Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Family tree goes to the movies

Started by Smeraldina Rima, July 17, 2021, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
E.g.

Paternal Grandfather and Paternal Grandmother: unknown.

Maternal Grandfather: Lawrence of Arabia; Ben Hur. Maternal Grandmother: Gone with the Wind; Casablanca.

Father: The Sting; The Producers; Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd films. Mother: Chariots of Fire; Guys and Dolls.

Brother: Kevin Costner films.

Not only a bit of fun but a thread that will probably go down as an important social study (of which aloof cunts don't participate).

Small Man Big Horse

Paternal Grandmother: Unknown; Paternal Grandfather: No idea but he took me to see Flash Gordon and seemed to enjoy it, so lets say that.

Maternal Grandfather: Unknown; Maternal Grandmother: Again I'm not sure but I remember watching Harold Lloyd films with her, so I'll go with them.

Father: Struggling again as he didn't watch films really, but the one solitary cinema trip that my mother forced him in to we went to see Cocoon together.

Mother: On firmer ground here, she loves Hugh Grant films and About A Boy especially, plus anything with horses (Flicka being her favourite) and also A Street Cat Named Bob, who was like a horse but smaller.

Sister: The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Harry Potter, Highlander, Dudley Moore comedies.

Step-Brother: No idea, but the last time I saw him involved a cinema trip to see The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! which he liked, though the fucker talked all the way through it too, quoting any line of dialogue that he found funny.

chveik

lol i thought this was some kind of riddle

Quote from: chveik on July 17, 2021, 02:02:12 PM
lol i thought this was some kind of riddle

Yes, it was accidentally quite mysterious.

chocolate teapot

Paternal Grandfather and Paternal Grandmother: also unknown but when I asked my mum she told me a story of how my Paternal Grandmother went to an airshow and went for a ride on an airplane.

Maternal Grandfather: Sanders of the River Maternal Grandmother: couldn't really think she liked to watch sports mainly, snooker.

Father: Possibly Zulu, country and western with the songs and one time when he was in the Navy in WW2 he went to see a film where a leggy blonde women was singing a song about I love to give men the horn or words to that effect and the audience (of navy men) would go wahheyyy. Also he watched Top of the Pops every week well into his seventies. 

Mother: She's saying loads but can only remember Zulu at the moment

Sister: She can't think but she loved One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and would watch it every night at one point.

I have another sister but she hasn't answered yet.

chocolate teapot

Regarding the WW2 film, it starred Betty Grable, I can't find the exact song at the minute cos there are loads of musicals from that era and googling horn and men doesn't bring anything up (wahheeyyy)

My other sister responded with "no idea probably comedies, I love The Three Amigos." As do I! The Three Amigos doesn't get talked about much but it's a great film and one of my faves when I was younger probably cos of my sister here :)

Glebe

Two great childhood memories, my dad taking me to see The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians.

zomgmouse

When I was younger, my dad mainly liked taking me to see blockbusters or animation because he admires "visual craft", so I was taken to see things like Pirates of the Caribbean 2, The Incredibles and The Polar Express, but also to IMAX for documentaries on African animals (I was particularly young and hid under the seat when the elephants came on) and Cirque Du Soleil 3D. Also remember going to see School of Rock with him, a classic in the father-son bonding genre. Outside of a cinema setting the director he has recommended to me the most consistently would, weirdly but understandably enough, be Peter Greenaway. He's told me that when he was a lot younger he liked Tarkovsky and westerns like The Magnificent Seven but that he probably wouldn't like them now. If I asked him now he'd say he enjoys films where you can see people live their lives, and films without recognisable names/faces.

My maternal grandmother didn't take me to see stuff and I'm not sure exactly what she liked but she did fancy Sean Connery. Didn't know any of my other grandparents.

My mum used to like "artier" fare and it was because of her that I started going to film festivals. She kept a little diary of all the films she would watch. I think I still have it somewhere but it's a bit emotional to go back to. I seem to recall that one of her (and my dad's) favourites was Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring.

That's touching knowing how big a part of your life films are. I like how multifaceted your dad's taste and his early guidance has been. It would be nice if you can go back to your mum's film diary one day. I went on my first date to the father-son classic, School of Rock.

Thanks for the other replies and for going into more detail than I did about remembered family favourites and other films you remember being introduced to.

I remember my dad getting the re-released Fantasia on video for me and my brother when we were children and the three of us being confused by the lack of a conventional plot and then my dad getting annoyed about letting us down with an abstract Disney film.

famethrowa

Paternal Grandfather and Paternal Grandmother: not sure, but they were "disgusted" by Crocodile Dundee

Maternal Grandfather: wouldn't know Maternal Grandmother: The Compleat Beatles VHS, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Father: Carry on Camping, Genevieve Mother: The Sting, Sound of Music

Brother: The Dambusters, Cannonball Run 2

Inspector Norse

Have an early memory of mum and dad going out for the evening to watch The Double Life of Veronique at the cinema, and they gave me the Three Colours trilogy on DVD when they noticed I was first getting into film beyond what was on at the big cinema in town.

Both parents liked Woody Allen, Golden Age Hollywood, Hitchcock, Bergman, Fellini, the big names. Mum shared a taste for classic musicals with her parents, and will watch pretty much anything French though preferably "charming" rom-coms. Dad could get more into dad-flicks like Bond, classic sci-fi etc. He can also sit and watch arty Euro stuff now and again.

Paternal grandparents not sure beyond a memory of watching The Gold Rush at their house.
Maternal grandparents liked musicals, Bob 'n Bing, stuff from when they were younger. Mary Poppins, we used to get when grandma babysat. Remember my grandad talking about Ice Cold in Alex a lot.

My sister nowadays shares a lot of taste with my mum I think, basically Almodovar and anything like the Before... films with an attractive couple talking a lot. When we were kids her big ones were Beautt and the Beast then Titanic.

Brother I don't know, don't really talk films when I see him but suspect his taste has matured from the teenage days when his shelves were full of dreadful pirated action films.