Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Des of CITV's Diggit fame and other TV presenters who disappeared

Started by The Lurker, July 18, 2021, 06:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: mippy on July 19, 2021, 11:15:26 PM
Lowri Turner seems to have vanished.

nah I saw her on some daytime tripe the other day, Vine I think, she's a mad auld fuck now

St_Eddie

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 20, 2021, 06:52:39 AM
Used to like seeing Emily Booth pop up on shitty documentaries on the lesser Sky channels after a brief flirtation with proper presenting on Channel 4 on Bits (or was it Vidz?)

Emily Booth acts in ultra low budget, straight-to-DVD British horror films these days, with titles such as Shed of the Dead.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 20, 2021, 10:29:04 AM
I sort of met Booth back in 2016 when she was at the Camden Film Fair, which sounds more exciting that it was, as it's largely about 30 stalls of memorabilia and then a couple of vaguely known actors. I only went as David Warner was supposed to be present but turned up in the afternoon to find out he'd buggered off after a couple of hours in the morning and I can't imagine Booth made a lot of money selling autographs either, perhaps it was busier when it first opened but by the afternoon there were no queues, and one fan was chatting to her for about ten minutes without buying an autograph / any of the racy A4 pictures she was selling.

Emily's not so popular Booth.

Keebleman

In 1979 Clive James reviewed a BBC2 yoof programme called Something Else, and was very taken with the host.

QuoteWhat the show needs most is a link-man as original as its content. In the latest episode they have found him. His name is Paul Kenna. He looks about eighteen years old, keeps falling out of cupboards in his pyjamas and talks a stream of surrealist gibberish funny enough to make you hope they'll bring him back.

Presuming that Mr Kenna didn't add a 'Mc' to his name and become a hypnotist, this is the only trace of his existence I have been able to find.

beanheadmcginty

Gaz Top and Violet Berlin are married? Christ, imagine the hair gel bill in their household.
Haven't seen Paul Tonkinson present anything for years.

mothman

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 20, 2021, 02:33:54 PM
Gaz Top and Violet Berlin are married?

For a moment I forgot which thread this was, and read it as some allusion that Anthony Edwards (Goose in Top Gun) and Terri Nunn (violet-streaked blonde singer of Berlin) were married. Now there's a bit of Top Gun trivia I can bore everyone with forever, I thought.

buzby

Gaz Top and Violet Berlin are married? Christ, imagine the hair gel bill in their household.
Gareth 'Top' Jones doesn't exactly have much need for hair gel these days:

That was from 2003, he has even less hair now. Violet looks thrilled to be wherever they are.

Quote from: Keebleman on July 20, 2021, 02:23:25 PM
In 1979 Clive James reviewed a BBC2 yoof programme called Something Else, and was very taken with the host.

Presuming that Mr Kenna didn't add a 'Mc' to his name and become a hypnotist, this is the only trace of his existence I have been able to find.
According to the Genome, that episode was presented by 8 young people from Birmingham. there is a Paul Kenna who is active in community and social enterprise projects in Birmingham, so it's possibly him - he was born in 1959, so would have been 19-20 when that episode was made. His name is all over the now-defunct MEB Community FC website, and he was a director of the MEB Sport & Community Hub (which was formerly the Midlands Electricity Board sports & social club).

touchingcloth

Apparently Violet Berlin was represented in Micro Machines

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 20, 2021, 03:40:38 PM
Apparently Violet Berlin was represented in Micro Machines
That was as a result of a feature they did on the development of the game on Bad Influence IIRC.

turnstyle

Quote from: buzby on July 20, 2021, 03:52:54 PM
That was as a result of a feature they did on the development of the game on Bad Influence IIRC.

Same reason Andi Peters has a line of dialogue in Toy Story[nb]Or maybe it was Toy Story 2??[/nb], which is forever seared into my brain.

'Hold it! There's a couple more bags coming from the terminal'

St_Eddie

Quote from: buzby on July 20, 2021, 03:52:54 PM

Correct, buzby.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: turnstyle on July 20, 2021, 04:06:18 PM
Same reason Andi Peters has a line of dialogue in Toy Story[nb]Or maybe it was Toy Story 2??[/nb], which is forever seared into my brain.

