Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,476
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Zang Tumb Tuum

Started by The Mumbler, August 02, 2005, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "The Mumbler"
Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Yep, I'll put my hands up say that was a boneheaded comment to make.

That's way too harsh!  The press line always maintained the ban happened before it became a major hit so it's understandable that the myth's got repeated down the years.   And it is a long time ago now.

Thanks, I appreciate that:) At the time Relax was out, I wasn't that into into music. It's really strange. From 1983-1984, I remember very little of the music scene. Which is very weird given I've been a music junkie since the mid 70's!

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Smash Hits also displayed a rare bit of prudery as it admitted in a Frankie article that it had decided not to print the lyrics as they were 'a bit rude'.  

Do you know the first publication to print the lyrics? Because I couldn't work loads of them out for years, and I remember periodically searching shops for the (non-existent?) sheet music. The first time I ever saw them was in a booklet given away with No1 magazine circa 1985, containing the lyrics from twenty or so recent chart-toppers. Not sure if they ever printed them at the time. The thing is, I remember those lyrics bing slightly suspect (they claimed the final line is 'Everyone it's party time' for example), and I think they differ to the lyrics you get if you do a Google search nowadays.

I wonder whether ZTT ever released the lyrics officially, whether they deliberately inserted mistakes, or whether No1 magazine simply worked them out themselves. Ditto Two Tribes, actually - I've often wondered whether the line 'Sock it to me biscuits now' was genuinely what Holly sang, ZTT pissing about, or a classic piece of mishearing.

The Mumbler

I didn't buy No. 1 but maybe they printed the lyrics.

With Two Tribes, incidentally, one of Frankie - I think it was Mark O'Toole - predicted that Radio 1, humiliated over the Relax issue, would "play it to death".  And they did.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

When FGTH apperaed on Saturday Superstore to plug the Welcome to the Pleasuredome single, their prize draw question was 'Who banned Relax?'. Read grimaced. Can't recall whether he said anything when they made the draw the following week, sadly.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"I've often wondered whether the line 'Sock it to me biscuits now' was genuinely what Holly sang, ZTT pissing about, or a classic piece of mishearing.

Seems like a bizarre line, but then in "One Vision", if you've seen the studio footage of the recording, Freddie quite clearly says "Fried Chicken" at the end:)

The Mumbler

A few press releases from the ZTT site at www.ztt.com:

pArts of Noise
As we continue piecing together the early history of the Art of Noise, for a forthcoming box set, Anne Dudley has been in the studio with the original Who's Afraid demo tapes. Taking fragments, samples and edits from the cutting room floor, she has collated them into a set of finished pieces, two of which have titles - It's Not Fair! and It's Stopped. [24.02.2006]

Art of Noise Unmasked
And What Have You Done With My Body, God? is the title of ZTT's forthcoming box set celebrating and exploring the early Art of Noise archives. Currently at mastering and artwork stage, it will contain three CDs, one DVD and the most detailed bookl(let) we have ever published. The track listing for disc one? See below. And check back here for more updates soon... [19.04.2006]
The Very Start of Noise
Beat Box (One Made Earlier) / Once Upon A Lime / War (Demo 2) / Close to the Edge / Confession / Moments in Love 7:52 / Sign of Relief / Who's Afraid of Scale / So What Happens Now (Take 2) / The Subject Has Moved Left / It's Not Fair / Close to the Edge (Ruff Mix) / A Time for Fear (Who's Afraid?) / Moments in Bed.

Unmasked
Disc Two of the forthcoming Art of Noise box set And What Have You Done With My Body, God? has been officially finalised, rubber-stamped and green-lighted. Entitled Found Sounds and Field Trips, it's the band at their most playful, recording and sampling everything from tennis matches to actresses to old vinyl to the Sarm West studio toilets hand-dryer. Here's the tracklist:
Found Sounds...
Moments (12" B Side Idea, 03:10), Tears Out of a Stone (02:56), Samba #2 (00:39), The Chain of Chance (04:36), Fairlight-in-the-Being (04:37), Diversions 3 (03:53), Close (to Being Compiled, 03:47), Diversions 5 (03:46), Damn It All! (01:42), Structure (01:13); The Angel Reel: Hymn 1 (Take 2, 00:36), Hymn 3 (01:20), Fairground (00:43); And What Have You... (04:40), Klimax (01:48), Who Knew? (02:36) [07.07.2006]

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I still want to hear it all!

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Cor, I wonder if they'll get on to the mid-period stuff? Just think - Max Headroom rushes!

