Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids of pop stars becoming pop stars

Started by turnstyle, July 19, 2021, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think I read something a few years ago about the children of various NWA members forming a new rap collective together.

EDIT: It was this: https://www.vice.com/en/article/68ape3/the-sons-of-dr-dre-and-eazy-e-are-going-on-tour-as-nwa

Don't think it got very far, as all the articles about them are at least five years old.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 20, 2021, 02:32:22 PM
I think I read something a few years ago about the children of various NWA members forming a new rap collective together.

Oh yeah Ice Cube's son played Ice Cube in Straight Outta Compton as well.

Custard

Quote from: non capisco on July 19, 2021, 07:41:57 PM
Is she the one who was reportedly mortified about her dad making an album with Shaggy? What a joyless nerk. I still maintain if I woke up one morning and read a text from my sister saying "Dad's only gone and made an album with Shaggy" I would not stop laughing for three days at least.

'EAR MI NOW, GERALD!

Ha, exactly. It'd be brilliant

And yes, that's probably her. She doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humour. Tantric baby, you see

Natnar

Sam Brown, one of the few cases of the offspring being better than the parent?

LORD BAD VIBE

Jason Bonham is a drummer like his dad was and deputized for him when Zeppelin played that big reunion gig at the 02 years ago. Daughter Zoe has also done some singer/songwriter stuff.

JaDanketies

Country music icon Hank Williams' son is also a country musician called Hank Williams II, and his son is a metal-infused 'outlaw country' musician (that I'm a big fan of) called Hank Williams III.

Hank Williams' progeny seem to be very musical, apparently III's half-sister is singer-songwriter Holly Williams and his uncle is singer-songwriter Jett Williams. And weirdly, Jett Williams and Hank Williams II have never even spoken to each other.

JaDanketies

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 19, 2021, 01:02:53 PM
Billy Ray Cyrus - Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus' sister Noah Cyrus has also now started dipping her toes into singing, she's got a gorgeous voice like Miley too.

You heard the Miley Cyrus cover of Nothing Else Matters by Metallica? If you'd have told me ten years ago that this song would exist and that I would love it, I would've been mortified.

buzby

Quote from: Natnar on July 21, 2021, 09:10:58 AM
Sam Brown, one of the few cases of the offspring being better than the parent?
Until she lost her voice, at least.

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 21, 2021, 11:34:09 AM
Country music icon Hank Williams' son is also a country musician called Hank Williams II, and his son is a metal-infused 'outlaw country' musician (that I'm a big fan of) called Hank Williams III.
Hank Williams Jr. his actual name is Randall Hank Williams, but he obviously wanted people to know who's son he has in no uncertain terms. His son is actually named Shelton Hank Willams, but obviously felt the same way as his father regarding the family legacy. It's even odder when 'Hank' was only his father's stage name too (there are quite a few country singers of that era who used it as a stage name), as his real christian name was Hiram.
And weirdly, Jett Williams and Hank Williams II have never even spoken to each other.
They are only half-siblings - Jett was the result of an affair Williams had with a fan shortly before his death. She went through a long court battle against the Williams family (and Jr. in particular, as she wanted her half of her father's estate) to be recognised as his daughter, so it's not surprising they are not on good terms.

willbo

Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang toured on bass with the band for years (after the original bassist left) starting in his late teens (and looking hilariously nerdy/ordinary on stage with them IMO). He just released his debut solo album Mammoth

JaDanketies

Quote from: buzby on July 21, 2021, 11:41:49 AM
They are only half-siblings - Jett was the result of an affair Williams had with a fan shortly before his death

Hank Williams' jizz must have been so musical, each sperm had its own banjo. You could probably put a stethoscope against his ballsack and hear the next country and western hit.

Custard

Jimmy Webb's sons were the excellent Webb Brothers

I Can't Believe You're Gone
https://youtu.be/GJ9bXd4NAHg

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on July 21, 2021, 11:41:49 AM
It's even odder when 'Hank' was only his father's stage name too (there are quite a few country singers of that era who used it as a stage name), as his real christian name was Hiram.

The Islamic judgment is as maybe, but what was his real name?

I'll get me Jubba.

JaDanketies

Barely-relevant but I saw some other less-relevant posts itt too -

Did you know that Nick Reynolds, the harmonica player from Alabama 3 - most famous for the Sopranos theme tune - is the son of Bruce Reynolds, the mastermind of the Great Train Robbery in 1963?

Why is it that when someone follows their parent into the acting world (countless examples), it's treated as less of a joke? But when the child of a pop/rock/rap star does it, that's usually met with an air of cynicism, and cries of how they didn't deserve all those doors to be automatically open, when more deserving mortals don't get a look in.
I guess musicians have more of an expectation to be relatable, so if you remove the familiar rags-to-riches narrative, it kind of wrecks it.

Custard

Norah Jones is Ravi Shankar's daughter, and once you see the similarity you can't unsee it

chveik

Neneh Cherry is a genuinely good singer

Brundle-Fly

Folk-rock artist, Elvis Perkins, the son of actor, Anthony Perkins. And yes, this counts because the Psycho (1960) star released three albums and had a minor hit single in the U.S. during the late-1950s.