And Sarah Cawood in Finding Nemo. Bet there's loads of these.

monkfromhavana

Jayne Middlemass also kind of disappeared after being everywhere for a spell in the mid-90s.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 20, 2021, 05:08:34 AM
Last time I saw Parkin he was hosting ITV Meridian weather.

Andy Crane currently works for Greatest Hits Radio as part of a lineup I'd describe as "respectable" and "turn of the 90s Radio 1".

https://planetradio.co.uk/greatest-hits/presenters/

He's the harbinger of doom. If he pops up on your local radio station, Bauer Media have taken over and you can kiss goodbye to decent local content. He killed Radio Aire, then The Pulse.

frajer

Quote from: turnstyle on July 20, 2021, 04:06:18 PM

Yeah Toy Story 2. Similarly burned into my brain. Not sure if it was a genuine interaction or fabricated for the show but I always remember, after multiple takes, Peters trying to get Lasseter to tweak the line as "couple more" wasn't a phrase an English person would say. When the actual problem was Peters was saying it like a robot that had just booted up and hadn't yet had a chance to observe human interaction.

paruses

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 20, 2021, 06:44:41 PM
Jayne Middlemass also kind of disappeared after being everywhere for a spell in the mid-90s.

Went off to become (and still is, I believe) a yoga instructor.

dissolute ocelot

There's a lot of info online about all the Blue Peter presenters, almost all of whom are still presenting (or dead). Simon Groom is a sheep farmer, Janet Ellis was shortlisted for the Bad Sex literary award for her first novel, Liz Barker decorates cakes, Romana D'Annunzio reportedly trained as a teacher, and Stuart Miles (who I don't particularly remember) became a drag queen under the boring name Stella Radner. Most desolate, according to the Mirror Joel Defries "now works as an ASOS model".

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 18, 2021, 08:20:56 PM
The once-ubiquitous Carol Smillie is now a humanist celebrant, under her married name Carol Knight.

https://www.facebook.com/CarolKnightHumanistCelebrant/

She is a hatchet faced boot in real life.

Jockice

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on July 21, 2021, 11:25:35 AM
She is a hatchet faced boot in real life.

I interviewed Sarah Greene once. Face to face on a coach for some reason I can't remember. She wasn't very nice. It was a sort of 'sigh, I suppose I have to do this sort of thing but I'd really rather not' attitude from her. Not that I fancied her or anything but I was expecting her to be bubbly like she was on TV. Dani Behr was when I interviewed her,

stonkers

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 20, 2021, 05:08:34 AM
Last time I saw Parkin he was hosting ITV Meridian weather.

Andy Crane currently works for Greatest Hits Radio as part of a lineup I'd describe as "respectable" and "turn of the 90s Radio 1".

https://planetradio.co.uk/greatest-hits/presenters/

That's a motley crew of former CITV presenters. I thought Mark Goodier was dead but I must have been thinking of Kevin Greening, or the Radio 1 Independence Day radio play where Mark Goodier gets blown up by aliens.

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 20, 2021, 07:16:53 PM
He's the harbinger of doom. If he pops up on your local radio station, Bauer Media have taken over and you can kiss goodbye to decent local content. He killed Radio Aire, then The Pulse.

Station's been fucked for years. It was originally Original 106 with an "adult alternative" playlist and Tommy Boyd doing the breakfast show. Good times. Alas, it wouldn't last as Celedor bought it out, they suddenly started playing more and more Queen and Fleetwood Mac, and Boyd got the push. They rebranded it as The Coast, then Jack FM, then Sam FM, watering it down more and more each time to the point where it's all just 80s and 90s pop.

I don't mind GHR. At least it's not pretending to be some firebrand independent station, breaking all the rules and sticking two fingers up at the establishment just because it occasionally plays a bit of Oasis.