Pesumably all the raw sessions for FGTH exist as well. Imagine!

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Cor, I wonder if they'll get on to the mid-period stuff? Just think - Max Headroom rushes!

They (well, Anne Dudley, JJ Jeczalik and Gary Langan) had left ZTT by then, though.  The second LP, In Visible Silence (1986) came out on China, a subsidiary of Chrysalis.

Interestingly, when the AON split was originally announced in mid-85, it was claimed that Morley and Horn (the only members to stay with ZTT) were forming a duo called Act & Art.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Gift horse and all that, but I wish they'd release all the raw stuff, itemised and indexed, rather than creating yet more remixes which are impossible to keep track of.

But then, that's never been what they'e about - they like the idea of The Complete Collection being near-impossible to acquire. All those catalogue numbers asigned to things that weren't actually records. Those crazy futurists...

TOCMFIC

Would be nice if for this AON release they did what some other arists have done recently, like Nine Inch Nails and Byrne & Eno. Release the master tracks so people can make their own remixes.

As for Frankie, I would think the lawsuit would put paid to any chance of that. (The royalties one.)

TOCMFIC

Oh happy day on the MP3 player...

Fire it up (it's only 256 megs, but does the job for me just fine), first track? "Two Tribes", the Carnage mix. Nice... Next track? "Welcome to the Pleasuredome"... Next track... I am not making this up, but it was Propaganda's "Duel"... This was on shuffle, and I have about 25 songs on there... Utterly glorious.

TOCMFIC

Worth a bump to say rest in peace Patrick!

"If anyone should die while in the shelter, put them outside, but remember to tag them first for identification purposes,"

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Worth a bump to say rest in peace Patrick!

"If anyone should die while in the shelter, put them outside, but remember to tag them first for identification purposes,"

Noooo. I didn't know he'd gone. Sad news, especially as he was so integral to the Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer.

"Mine is the last voice... you will ever hear".

TOCMFIC

Found on the dead thread on GD. Died last week apparently:(

What did he do on Reeves and Mortimer? I don't remember!

Ciarán2

Announcer voice.

"Cats! In bomber jackets!"

He said that for one thing. :-)

23 Daves

"Jeff Lynne out of ELO, whilst holidaying in Geneva with his cow..."

That's another line he said that, for whatever reason, always makes me titter whenever I remember it.  It wouldn't have been as funny if Vic or Bob had said it - it was the deep earnestness of his delivery that allowed him to deliver the most preposterous lines to good effect.

Christian O'Connell employed him for awhile on XFM as well.  "It's pure radio horse!  Shoot it up, sister!  Shoot it up!"  That's another line he was made to say.  I think it caused O'Connell to mutter sadly "The things we make that poor old man say...."

TOCMFIC

hehehe I remember now. I miss Reeves and Mortimer. Would love to see their stuff again. Sadly over here it would receive a large "Huh?" from people. Canadian's don't tend to go for such strange humour.

23 Daves

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"hehehe I remember now. I miss Reeves and Mortimer. Would love to see their stuff again. Sadly over here it would receive a large "Huh?" from people. Canadian's don't tend to go for such strange humour.

The wife can't stand them.  And it's well known that the gigs Reeves and Mortimer did in Canada bombed spectacularly.  

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I've recently had a baby"
(Claps, cheers and shouts of "woo, yeah!")
"His name's Ian, and he's a crab!" (holds up crab).

*stunned silence*

The Gush

Only just heard the sad news about Mr Allen.  May he rest in peace.  Loved his surreal announcements in R&M  and, of course the Orwellian Protect & Survive stuff in Frankie's Two Tribes "Mine is the last voice you will ever hear.  Don't be alarmed!" - chillingly wonderful.  My funniest memory of him though, was in the first Blackadder: "Fifteen years of eating snails!  Fifteen years of saying pardon!"  OK, doesn't look too funny in blue and white but as a twelve year old at the time, I found it bloody hilarious.  RIP Patrick.

TOCMFIC

So, did any of you actually buy the following?