His son must've had a lot of emotion, agony and soul-searching inspiration for his country ballads considering his father's troubled life and early death. If that wasn't enough to deal with, he lost his mum, Berry Berenson in the 911 attack. She was a passenger on Flight 11. Some people really do get dealt a rough hand.

Custard

This certainly doesn't count, but it makes me laff

La Roux's mum is June From The Bill

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 21, 2021, 05:40:54 PM
Folk-rock artist, Elvis Perkins, the son of actor, Anthony Perkins. And yes, this counts because the Psycho (1960) star released three albums and had a minor hit single in the U.S. during the late-1950s.

His son must've had a lot of emotion, agony and soul-searching inspiration for his country ballads considering his father's troubled life and early death. If that wasn't enough to deal with, he lost his mum, Berry Berenson in the 911 attack. She was a passenger on Flight 11. Some people really do get dealt a rough hand.
He should team up with Jerry Lee Cash

kalowski

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 21, 2021, 03:02:09 PM
Jimmy Webb's sons were the excellent Webb Brothers

I Can't Believe You're Gone
https://youtu.be/GJ9bXd4NAHg
Ah, I love The Webb Brothers.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 19, 2021, 11:39:51 AM
The Wallflowers were absolutely massive in the States for a year or two in the 90s. I've never heard a note of their music, though, so can't confirm whether good or bad - one of those numerous American bands that have close to zero impact here.

One Headlight is a banger

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on July 22, 2021, 10:45:50 PM
One Headlight is a banger
I give it a try and was pretty much bored of it by the 90 second mark - I can sometimes dig that kind of mid 90s US  mainstream "alt" rock (ie Counting Crows, Toad the Wet Sprocket) but that washed right over me.

He's a better singer than his old man, I'll give him that.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 21, 2021, 03:16:44 PM

Did you know that Nick Reynolds, the harmonica player from Alabama 3 - most famous for the Sopranos theme tune - is the son of Bruce Reynolds, the mastermind of the Great Train Robbery in 1963?

But have you seen Bruce Richard Reynolds? He's a man I'd like to find.

TheMonk

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 21, 2021, 05:43:55 PM
This certainly doesn't count, but it makes me laff

La Roux's mum is June From The Bill
That is very weird. But I now have a mashup of Bulletproof and the theme from The Bill running through my head. It's quite good.

Rizla

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 20, 2021, 11:17:03 AM
There was a "Frank Sinatra Jr" who enjoyed a relatively modest, but still successful, career. Not the guy who thought he was Woody Allen's son for much of his life.

"He sure ain't his old man!"

Wiki:

QuoteKidnapping

Sinatra was kidnapped at the age of 19 on December 8, 1963, at Harrah's Lake Tahoe (Room 417).[5] He was released two days later after his father paid the $240,000 ransom demanded by the kidnappers (equivalent to $2,030,000 in 2020). Barry Keenan, Johnny Irwin, and Joe Amsler were soon captured, prosecuted for kidnapping, convicted, and sentenced to long prison terms, of which they served only small portions. Mastermind Keenan was later adjudged to have been legally insane at the time of the crime and hence not legally responsible for his actions.[5] Famed attorney Gladys Root represented Irwin.

The kidnappers demanded that all communication be conducted by payphone. During these conversations, Frank Sr. became concerned that he would not have enough coins, which prompted him to carry 10 dimes with him at all times for the rest of his life; he was even buried with 10 dimes in his pocket.[6]

At the time of the kidnapping, Frank Sr. and the Rat Pack were filming Robin and the 7 Hoods. The stress of the kidnapping, in addition to the assassination of Sinatra's close friend John F. Kennedy just a few weeks prior to the kidnapping, caused Sinatra to seriously consider shutting down production completely, although the film was ultimately completed.[7]

Kelly Osbourne is the child of a rock star who had a few medium hits. Although it's really off the back of that massive reality show the whole family did, so I'd say she was famous in her own right before the music, not "just" Ozzy Osbourne's daughter.

Aleister Growley

Hank III's son , called "IV" obvs, is making a go of it.

Not to be confused with Hank Williams IV.  (real name is Ricky Fitzgerald , the grandson of Butch Fitzgerald who is rumored to be the illegitimate son of Hank Sr)

JaDanketies

Quote from: Aleister Growley on July 27, 2021, 05:44:38 PM
Hank III's son , called "IV" obvs, is making a go of it.

Not to be confused with Hank Williams IV.  (real name is Ricky Fitzgerald , the grandson of Butch Fitzgerald who is rumored to be the illegitimate son of Hank Sr)

So here's the III album by IV. Sounds like garage rock kinda stuff.

But another Hank III progeny  Coleman Finchum has also started releasing stuff that's a bit truer to the family brand. Much more my thing, at least from the debut single 'Son of Sin'.

Looks like with all these Hank IVs about, we're gonna have another Batushka situation.