Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jackass Forever

Started by Psychotic Mongoose, July 18, 2021, 10:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
From what I remember the CKY skate videos pre-dated Jackass and were where people first saw Bam, Dunn and a few of other Jackass cast. They were tangentially skate videos but everyone I know bought them because of all the stunts and pranks (albeit much lower budget), so I can see why Bam would be even more pissed off.

Famous Mortimer

Knoxville was a journalist at a skating magazine, if memory serves, and got his start doing dumb stunts for their videos. I could look this up, but it's nice to use my memory every now and again.

Custard

I always thought Knoxville was a not very successful actor, who somehow became the figurehead for Jackass. Maybe cos he was the best looking, or the most eloquent, and could jump through windows too. So all this history is interesting

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 19, 2021, 06:58:45 PM
I don't think Knoxville was a stuntman, was he? At least not professionally. I think at the time he and Tremaine got together he was a down-on-his luck film extra. But yeah, most of the others seemed to come from the skating world or from producing their own videos.

Yeah perhaps not professionally at the time but destined for it. I just think there's more legitimacy to what they do than they sometimes get credit and it was massively influential on the culture, for good or ill. Still imitated but rarely equalled. Not sure if Spike Jonze is involved in this new one but he was a big part of jackass creation and success although I never liked his old lady.... bits.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 19, 2021, 07:40:22 PM
Knoxville was a journalist at a skating magazine, if memory serves, and got his start doing dumb stunts for their videos. I could look this up, but it's nice to use my memory every now and again.

Big Brother magazine, which I think Tremaine ran. I think his first pieces were testing self-defence equipment, he used a tazer and pepper spray on himself.

Johnny Textface

I remember Knoxville getting tazered in a skate film that a mate had. I think that predated Jackass. Pretty sure it was Spike Jones that became a catalyst for its success.

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on July 18, 2021, 04:07:16 PM
Yeah, and like Greg Torso said, beating up his dad (one sketch was just him sneaking into the toilet while his dad was having a shit, punching him and then running off with the toilet paper).  And his dad complaining that Bam was starting to lose his grip on reality, which seems in retrospect to have been not too far off the mark.

I never saw him taking part in anything that might hurt him, other than risk getting punched back.  A kind of cowardly contribution to Jackass, and not one that'll be missed.

Having watched not only the first movie but the second, 2.5 and the first half of the 3rd, I just wanted to say I take this back.  Bam does contribute a lot.  Somehow I'd never seen anything after the first movie until now.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Knoxville shot himself with a .38 too (while wearing a bulletproof vest).

Greg Torso

I really want to watch all of this jackass again

BeardFaceMan

Didn't they use footage from the CKY videos in the Jackass TV series? I seem to remember stuff like Bam climbing though someones open car window into their car as being from the CKY vids. Bam always stood out to me, as part of the charm of Jackass is that they do seem like a very likeable bunch of friends, apart from Bam who came across as a spoiled prick and treated his friends like shit right from the start.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Replies From View on July 18, 2021, 04:07:16 PM
Yeah, and like Greg Torso said, beating up his dad (one sketch was just him sneaking into the toilet while his dad was having a shit, punching him and then running off with the toilet paper).  And his dad complaining that Bam was starting to lose his grip on reality, which seems in retrospect to have been not too far off the mark.

I never saw him taking part in anything that might hurt him, other than risk getting punched back.  A kind of cowardly contribution to Jackass, and not one that'll be missed.

Hopefully Bam's son will carry on this family tradition by beating up his fat Dad on the toilet.

Noodle Lizard

I'm still not quite sure what to make of Bam. On the one hand, at present, he's obviously quite ill with ... something or other. Whether it's booze/drugs, a personality disorder or a combination of all of them, it's really quite distressing to see.

On the other hand, he's always come across as a megalomaniacal prick. Even when I was an impressionable teenager, I never liked much of the stuff he did on his own - it often felt like his hangers-on were paid (and his family had little choice but) to be put through the wringer by this sneering manchild - and I always found him remarkably wimpy on Jackass. Happy to dish it out, but literally crying about it when it came back his way.  Either way, it's not too difficult to imagine those qualities evolving into the state he's in now when combined with addiction and failing relatioinships/careers. Of course the death of Ryan Dunn didn't help matters, but I think I understand the frustration of the other Jackasses when he's using that as an excuse not to get his act together ten years later.

Incidentally, apparently they've added a couple of "core cast members" for this one, which seems like an odd choice given it'll be the last, but there you go. They probably needed some younger bodies to handle the wreckage, to be fair.

checkoutgirl

The only one I ever thought would be good to go for a pint with would be Preston Lacey and maybe Jason Acuna i.e the big lad and the little fella. Perhaps because they seemed more humble, possibly because they were different.

