Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Des of CITV's Diggit fame and other TV presenters who disappeared

Started by The Lurker, July 18, 2021, 06:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on July 18, 2021, 10:36:33 PM
There's the frankly unGoogleable David Copperfield who was in Three Of A Kind with Tracey Ullman and Lenny Henry. He totally shat the bed when choosing a stage name, there; not that I'm suggesting it was the sole reason to do with his lack of subsequent success.

Surprised they can do that.  Equity doesn't allow it with actors.

Small Man Big Horse

I used to have a minor crush on Zoe Salmon, she was well after my time Blue Peter presenter wise but there was a minor fuss about her being brought in to sex up the programme and, well, yep, she definitely did do that. Seems to have all but disappeared now however, was on Pointless Celebrities in 2015 according to wikipedia but that's the only tv appearance in the past nine years, though her twitter feed suggests she's heavily involved with the Duke of Edinburgh (the youth scheme thing, not the dead old man).

monkfromhavana

Simon Parkin doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry.

There are a few Blue Peter presenters who have disappeared from the screen. Romana D'Annunzio and Stuart Miles being the main two from my era.

sevendaughters

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 19, 2021, 06:34:37 PM

There are a few Blue Peter presenters who have disappeared from the screen. Romana D'Annunzio and Stuart Miles being the main two from my era.

Stuart Miles is in radio these days. He also does some Men's Health things.

sevendaughters

if anyone can tell me what happened to most of the Videators from GamesWorld I'd be happy.

pigamus

willbo

is one of those Stuart Miles photos meant to look healthy?

Kelvin

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 19, 2021, 06:37:32 PM
Stuart Miles is in radio these days. He also does some Men's Health things.

He looks like he's been chained to a radiator for six months in that second one.

BritishHobo

Blimey, not thought about Des in a long time, but he and Fearne Cotton on Diggit were huge for me and my brother when we were young. That was my big Saturday morning routine for several years. We were obsessed. It's funny how something can have a really massive impact on you, and then go totally forgotten. Lost in the recesses of my memory.

I know it's been discussed here before with regard to other celebrities (forgotten who, ironically), but there's always something very desolation-y about articles like this, where the subject's former celebrity goes completely unnoticed:

Man admits killing two people by dangerous driving

ProvanFan

stonkers

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 19, 2021, 11:47:53 AM
Violet Berlin from Bad Influence! (and thus an icon to millions of boys who played video games) apparently now works designing interactive experiences for museums and tourist attractions. She's married to Gaz Top/Gareth Jones, who does motoring podcasts and a bit of TV. Her former colleague Andy Crane is apparently doing very obscure radio presenting.

A GamesMaster podcast recently tried to get Andy Crane on for a Bad Influence episode and he apparently claimed to have no memory of it.

DrGreggles

Andy Crane was a Virgin Atlantic 'DJ' a couple of years ago.

I once saw him fall down the stairs.

touchingcloth

Famous Mortimer

mippy

Shit Good Nose

RE Simon Parkin - he used to be a presenter on HTV West and that studio was just down the road from where I used to live in Bristol, Brislington.  Anyway, right opposite HTV Studio was a Burger King (well, is a Burger King - the BK is still there but HTV is long gone) and I once got a burger from there and was taking it back to my car when who should be walking into the car park?  None other than yer man Parkin, probably grabbing a lovely healthy BK salad and purple Fruit Shoot for lunch.  There was also a woman walking through and she confidently strode up to him and I, and I have a VERY strong suspicion he as well going by the pleased look on his face, assumed that she was going to ask for him for his autograph.  No, she was just asking for directions (she even pulled out a map).  You know that bit in the Simpsons where we keep watching little Ralphie's heart break on that video?  I swear the same thing happened with Parkin at that moment.

Last time I saw Parkin he was hosting ITV Meridian weather.

Andy Crane currently works for Greatest Hits Radio as part of a lineup I'd describe as "respectable" and "turn of the 90s Radio 1".

https://planetradio.co.uk/greatest-hits/presenters/

Magnum Valentino

Used to like seeing Emily Booth pop up on shitty documentaries on the lesser Sky channels after a brief flirtation with proper presenting on Channel 4 on Bits (or was it Vidz?)

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 20, 2021, 05:08:34 AM
Last time I saw Parkin he was hosting ITV Meridian weather.

Andy Crane currently works for Greatest Hits Radio as part of a lineup I'd describe as "respectable" and "turn of the 90s Radio 1".

https://planetradio.co.uk/greatest-hits/presenters/

Didn't Any Crane present the news in Manchester's local BBC station (North-West Tonight or something). Speaking of 'Bad Influence' (That I actually watched not long ago), what happened to Violet Berlin?

willbo

Dave Perry from Gamesmaster (the guy with the bandana who had a meltdown when they made him play Mario 64 for the first time live) tried to start a youtube a year or so ago, and it was blasted for featuring bikini girls

Jockice

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 19, 2021, 06:34:37 PM

Simon Sodding Parkin. One of my lookalikes apparently. Based totally on the fact we both have red hair. And then there was Mark Sodding Curry too. And Chris Sodding Evans of course.

