Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids of pop stars becoming pop stars

Started by turnstyle, July 19, 2021, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Key on July 19, 2021, 12:24:06 PM
I saw that article about Bono's lad and his mates, all in their leather jackets, not looking at the camera in an old garage somewhere. And Bono's lad was saying they had paid their dues, just like a regular band, theyd played loads of small gigs in like terrible pubs, and just worked their way up the rock n roll ladder, authentically, like any other band might have done. So fair play to the lad.

Disingenuous at best, isnt' it. Anyone who's ever been in a band knows the hardest part of getting anywhere is getting an audience, and if you're the offspring of a huge rock star you're 1000% more likely to have people listen to you in the first place, get decent gigs and have people turn up in significant numbers than if you aren't, even if you don't intentionally play on your connections yourself. He might feel he's ''paid his dues'' but there's considerably more dues to pay than he'll ever know.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 19, 2021, 01:56:45 PM
Does Garee New Mann from The Cars knock about with his daughter these days?
That sort of thing, well established stars having their kids in the band, isn't that uncommon. Crowded House currently have two of Neil Finn's kids in the band, I think Eddie van Halen had his son in the line-up in their later years and I'm pretty sure Johnny Marr's backing band has featured one of his bairns at some point.

Hollie Cook, daughter of the Sex Pistols' drummer Paul Cook, has been around for a few years now doing reggae-ish material. According to Wiki, her mother, Jeni Cook was also a backing singer for Culture Club.

chveik

Brundle-Fly

Norton Canes

Most All of Inhaler's songs sound like rejects from Achtung Baby.

Pauline Walnuts

Moon Unit Zappa's novelty hit.

Which I kinda prefer to most of Zappa Snr. 80s work to be honest.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Matt Bellamy of Muse's dad was in the Tornadoes, the band what done Telstar

Kankurette

Al Jardine's son Matthew sings with Brian Wilson and he's more than capable of pulling off Beach Boys songs.

Zack Starkey's done well for himself as a drummer.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Key on July 19, 2021, 12:24:06 PM
I saw that article about Bono's lad and his mates, all in their leather jackets, not looking at the camera in an old garage somewhere. And Bono's lad was saying they had paid their dues, just like a regular band, theyd played loads of small gigs in like terrible pubs, and just worked their way up the rock n roll ladder, authentically, like any other band might have done. So fair play to the lad.
Not sure I agree with that. I'd rather hear someone pretty clearly owning their privelege than being like "I passed an endurance course that I had full control of the terms of so actually it was just as hard for me as someone whose dad isn't worth hundreds of millions"

Quote from: Kankurette on July 19, 2021, 01:11:42 PM
Kasper Schmeichel and Frank Lampard are the second comings of their dads. Unlike poor old Jordi Cruyff.
At least Jordi got as far as Barcelona, poor Erling Haaland'll probably never make it to Leeds

The Mollusk

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 19, 2021, 01:05:31 PM
I'd respect Stella McCartney as a fashion designer, as much as that's actually possible, if she dropped the McCartney bit and tried something without megastar daddy's name recognition.

Absolutely shitloads of fashion designers use their full names in their branding so I don't think your criticism holds much water at all. It just comes across like you're skirting around your actual thoughts of "I don't like her fashion/I don't like Stella McCartney" or whatever to justify posting about it in this thread.

Brundle-Fly

Even if she changed her name to Edna Boggis, she'd still have the kudos of being Paul McCartney's daughter. I'm no expert but she's clearly very good at what she does. It's not as if James McCartney has rode the crest of a wave in the music biz with his famous moniker.

Mr Banlon

Pyotr Tchaikovsky and Bram Tchaikovsky from The Motors.

purlieu

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 19, 2021, 01:37:02 PM
Are there many other cases like with the Staple Singers, where parent(s) and child(ren) become pop stars in the same act?
Guitarist in the current lineup of the Lightning Seeds is Riley, Ian Broudie's son. 'The Life of Riley' was actually written about him as a baby, which must be an odd one for him to play.

