Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,480
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party: Kieth Stalin: The Gammon Panderer (and Blackpool Cock)

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 17, 2021, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernice

jobotic

Quote from: Vyvian Withnail on September 14, 2021, 12:46:54 PM
Jockice, my love, I think your issue is that you have been spoilt by old Jezza's years of leadership, and now that he and his fellow travellers are gone and there is once again some semblance of normality in the party, you and your ilk are upset and so are stamping your feet and saying you'll never vote for them again (even though you gladly voted Labour under Blair).

It's one step up from piss off back to the SWP like you vomited up last time. Well done Comrade

NoSleep

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 14, 2021, 12:58:36 PM
Does the idea of cultural hegemony come largely out of Gramsci or were other Marxists writing about it at the tine?

The leading faction of the Communist Party of Great Britain (Martin Jacques et al) were keen on Gramsci just before they dissolved the party. Paul Mason is keen on Gramsci and recommended members of the Labour Party to vote for Kieth.

Video Game Fan 2000

Cultural hegemony is one of them things you're supposed to tip your hat to but not actually think about with any measure of seriousness. It's a radical idea, hard to talk about without causing discomfort or being honest about ones own thinking.

Say social differences are are just class antagonisms in disguise and they throw you in jail, etc etc

NoSleep

Quote from: chveik on September 14, 2021, 01:36:25 PM
so???

He's a name that people you shouldn't heed bandy about? Another would be a an associate of mine who signed the Euston Manifesto. I only have bad memories associated with Gramsci.

Pink Gregory

I haven't done the reading, I was more associating it with the hegemony of 'common sense' that runs anthithetical to class interests, in favour of individualisation and the needs of capital etc that are basically the default position, or seems to be.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 14, 2021, 04:10:00 PM
I haven't done the reading, I was more associating it with the hegemony of 'common sense' that runs anthithetical to class interests, in favour of individualisation and the needs of capital etc that are basically the default position, or seems to be.

I think that's a a good way to put it, that what is just given by experience without reflection, etc. what everyone just knows.

The mistake is to associate cultural hegemony with one particular cultural force like America, China, Christianity, Straight White Guys, Consumerism, etc. its more pernicious like that - what everyone "just knows" and whatever it is it means we have to act against class interests. A dominant social group doesn't advance an ideology that centralizes itself, it advances one that makes its values implicit - second nature.

idunnosomename

Just saying, if Starmer as Blair 2.0 was 20 points ahead in the polls, the crank hard left wouldnt be moaning about him quite so much

Buelligan

chveik

Quote from: NoSleep on September 14, 2021, 02:19:19 PM
He's a name that people you shouldn't heed bandy about? Another would be a an associate of mine who signed the Euston Manifesto. I only have bad memories associated with Gramsci.

i don't really get it. do you mean that right-wingers have co-opted him? i don't think we should abandon someone that was imprisoned solely for being a communist to these cunts.

i haven't read him much, i just trust this poem

Quote from: Pasolini[...] A red rag, like those the partisans
furled around their throats
and, nearby the urn, in the waxen soil
differently red, two geraniums.
Here you lie, exiled, with cruel Protestant
neatness, listed among the foreign
dead: Gramsci's ashes... Between hope
and my ancient distrust, I draw near you, happening
by chance on this meagre greenhouse, in the presence
of your grave, in the presence of your spirit, afoot,
down here among the free. (Or is it something
else, perhaps more ecstatic
and even more humble, the enraptured symbiosis
of the adolescent, of sex and death...)
And, of this country which would not let you rest,
I feel this an injustice: your mental strain
- here among the silences of the dead - what
reason - our troubled destiny
You would have been inscribing your final
pages in the days of your assassination.
Here are the seeds - I testify -
still undispersed by the ancient rule,
these dead men chained to ownership
that over centuries submerges their shame
and their grandeur: at the same time, obsessed -
the striking of anvils, stifled,
quietly grieving - of the lowly
quarter - attesting to its end.
And here I am... a poor man, dressed
in clothes the poor ogle in store windows
of coarse splendour, that have faded,
in the filth of more lost streets,
of streetcar benches, from which my day
is removed: more and more rarely
I have these days off from the torment
of deciding to live; and if it should happen I
love the world, it's not with a violent
and ingenuous sensual love
like I had, a confused adolescent, a season
I hated; if in it I hurt the bourgeois
affliction of my bourgeois self: and now, the world
- with you - cleft, that part which had the power
doesn't it seem now an object of bitterness,
almost mystical contempt?
Yet without your rigour, I exist
not because I choose to. I live in the non-will
of postwar decline: loving
the world I hate - in its distress
contemptuous and lost - in a dark scandal
of consciousness [...]

