Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jackass Forever

Started by Psychotic Mongoose, July 18, 2021, 10:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
The 4th in the Jackass movie series is released in October. Trailer arrives on 20th July.

Yes yes Jackass is puerile, childish, stupid, whatever but I love it and am really looking forward to the return to the big screen, even more so knowing that my least favourite member Bam Margera won't be in it.

A few preview pics have been released including 'Two guys on tarantula' along with one of Knoxville being launched (again) from some sort of cannon rocket thing.

I saw Jackass 3D at the cinema and loved the attention to detail with the 3D and other hi tech cameras used all just to film the essentially pissing about.

https://instagram.com/jackass?utm_medium=copy_link

Custard

Bam Margera has been having a complete meltdown the last few months, after he left the film, or was told to leave. It's quite sad really, as he's clearly got mental health issues

Them trying to do this now they're all in middle-age feels a bit cringeworthy, but if it's fun it's fun. The other films did make me hoot a lot

Replies From View

I rewatched some of the first Jackass Movie this morning.  There have always been parts of this set-up that I've hated - all the mean-spirited stuff where they agitate other people for laughs.  The first sketch where they fuck up a car that they've rented, and then leave telling them to fuck off and deal with it themselves (I know they would have paid the company off-camera, but still the situation on-screen is one of agitating people who are just trying to do their jobs and are scared of being fired or whatever), plus one of just gleefully setting off fireworks in the bedroom of a relative who needs a good night's sleep before work, and a sketch of being disguised as an old man and stealing stuff, aggravating the people trying to run the shop.

That's about as much as I saw before stopping.  There's still a lot to enjoy (the 'old men' do some lovely things like rattling down stairs in their mobility scooters) but these mean-spirited moments really turn it for me into something overly unpleasant to watch (if not unwatchable).  Adam Buxton recalled a similar disgust with the parts of Adam and Joe C4 show where they'd stand in a shop drinking the 10% free bit of a Ribena or smashing vases, distressing the people who worked there.  Yeah I'm sure they'd pay the small family-owned businesses money afterwards but it doesn't make up for it in my view.  Call me a snowflake or whatever but it's an ugly kind of humour to laugh at distress.

Greg Torso

The scene where they're annoying golfers with an air horn is really funny. Agree about the stuff in shops though. Loads of terrible shit in that first film where they go to Japan (where obviously no one is going to beat the shit out of them for skating down an escalator in a shopping centre).

Like a lot of people of a certain age I have a huge nostalgia for Jackass, but no desire really to revisit it. It was funny when I was 20 and could tolerate watching idiots puncturing each other's testicles while Sum 41 played in the background, or seeing a fat man vomit eight pints of milk in a children's playground. But we've all got the internet now and you can go and watch videos of twats being twats whenever you like

Bam Margera's whole 'thing' was just him beating the shit out of his dad wasn't it? I liked the bit in one of the films when he starts crying after the others put a snake in his trailer.

Also, really couldn't stomach any of the pissing/shitting/puking and eating it stuff.

peanutbutter

yeah Bam was probably told to leave, he's been an absolute mess ever since he was on Cum Town. He was a mess before that too, but basically the week of that appearance onwards he's been hitting new lows.

Definitely a gamble doing a fourth one when the third with the  3D gimmick was a perfect time to end, far enough away from the original series that it gave people a chance to reassess it all after probably assuming it must've been 100% total shit, but not firmly into middle age territory to feel a bit desperate. Can only be helped by not having Bam around in his current state.
Probably more likely to rewatch the series and the first 3 films again than this one, mind. Maybe even Dirty Grandpa, never saw that.

checkoutgirl

I don't mind Jackass and I think I even saw the third film in the cinema but if I occasionally see a photo of Johnny Knoxville (real name PJ Clapp) I can't help thinking he looks a bit old (50) to be putting jump leads on his testicles and firing rockets out of his arse.

Presumably this film will be the bookend to the whole saga.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 18, 2021, 10:40:08 AMhe left the film, or was told to leave

There's no way he left of his own accord, I'm sure the meltdown was exacerbated by being chucked off the film and being annoyed by it and having nothing to focus on. I think he's an alcoholic who was pushed completely over the edge by Dunn dying.

It's amazing more people aren't dead or alcoholics if you look at the drinking culture surrounding Jackass.

Greg Torso

He was kicked off the film for booze/drugs issues. Jeff Tremaine the director then had to get a restraining order against him after Bam threatened to kill his family.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Margera's main trick seemed to be slapping his friends in the face. He comes across as a cunt.

Replies From View

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 18, 2021, 03:55:37 PM
Margera's main trick seemed to be slapping his friends in the face. He comes across as a cunt.

Yeah, and like Greg Torso said, beating up his dad (one sketch was just him sneaking into the toilet while his dad was having a shit, punching him and then running off with the toilet paper).  And his dad complaining that Bam was starting to lose his grip on reality, which seems in retrospect to have been not too far off the mark.

I never saw him taking part in anything that might hurt him, other than risk getting punched back.  A kind of cowardly contribution to Jackass, and not one that'll be missed.