Quote from: "The Mumbler"I think this zips straight to the top of my priorities:

---------

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY BODY GOD [4 Disc Box Set]
Art Of Noise
ZTT

Released 7 August 2006

Price: £24.99 [on Amazon at any rate]

Disc 1
1. Beat Box (One Made Earlier)
2. Once Upon A Lime
3. War (Demo 2)
4. Close To The Edge
5. Confession
6. Moments In Love
7. Sign Of Relief
8. Who's Afraid of Scale?
9. So What Happens Now? (Take 2)
10. The Subject Has Moved Left
11. It's Not Fair
12. Close To The Edge (Ruff Mix)
13. A Time For Fear (Who's Afraid?)
14. Moments In Bed

Disc: 2
1. Moments In Love (12" B Side Idea)
2. Tears Out Of A Stone
3. Samba #2
4. The Chain Of Chance
5. Fairlight-In-The-Being
6. Diversions 3
7. Close (To Be Compiled)
8. Diversions 5
9. Damn It All!
10. Structure
11. The Angel Reel: Hymn 1 (Take 2)
12. The Angel Reel: Hymn 3
13. The Angel Reel: Fairground
14. And What Have You Done With My Body, God?
15. Klimax
16. Who Knew?

Disc: 3
1. War (Demo 4)
2. The Focus Of Satisfaction
3. Moments In Love (7" Master Rejected)
4. It Stopped
5. The Uncertainty Of Syrup
6. The Long Hello
7. The Vacuum Divine
8. The Ambassadors Reel: Beat Box
9. The Ambassadors Reel: Medley
10. The Ambassadors Reel: Oobly
11. Goodbye Art Of Noise

Disc: 4
1. Battle
2. Beat Box
3. The Army Now
4. Donna
5. Moments In Love
6. Bright Noise
7. Flesh In Armour
8. Comes And Goes
9. Moment In Love
10. That Was Close
11. Moments In Love + Moments In Love (Beaten)
12. Love Beat
13. In Case We Sneezed
14. A Time To Hear - Who's Listening
15. (Do) Donna (Do)
16. Battle Outakes

ZTT have a clear-out.  This is like having someone finding new chemical elements.  They might yet do the definitive Propaganda one at this rate.

Ambient Sheep, Lalla and me.  Who else is going to buy this?

Ciarán2

I haven't found it in the shop yet. When I went into HMV and asked if they had it I was given quite a funny look by the assistant. "Oh Ark of Noise, yeah, i'lll look for it.... Sorry it's ARt of Noise? And it's called what?" They had a thing in stock and he couldn't tell from the computer screen whether it was a DVD or a CD, but it was called "Who's Afraid Of...?" so I presume it was the album. I might look for it today.

The Mumbler

Me, I got it.  It's a phenomenal, beautiful thing.  I would say that, if you don't already know the Who's Afraid Of...? LP or the Daft compilation, it will be a bewildering, and possibly irritating experience - but it's astonishing.  It's the sessions laid bare on the first three discs, complete with tape numbers and dates logged.   The fourth disc is the whole of the Into Battle 12" (including the five-minute Moments In Love, rather than the ten-minute one which is of course on the LP), and the cassette singles of That Was Close and The Tortoise & The Hare.

Talk of the Anne Dudley 2006 remixes, which did concern me, turn out to be less populous than I'd feared - only six of 41 tracks are newly compiled.  

Those who love rushes, alternative edits, outtakes and so on will be in their element here.  You see the journey of A Time To Fear (Who's Afraid?) from its marching first theme, the brooding middle section, the moment when they decide to put them together (still without the speeches on top), and even an unannounced moment where a full minute of the Glenn Miller sample can be heard (cut to five seconds on the finished track).  You get to hear the beginnings of Memento, when the St. Matthew Passion was considered for inclusion - the group spent an afternoon messing about and ended up cutting it down to a minute and a half.  How Beat Box became Close (To The Edit) is now a much clearer crossover point.  There are vocal samples which (understandably, actually) were dropped.  All this, and so, so much more.  Oddly enough, How To Kill isn't represented, but everything else from the album is.

Terrific sleevenotes too, in which Dudley, Horn, Jeczalik, Langan and Morley appear to have made up, and compare notes on how it all came about.  And stuff you've taken for granted suddenly makes sense - hands up who hadn't even realised that Moments In Love is a nine-bar phrase (for its first half, anyway).

TOCMFIC

Interesting. I went and pulled this off Demonoid last night. (Hey, MP3 downloading is still legal here thanks to the levys we pay on media and the fact our legal system isn't entirely owned by corporations.)

Would really like to buy the set someday though. Art of Noise are responsible for shaping a lot of my musical taste, and really, I'd say the harsh beats they used were probably my gateway drug into industrial music. (Without AoN, I would probably have never checked out Front 242 for example.)

I find it interesting what you said about the sleevenotes. Largely the same thing happened with Marillion. It seems Fish and the rest of the band were able to bury the hatchet for the notes on the remasters. (I only have Fugazi, which EMI gave me for free when I bitched about an earlier Marillion release, but I assume the others are the same.) It's nice when folk who didn't get on can finally do that. Of course, the promise of a big fucking pay day can probably heal a lot of wounds...