Jockice

Quote from: Vyvian Withnail on September 14, 2021, 12:46:54 PM
Jockice, my love, I think your issue is that you have been spoilt by old Jezza's years of leadership, and now that he and his fellow travellers are gone and there is once again some semblance of normality in the party, you and your ilk are upset and so are stamping your feet and saying you'll never vote for them again (even though you gladly voted Labour under Blair).

Once bitten, twice shy. Won't get fooled again. Etc.

idunnosomename

Sirkeir in Bermondsey

QuoteThis morning, I met Sandra, Dave and Naima who are key workers.
Key workers have got us through the pandemic but now the Tories are hiking their taxes.
2.5 million working families are facing a double whammy of a National Insurance tax rise and a Universal Credit cut of £1,000.

he just seems to think by pretending he is PM that somehow the position will simply default to him because he is the most PM person

also Angela is as bad as he is. i didnt vote for her

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Paul Calf

Quote from: NoSleep on September 14, 2021, 02:19:19 PM

Yeah, you know what it's like with Gramsci. One minute you're having a nice walk in the park with him, all of a sudden you stumble over £100,000 and he thinks you're rich and chews your leg off and you have to spend the 100 grand on a new leg.

Johnny Yesno

Dr Rock

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 15, 2021, 08:43:04 AM
I didn't vote Labour under Blair.

Actually, I didn't in 97. The first of my tactical votes. Don't think I did in 2005 either. Can't remember who got my x in 2001. Despite not having moved house since 1993, my constituency has changed. The one I'm in now is an incredibly safe Labour seat (with an MP who is quite frankly a nonentity) so me withdrawing my vote is unlikely to make the slightest difference. Unfortunately.

holyzombiejesus

All that pot banging and blue hearts on twitter should been the moment for Labour to seize the initiative and discuss how, if we actually value care workers and other key workers, we need to pay them a wage that represents that. Instead, months later, we're doing shitty photoshoots and arguing that things need to be the way they were a few weeks ago.

For fucks sake, we could be looking at an election in about 18 months and rather than positioning the party as the people who will fight for low paid workers and fundamentally change the way we value and remunerate key low-paid workers, we're quibbling about a National Insurance rise that Sir took days to actually decide he didn't agree with.

pigamus

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 15, 2021, 10:25:54 AM
For fucks sake, we could be looking at an election in about 18 months

But we just had an election and the next one isn't for at least four....

*does the maths*

Fucking hell

olliebean

They're doing their best at finding spurious pretexts to expel left-wing conference delegates from the party before they have a chance to vote against Evans at conference, apparently. It looks like being an utter stitch-up if they get their way.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It could be they are being so unbelievably shit at being the opposition party because they have no energy left over after what they are putting into purging the left from Labour.

chveik

Buelligan

Is it from The Ashes of Gramsci?

Quote from: pancreas on September 15, 2021, 01:37:39 PM
https://twitter.com/marshadecordova/status/1327231690679476224?lang=en

Which does not tally.

Big silence from Cordova not only over the constant poison dripping from Duffield but the Jess Barnard thing - silence over a Young Labour activist being hounded for opposing transphobia.