with Veep's Sam Richardson, Other Space's Milana Vayntrub and Casual's Michaela Watson the highlights, though it wastes What We Do In The Shadows' Harvey Guillén) and there's the odd funny bit, but it's humdrum and largely bland
Spoiler alert
until the final half hour where it picks up a bit, though the final twist is disappointing, at one point it looks like the whole werewolf thing was going to be one big fake out but then the obvious suspect turned out to be one.
[close]
Ugh. 5.4/10

Famous Mortimer

I just noticed this thread (having replied to SMBH on Twitter).

I'd recommend it, even though I'd never heard of the game it's based on (I assume it's something akin to "Among Us"?)  Vayntrub is decent and ought to be doing something more interesting than being the AT&T spokesperson, and there were plenty of other fun people in it. Just a little too slight.

St_Eddie

I'd never heard of the game, so I looked up a trailer and it's basically just the Mafia forum game.