Custard

The last I saw, Bam was on YouTube saying he's too extreme for Jackass anyway, and was asking fans to fund him to do his own version of the film. But, erm, with just him

He looks really bad, and kept crying. His YouTube channel shows a clearly mentally unwell man. Hope someone is looking out for him

sovietrussia

Thought this lot had fucked off, wish they had TBH.

Gulftastic

I still think the giant shopping trolley ride is one of the greatest movie openings of all time.

Custard

True, but I think I prefer the second film's bull chase sequence
https://youtu.be/7wSQMwlqy0s

madhair60

i fucking love jackass

Quote from: Replies From View on July 18, 2021, 04:07:16 PMI never saw him taking part in anything that might hurt him

he did loads

peanutbutter

My main memory of Bam was that he seemed to be omnipresent on the show. If he wasn't doing a stunt himself it'd be a virtual guarantee he'd be one of the 2-3 guys around watching one of the others do something. Can see how that'd come across as him never doing anything himself.

So many great Jackass moments.

The air horn golf skit

The giant hand high five is still hilarious

The opening of I think the second film where there is a message posted on the wall of a hotel hallway and a boxing glove comes out as they try to get close to read the increasingly small writing!

All the intros to the films are superbly shot and this closing one from number two.

https://youtu.be/FBZ3zkzz_Z4

Johnny Textface

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 18, 2021, 02:50:41 PM
I don't mind Jackass and I think I even saw the third film in the cinema but if I occasionally see a photo of Johnny Knoxville (real name PJ Clapp) I can't help thinking he looks a bit old (50) to be putting jump leads on his testicles and firing rockets out of his arse.

Got to pay the bills! Haha I had no idea that was his real name.

Custard

I last saw Johnny Knoxville as a talking head on the Evel Knievel documentary (dunno if it's still on iPlayer or not, but it was very good). He looked about 57

Lord Mandrake

Who would have predicted Steve-O would end up as the most together. Best selling author, growing podcast with some interesting guests, a burgeoning stand up career merch, skateboards etc.. Years sober and beaten a sex addiction aswell.

Replies From View

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 18, 2021, 02:50:41 PM

Wikipedia says

QuoteIn a 2018 interview, Johnny Knoxville said that he is open to making a fourth Jackass film that may feature some new cast members, "just to bring in some fresh blood into it."

So it's possible that this will act as a springboard for a new generation of pranksters using the Jackass IP, rather than serving us only the breaking bones of men in their 40s and 50s.

Replies From View

Watching the second film now.  20 minutes in, and it's already so much better for not having the Trigger Happy TV stuff.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on July 18, 2021, 10:22:20 PM
So it's possible that this will act as a springboard for a new generation of pranksters using the Jackass IP, rather than serving us only the breaking bones of men in their 40s and 50s.

Knoxville was a founding member of Jackbum so he seems to be the executive producer type, always working behind the scenes as well as in front of the camera so getting fresh blood makes sense from a keeping the franchise going perspective.

Two things that don't make sense is as said above the uniqueness of Jackarse is diluted by a million copies on the internet. Also Knoxville was by far the most successful of the gang in feature films making a John Waters film, a remake of Dukes of Hazzard etc.

However his film work from the last 7 or 8 years is a decidedly mixed bag and that's being generous so maybe he got a really nice financial offer and the opportunity to bully Eren McGeehy for a month might have sealed the deal.

Noodle Lizard

Too depressing. Between what happened to Dunn and, more recently, Margera, they should really have left it alone I think. It's tough enough watching a sober, more reflective Steve-O do "stand-up" where he basically just resorts to self-harm on stage because he knows that's all people want from him.

On the other hand, I do appreciate their disdain for the new generation of YouTube pranksters, and I'm curious to see what they'll do with an older and wiser version of themselves in this day and age.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 18, 2021, 01:53:31 PM
Loads of terrible shit in that first film where they go to Japan (where obviously no one is going to beat the shit out of them for skating down an escalator in a shopping centre).

The worst thing about that sequence was that they were all dressed as pandas, I suspect not because they were making an ironic statement on the ignorance of racism, but because they genuinely didn't realise the difference between Japan and China.

Greg Torso

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 19, 2021, 01:37:59 PM
The worst thing about that sequence was that they were all dressed as pandas, I suspect not because they were making an ironic statement on the ignorance of racism, but because they genuinely didn't realise the difference between Japan and China.

They're also walking around banging a fucking gong. It sucks.

Lord Mandrake

What sets them apart from the copycats is the camaraderie but also most of them are trained professionals and some of what they do requires more than just desperate attention seeking behaviour, which Steve-O is self aware enough to admit to. Bam was an elite skateboarder and Knoxville a stuntman, Steve-O a trained clown.

Replies From View

Jackass might be unique in that every member of its cast reminds me of someone I have met or known in real life.  Does anyone know what I mean?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 19, 2021, 05:40:22 PM
What sets them apart from the copycats is the camaraderie but also most of them are trained professionals and some of what they do requires more than just desperate attention seeking behaviour, which Steve-O is self aware enough to admit to. Bam was an elite skateboarder and Knoxville a stuntman, Steve-O a trained clown.

I don't think Knoxville was a stuntman, was he? At least not professionally. I think at the time he and Tremaine got together he was a down-on-his luck film extra. But yeah, most of the others seemed to come from the skating world or from producing their own videos.