Art Of The 12", Volume 2 out soon, some goodies on this...

Zang Tuum Tumb, the Big Beat Colossus and a battalion of Fairlights and Synclaviers, equipped with light pens and 8-inch floppy disc drives, line up to present... The Art of the 12" – Volume 2. A celebration/revelation extrapolation of the extended remix. To quote Chance by Act, "why quit now?"

Following the success of ZTT & Salvo's The Art of the 12" compilation – released almost exactly one year ago, we're back with Volume II. Two new, 75+-minute CDs compile the best and the rarest ZTT 80s 12" remixes, with a few special detours into related and off-shoot tracks, including:

Paul McCartney – Spies Like Us: 12" remix by Art of Noise, previously unreleased
Godley & Creme – Cry: 12" remix by Trevor Horn, previously unreleased on CD
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – Julia's Song: 12", previously unreleased on CD
Thomas Leer – Heartbeat: 12" remix, previously unreleased on CD
Scritti Politti – Absolute: dub mix by Art of Noise's Gary Langan

But these are more than just 12" remixes, these are full-on wide-screen cinematic extensions: for the first time on CD, The Art of the 12" II presents the 15-minute Keep The Peace version of Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Graham Massey/808 States' two-part, 10-minute take on the AoN classic, Moments in Love.

The resplendent Teutonic beats of Propaganda are back in full effect: The Art of the 12", Volume II features two tracks previously only available on vinyl: Dr Mabuse Der Spieler and Dr Mabuse (Special Instrumental Mix) as well as a hitherto unheard 12" of Sorry For Laughing. Propaganda's Claudia Brucken teams up with Thomas Leer for another previously unreleased track: the Whammy Mix of Act's Chance.

Add in never-before-heard 12" mixes by Instinct, Frankie Goes To Hollywood (of both War! and Relax), Nasty Rox Inc., and rare-as-f*** mixes of the Mint Juleps (with Horn at the helm, sampling Martin Luther King), Das Psycho Rangers and Art of Noise, and add in six micromixes – the pioneering interludes as used on The Art of the 12" Volume I to break up the long-form madness – and you have the first essential compilation of classic pop in 2012.

Catalogue # SALVOMDCD27 – Element 21"

Disc One

1. "you are warmly invited to come inside" – 01:38
2. Frankie Goes to Hollywood: Two Tribes (Keep The Peace) – 15:19
3. Paul McCartney: Spies Like Us (Art of Noise Remix) – 05:26
4. Godley & Creme: Cry (Extended Remix) – 07:25
5. Instinct: Swamp Down (12" Mix) – 06:43
6. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: Julia's Song (Extended Version) – 08:33
7. 808 State Vs. Art of Noise: Moments in Love (Massey Mix One) – 05:39
8. Thomas Leer: Heartbeat (Extended Mix) – 08:44
9. "bassline interlude" – 01:00
10. Act: Chance (Whammy Mix) – 07:20
11. Frankie Goes to Hollywood: War (Coming Out of Hiding) – 03:16
12. Propaganda: Dr Mabuse der Spieler (An International Incident) – 05:38

Tracks 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11: previously unreleased
Tracks 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12: previously unreleased on CD

Disc Two

1. Scritti Politti: Absolute (Version) – 06:11
2. Art of Noise: Close Up – 07:37
3. Propaganda: Sorry For Laughing (12" Mix) – 05:30
4. das Psych-oh! Rangers: he He Radical (Episode 2) – 07:05
5. "piano interlude" – 01:00
6. Nasty Rox Inc.: What It Is (Live Instrumental Wonder) – 04:00
7. Mint Juleps: Every Kinda People (Parts I, II and III) – 14:00
8. Anne Pigalle: He Stranger (Parts I, II and III) – 07:27
9. 808 State Vs. Art of Noise: Moments in Love (Massey Mix Three) – 05:13
10. "the flash forward" – 03:21
11. Frankie Goes to Hollywood: Relax (Man Has a Sense for the Discovery of Beauty, Part I) – 02:30
12. "zang tuum interlude" – 00:30
13. Art of Noise: Close Up (Hop) – 05:10
14. Propaganda: Dr. Mabuse (Special Instrumental Mix) – 05:27
15. "cadenza" – 01:30

Tracks 5, 6, 9, 11: previously unreleased
Tracks 3, 4, 14: previously unreleased on CD

Norton Canes

Cor!
Consider me interested.