The rest seem kind of unbearable to be around and the stunts themselves would be my more interesting to me than the personalities.

People say Steve O is nice but those people never had to live in the same building as him when he was snorting cocaine with AIDS blood in it and smashing apartment walls to pieces.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 20, 2021, 01:07:42 AMPeople say Steve O is nice but those people never had to live in the same building as him when he was snorting cocaine with AIDS blood in it and smashing apartment walls to pieces.

To be fair he's been sober for a long time now, and I've never heard a bad word said about him from anyone who's met him. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find him more entertaining when he was fucked off his head, though, there's something a bit bleak about him now that I can't quite put my finger on. I think the last thing I remember seeing was him cooking with Gordon Ramsay and pouring hot sauce into his eye. I can't imagine how miserable it must be to have (presumably) had a complete turnaround in becoming sober, but still feeling the need to be the fool you established yourself as whilst young and wild because that's where your bread is buttered. At least the less notorious ones can go about their lives in relative obscurity, regardless of what's happening in their personal lives.

Replies From View

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 20, 2021, 01:45:13 AM
I can't imagine how miserable it must be to have (presumably) had a complete turnaround in becoming sober, but still feeling the need to be the fool you established yourself as whilst young and wild because that's where your bread is buttered.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 20, 2021, 01:45:13 AM
I can't imagine how miserable it must be to have (presumably) had a complete turnaround in becoming sober, but still feeling the need to be the fool you established yourself as whilst young and wild because that's where your bread is buttered. At least the less notorious ones can go about their lives in relative obscurity, regardless of what's happening in their personal lives.

That's the thing though, he doesn't find it miserable in the slightest, he loves that shit. Same with Knoxville, you hear him talk about the pain and injuries and why does he do it when he has enough money, and he'll tell you, he's doing it because he still really enjoys doing it. Mentalists.

buzby

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 20, 2021, 07:15:15 AM
That's the thing though, he doesn't find it miserable in the slightest, he loves that shit. Same with Knoxville, you hear him talk about the pain and injuries and why does he do it when he has enough money, and he'll tell you, he's doing it because he still really enjoys doing it. Mentalists Masochists.

Lord Mandrake

Steve-O shouldn't be alive or functioning in society let alone thriving and apparently no sign of even attempted cancellation considering his truly prolific drug misuse. His early family life detailed in his autobiography explains a lot about him. It's worth a read and after a shaky start where he had a tendancy to make it all about him - his pod is alright, Tom Green, Method Man, Mark Cuban, Post Malone and Eric Andre being notable guests.

Replies From View

Speaking of cancellation, John Barrowman and Noel Clarke would have been fine if they'd been on the Jackass team instead of Doctor Who.  Wander up to someone with your cock out, piss on them and film the reaction.  Timeless gold.

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on July 20, 2021, 01:17:51 PM
Speaking of cancellation, John Barrowman and Noel Clarke would have been fine if they'd been on the Jackass team instead of Doctor Who.  Wander up to someone with your cock out, piss on them and film the reaction.  Timeless gold.

this equivalence, seems false

Lord Mandrake

I think for the most part they only did awful things to each other, and Bams parents. The street stuff would've required waivers/permission. Sure they were culturally insensitive and their geography as noted previously was as ignorant as the average American but they were rarely mean spirited.

Custard

It was a bit bizarre when Steve-O came over to England about ten years ago to be on Dancing With Ice or whatever the fuck, and ended up having a relationship with Stacey Solomon

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 20, 2021, 05:06:35 PM
It was a bit bizarre when Steve-O came over to England about ten years ago to be on Dancing With Ice or whatever the fuck, and ended up having a relationship with Stacey Solomon

"Hi, I'm Steve-O and this is Dancing on Ice with Fire Crackers Up My Ass"

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on July 20, 2021, 01:51:53 PM
this equivalence, seems false

Alright, Keith Allen and Chris Evans then

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Replies From View on July 19, 2021, 06:45:07 PM
Jackass might be unique in that every member of its cast reminds me of someone I have met or known in real life.  Does anyone know what I mean?

How's the recovery working out, Bam?

Very annoying how many British people call it "jackarse" without any irony.

Arse and ass are different words.

Gulftastic

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Replies From View on July 18, 2021, 01:36:28 PM
I rewatched some of the first Jackass Movie this morning.  There have always been parts of this set-up that I've hated - all the mean-spirited stuff where they agitate other people for laughs.  The first sketch where they fuck up a car that they've rented, and then leave telling them to fuck off and deal with it themselves (I know they would have paid the company off-camera, but still the situation on-screen is one of agitating people who are just trying to do their jobs and are scared of being fired or whatever)
I see your point about this, but it's very very funny when he comes back with this car just absolutely smashed to fuck beyond recognition and Knoxville just tells them he 'hit a dog'