I was much too old to watch Blue Peter when he was on it, but I remember intensely disliking Stuart Miles, mainly because his face annoyed me. And this hate was increased when I heard from two separate people who didn't know each other that he'd sworn at a little kid who'd asked for his autograph on a location shoot when the cameras weren't on him (note to lawyers: this may just be an urban myth.)

There was someone who did work experience at the paper I was at who then - through sheer pushiness, not any innate talent - ended up doing a 'hey kids' type column there and went on to be a mid-ranking children's TV presenter for a while. I've totally forgotten his name though, which actually pleases me greatly.

buzby

Quote from: Replies From View on July 19, 2021, 05:24:36 PM
Surprised they can do that.  Equity doesn't allow it with actors.
The comedian Stan Barlow used the name first - He's 9 years older than the 'illusionist' David Seth Kotkin. Kotkin started using the name in 1974, when he got his first stage acting role aged 18. Stan Barlow was already established as a singer and comedian in the UK under that name by that time (he released a single in 1972 and made his TV debut on The Wheeltappers and Shunters Club on 03/08/74).

As well as guest spots on various comedy/variety/gameshows, Barlow did have two subsequent series after Three Of A Kind - series 4 of the CBBC variety show Lift Off in 1987 (as Lift Off with Coppers & Co) which then led to a spin-off CBBC series Coppers & Co which ran for 2 series in 1988 and 1990. After that he established himself on the cruise ship circuit as 'David Copperfield – Not the Magician', and in a 2016 interview with Radio times about the return of Tracey Ullman to UK TV, he described himself as being retired.

buzby

Quote from: mippy on July 19, 2021, 11:15:26 PM
Lowri Turner seems to have vanished.
Still a regular panelist on daytime tv, most notably Jeremy Vine and it's precedecessor The Wright Stuff. She's an alternative medicine practitioner (she has some diploma in 'nutritional therapy') and anti-medical science nutter (she says she's not an anti-vaxxer, but looks like a duck, sounds like a duck etc.)

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 20, 2021, 08:18:39 AM
Didn't Any Crane present the news in Manchester's local BBC station (North-West Tonight or something). Speaking of 'Bad Influence' (That I actually watched not long ago), what happened to Violet Berlin?
He worked for 6 years as a news anchor on the Manchester local cable TV station Channel M between 2004 and 2010. Your Violet Berlin question was answered earlier in the thread.

Jasha

Quote from: buzby on July 20, 2021, 09:07:17 AM
After that he established himself on the cruise ship circuit as 'David Copperfield – Not the Magician'

Made me laugh

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 20, 2021, 06:52:39 AM
Used to like seeing Emily Booth pop up on shitty documentaries on the lesser Sky channels after a brief flirtation with proper presenting on Channel 4 on Bits (or was it Vidz?)

I sort of met Booth back in 2016 when she was at the Camden Film Fair, which sounds more exciting that it was, as it's largely about 30 stalls of memorabilia and then a couple of vaguely known actors. I only went as David Warner was supposed to be present but turned up in the afternoon to find out he'd buggered off after a couple of hours in the morning and I can't imagine Booth made a lot of money selling autographs either, perhaps it was busier when it first opened but by the afternoon there were no queues, and one fan was chatting to her for about ten minutes without buying an autograph / any of the racy A4 pictures she was selling.

paruses

Andrea Boardman - huge crush for 14 year old me. Just looked her up and last Wikipedia mention is 2011. Daughter, of course, of Stan Boardman.

buzby

Quote from: paruses on July 20, 2021, 10:31:02 AM
Andrea Boardman - huge crush for 14 year old me. Just looked her up and last Wikipedia mention is 2011. Daughter, of course, of Stan Boardman.
She works for the baby goods brand Joie as partnership manager for their sponsorship of Liverpool FC. She's also manages her dad.

jobotic

Where's Lisa Rogers these days?

She's my main TV crush, although i never really watched much with her in it to be honest, apart from the Big Breakfast years and years ago.

I expect she's living a pleasant life with her family and its none of my business

paruses

Quote from: jobotic on July 20, 2021, 12:16:11 PM
Where's Lisa Rogers these days?

She's my main TV crush, although i never really watched much with her in it to be honest, apart from the Big Breakfast years and years ago.

I expect she's living a pleasant life with her family and its none of my business

I think she won Welsh learner of the year or something a few years back. Might be more than a few. But apart from that yes - I thought she was living her life without being hassled by the likes of me you.

mothman

Of course, we're ignoring the elephant in the room here - that all these presenters of yesteryear are better off remaining fond childhood memories, as opposed to going the full Yewtree or becoming outspoken rabid antivaxxers.