Natnar

There was Siobian Maher who was simultaneously children's tv presenter and singer with River City People, and not forgetting Andrea Arnold who went from rollerskating sidekick presenter on Number 73 to award winning & critically acclaimed Film & TV director.

idunnosomename

oh Danielle Nicholls has a twitch channel now.

i certainly had a "twitch" to her on CiTV back in the day, when I was 28 of course

Jockice

Who was that Irish one (I think she was called Emma or Emily?) who did the Saturday morning show on the BBC for a while. I only saw her a couple of times (28 I was. Or possibly 38) but she always looked incredibly uncomfortable. I also remember that before the started the show one of the tabloids printed a picture of her in some scanties smoking a fag. I think I only ever tuned in to see if she'd be wearing scanties and smoking fags during the show.

sprocket

Quote from: Jockice on July 22, 2021, 09:43:10 AM
Who was that Irish one (I think she was called Emma or Emily?) who did the Saturday morning show on the BBC for a while. I only saw her a couple of times (28 I was. Or possibly 38) but she always looked incredibly uncomfortable. I also remember that before the started the show one of the tabloids printed a picture of her in some scanties smoking a fag. I think I only ever tuned in to see if she'd be wearing scanties and smoking fags during the show.

Sounds like Emma Ledden[nb]I hope this seals my bid to become the Buzby of 90's RTÉ children's presenters.[/nb].

Jockice

Quote from: sprocket on July 22, 2021, 10:10:36 AM
Sounds like Emma Ledden[nb]I hope this seals my bid to become the Buzby of 90's RTÉ children's presenters.[/nb].

That's the one!

buzby

Quote from: Natnar on July 22, 2021, 12:42:47 AM
There was Siobian Maher who was simultaneously children's tv presenter and singer with River City People
From the TOTP thread...
Quote from: buzby on January 29, 2021, 10:22:44 PM
River City People, as their name may infer, hailed from Liverpool. The lineup consisted of Siobhan Maher on vocals, her partner (and later briefly her husband) Dave Snell on bass, and brothers Paul and Tim Speed on drums and guitar. they had been in various bands in the city in over the mid-to-late 80s, but anybody from Liverpool may recognise the vocalist's surname. She was the daughter of Billy and Philomena Maher, two thirds of the Liverpool folk trio The Jacksons who had some local fame in the late 70s-early 80s and had appeared in and performed the soundtrack for the Albert Finney film Gumshoe, which was set in Liverpool. They were favourites of Radio Merseyside DJs like Billy Butler and Monty Lister (Billy Maher was a regular guest on Monty Lister's sunday morning show Tune Tonic, and would later be given a show of his own).

As well as singing, Siobhan had also tried her hand at acting and had a minor role in the Brookside spinoff miniseries Damon and Debbie in 1987. The same year she got a job as a researcher at BBC Pebble Mill and while there did some live links for Children In Need. This brought her to the attention of the Childrens Dept at TV Centre and she was made a presenter on the BBC summer holiday morning show But First This!, alongside Anthea turner, and also a stint as comic relief on The Clothes Show (as the character 'Phidelma'). This continued the following year, but then the band were signed by EMI so she gave up her TV career to pursue music.

The band's first single (What's Wrong With) Dreaming? was released in July 1989 but only reached #70. The next single Walking On Ice was released in March 1990 and did slightly better, reaching #62. Presumably that was when the decision mas made to try a cover (which did not appear on the Say something Good album, which was already in the can by then). Maher was given an interview with Andy Crane to promote the single, and when the single entered the Top 40 the band were asked to TOTP, with her old But First This! colleague presenting and other ex-colleagues like Phillip Scofield (and his wife) present for the recording. The band were also asked to perform the single on CBBC's proto Later... What's That Noise?  I'm sure all of this was completely coincidental, add there was not a hint of nepotism or an old colleague being given a leg up.

The band would have 2 further Top 40 singles - the follow-up to this, a re-release of (What's Wrong With) Dreaming? in September reached #40, and in February 1991 Standing In The Need Of Love from their second album This Is The World reached #35. The band disbanded shortly afterwards, Maher and Snell divorced and she moved to Nashville and formed Kindred Spirit with ex-Bangle Debbi Peterson. She also did some backing vocal session work and later married Nashville-based country singer and producer Ray Kennedy.

pigamus

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 20, 2021, 06:44:41 PM

Speaking of nineties presenters I used to fancy, what does Lisa Rogers do now?