Edgar Froese's son Jerome was a member of Tangerine Dream from 1990-2005, with many of the albums from the period being literally just father and son.

Custard

Sting's daughter, Elliot Sumner was a pretty good pop act called I Blame Coco. Released one excellent album, which even had Robyn on it. Then she changed to her real name, "got serious", and sucked all the life out of her music. Least she didn't call herself Ding or Ping or summat

Custard

One of Leftfield is the dad of Georgia, the pop lady who wallops all the synths

The Mollusk

If the spawn of Sting decided to call themselves Little Prick they would absolutely have my respect no matter what sort of art or whatever they ended up making.

non capisco

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 19, 2021, 05:25:19 PM
Sting's daughter, Elliot Sumner was a pretty good pop act called I Blame Coco. Released one excellent album, which even had Robyn on it. Then she changed to her real name, "got serious", and sucked all the life out of her music. Least she didn't call herself Ding or Ping or summat

Is she the one who was reportedly mortified about her dad making an album with Shaggy? What a joyless nerk. I still maintain if I woke up one morning and read a text from my sister saying "Dad's only gone and made an album with Shaggy" I would not stop laughing for three days at least.

'EAR MI NOW, GERALD!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 19, 2021, 02:03:42 PM
That sort of thing, well established stars having their kids in the band, isn't that uncommon. Crowded House currently have two of Neil Finn's kids in the band, I think Eddie van Halen had his son in the line-up in their later years and I'm pretty sure Johnny Marr's backing band has featured one of his bairns at some point.

Saw the 'Pointer Sisters' at a festival a couple of years back and they're a Gran/Mother/Daughter thing now.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 19, 2021, 07:51:13 PM
Saw the 'Pointer Sisters' at a festival a couple of years back and they're a Gran/Mother/Daughter thing now.
The Brazzers festival ?

There was a "Frank Sinatra Jr" who enjoyed a relatively modest, but still successful, career. Not the guy who thought he was Woody Allen's son for much of his life.

buzby

Jake Bates plays most of the bass parts while his dad Peter Hook is busy 'singing' with his own tribute band. He's also the touring bassist for Smashing Pumpkins (as baldy is a fan of JD/NO and became friends with them). Steve & Gillian's eldest daughter Matilda Morris is the keyboard player in Macclesfield band Grimm Twins (formerly Hot Vestry).

Gary Numan's teenage daughter Persia did some vocals on his Savage album in 2017 (most notably on the single My Name Is Ruin) and toured with her dad to promote it. He joking called her his 'old age pension'.

Custard

Kate Bush's son Bertie has appeared on a few of her more "recent" tracks, and was a big part of her recent live show

I guess he'll fall into the Dhani Harrison/Sean Lennon role one day, of looking after her estate. I like to think he'll stick his vocoder'ed vocals over everything and say that that's what she would have wanted

Whitney Houston, daughter of Cissy, which leads me to ask if she's the only case of the parent outliving the child?

SteveDave

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 19, 2021, 04:59:38 PM
It's not as if James McCartney has rode the crest of a wave in the music biz with his famous moniker.

Any opportunity to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrZv0_eOBM

TheMonk

Head Gardener

kids of stars supergroup - Carnie and Wendy Wilson, the daughters of Brian Wilson and Chynna Phillips, the daughter of John and Michelle Phillips of the Mamas & the Papas.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 20, 2021, 11:51:59 AM
Kate Bush's son Bertie has appeared on a few of her more "recent" tracks, and was a big part of her recent live show

I found his song was hard not to shuffle around my seat to when he was playing with Kate on those live shows

Catalogue Trousers

But is that a good or a bad thing? Were you shuffling because the beat was just so infectious, or out or boredom/embarrassment?

QuoteIs Ziggy Marley any good?

His theme song from the kids' cartoon Arthur has got a certain catchy charm.