Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:40:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids of pop stars becoming pop stars

Started by turnstyle, July 19, 2021, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Any examples of the good ones?

I noticed that Bono's son's band released an album that went straight to the number one slot (ooh missus etc), and it got me thinking.

We're far enough away from Britpop now that there is likely sprogs of 90s indie bands picking up guitars and donning their mum's and dad's Kangol bucket hats. Are we in for Britpop 2, The New Batch? I think Liam Gallagher has about 37 kids, so presumably he could spawn about 12 bands, or one Polyphonic Spree.

For the record, I am vehemently against Britpop 2.

As for good ones, first one that came to my mind was Jeff Buckley. Please share your own. Maybe the Wallflowers changed your life, or you think Julian and/or Sean Lennon seem like a great bunch of lads.

The Culture Bunker

The Wallflowers were absolutely massive in the States for a year or two in the 90s. I've never heard a note of their music, though, so can't confirm whether good or bad - one of those numerous American bands that have close to zero impact here.

phantom_power

Someone posted a link to the band Lennon Gallagher was in the other week and that was surprisingly not shit

Sean Lennon's first album was pretty decent

Alvin Stardust's son very successfully made some amazing D&B in the mid 90's as Adam F and scored four top 40 tracks.

Key

I saw that article about Bono's lad and his mates, all in their leather jackets, not looking at the camera in an old garage somewhere. And Bono's lad was saying they had paid their dues, just like a regular band, theyd played loads of small gigs in like terrible pubs, and just worked their way up the rock n roll ladder, authentically, like any other band might have done. So fair play to the lad.

mrClaypole

I saw Paul Simons son play a tiny pub in Birmingham.
Also Paul McCartneys son James played a different small pub in Birmingham.
I'm sure that most people who attend these gigs are only really going so that they can be in the same room as someone who shares DNA with someone much more famous.

Kankurette

The Like are pretty good. Pete Thomas' daughter plays drums and Mitchell Froom's daughter is the bassist.

Always loved Alisha's Attic as well.

El Unicornio, mang

Billy Ray Cyrus - Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus

checkoutgirl

Quote from: mrClaypole on July 19, 2021, 12:27:40 PM
I'm sure that most people who attend these gigs are only really going so that they can be in the same room as someone who shares DNA with someone much more famous.

Oh yeah. I'd respect Stella McCartney as a fashion designer, as much as that's actually possible, if she dropped the McCartney bit and tried something without megastar daddy's name recognition.

Is Ziggy Marley any good?

Sometimes it's actually very amusing how short a distance the apple falls from the tree, Kasper Schmeichel being my current favourite.

Kankurette

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 19, 2021, 01:05:31 PM
Oh yeah. I'd respect Stella McCartney as a fashion designer, as much as that's actually possible, if she dropped the McCartney bit and tried something without megastar daddy's name recognition.

Is Ziggy Marley any good?

Sometimes it's actually very amusing how short a distance the apple falls from the tree, Kasper Schmeichel being my current favourite.
Kasper Schmeichel and Frank Lampard are the second comings of their dads. Unlike poor old Jordi Cruyff.

Neomod

Inara George, daughter of Little Feat's Lowell George and a member of The Bird and The Bee. Very good they are too.

Brundle-Fly

mrClaypole

I saw the Bad Shepherd's live and they were supported by Ades daughter (I can't remember which one.  The folk singer one). She made a comment between songs about needing some money to record a new album.  Someone in the audience shouted "can't you ask Mummy and Daddy?". To her credit she shrugged it off.

mrClaypole

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 19, 2021, 01:16:55 PM
Reasons To Be Cheerful Pt 3 - Pt 2

I forgot about Baxter.  I've enjoyed his albums but haven't listened in awhile.

mrClaypole

Suggs from Madness daughters made a bid for pop stardom to the point that they were given a slot on the 2nd stage at one of the Madstock gigs.  They weren't great but thankfully gave up on the idea

Pauline Walnuts

The bass player of  https://youtu.be/7evmISar5DA Daughter of Shirley Temple. She went on to be in the Melvins. I think.

Daughter of Bruce Lee singing on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4VzY_arUqQ

The bass player of Forum favs. Black Country, New Road is the daughter of Karl Hyde of The Underworlds.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Kankurette on July 19, 2021, 12:53:05 PMAlways loved Alisha's Attic as well.
On a similar note, the sisters who fronted Voice of the Beehive's old man was in the Four Preps, who also featured Glen Larson in the line-up, prior to him inventing Knight Rider and numerous other TV shows.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mrClaypole on July 19, 2021, 01:20:50 PM
Suggs from Madness daughters made a bid for pop stardom to the point that they were given a slot on the 2nd stage at one of the Madstock gigs.  They weren't great but thankfully gave up on the idea

RE Madness. Not a popstar but saxophonist, El Thommo's son Daley. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree - in full effect. Just as nutty as his old man.

DrGreggles

"Formed in Tito Jackson's bollocks..."

mrClaypole

Andy Mccluskeys son has his own band

mrClaypole

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 19, 2021, 01:29:23 PM
RE Madness. Not a popstar but saxophonist, El Thommo's son Daley. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree - in full effect. Just as nutty as his old man.

Sometimes featuring his Dad at gigs.  Wasn't the previous incarnation called Like father like son?

The Culture Bunker

Are there many other cases like with the Staple Singers, where parent(s) and child(ren) become pop stars in the same act? I imagine it happens quite a bit with folk and country acts, but any more that had mainstream success? Frank and Nancy Sinatra, I suppose, to an extent...

Neomod

She's the Kid
She's the Kid
She's the Kid
of a Marty Wilde

as is her brother Ricky

scarecrow

Lots of indie types seem to really like The Goon Sax despite the guy from out of the Goon Sax being nowhere near as good as his dad Robert Forster from out of the Go-Betweens.

Neomod

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 19, 2021, 01:37:02 PM
Are there many other cases like with the Staple Singers, where parent(s) and child(ren) become pop stars in the same act? I imagine it happens quite a bit with folk and country acts, but any more that had mainstream success? Frank and Nancy Sinatra, I suppose, to an extent...

The Cowsills!

L to R John (Now a Beach Boy), Susan, Paul, mum Barbara, Bob, Barry (R.I.P.) and Bill (R.I.P.)

Icehaven

I half watched one of those 5 minute entertainment news shows the other day with a bit about some new singer talking about her latest single, and her surname was Lennox and the voiceover said something about her mum so I'm presuming it was Annie Lennox's daughter. No idea if it was any good though, didn't look like my kind of thing.

checkoutgirl

Does Garee New Mann from The Cars knock about with his daughter these days?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Do Spirit count? Lead guitarist Randy California's stepdad, Ed Cassidy, played drums in the band. Cassidy was 44 (and bald) when the otherwise youthful and hirsute Spirit formed in 1967, which is quite unusual.