Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

London has the lowest vaccine uptake in the country

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 19, 2021, 12:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

shiftwork2

Zetetic

Mostly age, isn't it?
QuoteDr Somen Banerjee, the borough's public health director, said that was because it has the youngest population in the country, with only 6% of its residents aged over 65.

"When you look at overall figures, we will logically have a lower proportion of the adult population vaccinated. When you do the comparisons by age bands, we look at where we are relative to London, and we're actually in the middle on just about every single age band from 18-29," he said.

While there might also be some access issues and failures to reach particular populations (Banerjee addresses this regarding Tower Hamlets), at least some of this seems to be supply issues, to various cities not just London, organised by the Westminster administration.

This isn't surprising unfortunately. They were open about punishing the North West for successful vaccine delivery earlier in the year. Prior to that they attempted to strangle testing in emerging outbreaks outside of the parts of Britain that they care about.

madhair60

everyone who lives in london, used to live in london or has ever been to london is a cunt

JamesTC

I've only been to London on a weekend. Am I a cunt all week or just Friday to Sunday?

Dr Rock

chveik

jobotic

It's because people in London don't need to worry about the NHS because they are all filthy rich and live in houses like the ones in Paddington and Motherland.

All of them.

imitationleather

Feel so lucky I managed to pull myself out of the gutter of zone 2 London and ended up in the big city lights of Newcastle instead.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 19, 2021, 03:24:35 PM
They're all oligarchs

Something against oligarchs mate? Come down to where I live and we'll sort this out like gentlemen.

Address

22 Tudor Mansions,
Little Russia Gated Community,
Knightsbridge

flotemysost

Quote from: Zetetic on July 19, 2021, 12:42:56 PM
Mostly age, isn't it?
While there might also be some access issues and failures to reach particular populations (Banerjee addresses this regarding Tower Hamlets), at least some of this seems to be supply issues, to various cities not just London, organised by the Westminster administration.

This isn't surprising unfortunately. They were open about punishing the North West for successful vaccine delivery earlier in the year. Prior to that they attempted to strangle testing in emerging outbreaks outside of the parts of Britain that they care about.

I think that's probably it. One of my friends is a nurse (and also does vaccines) in Hackney, which has one of the lowest uptakes of the London boroughs, and she reckons it's partly down to mistrust of the vaccine/spreading of misinformation among BAME communities, unfortunately. I wonder how much also might be down to people thinking they might not need to bother getting vaccinated if they've already had COVID (as many people living in densely populated areas will have done by now)?

And going by the proliferation of rabidly unhinged propaganda round my way at the moment, the antivax nutter contingency is strong, though I suspect that's the case in most cities.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 19, 2021, 12:52:24 PM
everyone who lives in london, used to live in london or has ever been to london is a cunt

I can't argue with this. I had hoped the vaccine might help, but I'm still a massive cunt, I'm afraid.

bgmnts

See you'd think that people in cities would be more cultured and intelligent than small town folk or country bumpkin but I suppose the simple mathematics of 'more people = more nutters' makes sense.

Zetetic

Quote from: flotemysost on July 20, 2021, 06:36:30 PM
One of my friends is a nurse (and also does vaccines) in Hackney, which has one of the lowest uptakes of the London boroughs, and she reckons it's partly down to mistrust of the vaccine/spreading of misinformation among BAME communities, unfortunately.

Significantly though:
QuoteDr Banerjee added the highest uptake in the borough was in the Bangladeshi community - which makes up 34% of [Tower Hamlet]'s population - thanks to a regular clinic in the East London Mosque. He said it had also held clinics targeting the Somali population and that queues were going out of the door for its clinics for those who are not registered with a GP.

(GP non-registration also screws up your denominators depending which population estimates you're using, but in favour of boosting apparent take-up.)

Dr Rock

Alan Bennett lives in London, he's not a cunt.

Bernice

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 20, 2021, 06:50:07 PM
Alan Bennett lives in London, he's not a cunt.

Wouldn't say that if you lived here. Not at all uncommon to wake up to the sight of him stomping the rose bush in the front garden, only to have him turn up in the afternoon trying to sell you bamboo canes: "Oh dear, pity about those lovely roses. Not to worry, one of these will soon have them restored to the perpendicular." Five quid a pop, would you believe.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

London is also home to muslims, jews, tiny wee children dying of leukemia, Sporty Spice, and Jeremy Corbyn. Are they ALL cunts?

bakabaka

Gives new meaning to the phrase 'densely populated'.

Buelligan

I'm sure the age thing is highly relevant, also the question of whether one has already had it.  People might be forgiven for thinking, I've already had it, I likely don't need to get vaccinated, let someone more at risk have first go.

flotemysost

Quote from: Buelligan on July 21, 2021, 05:34:34 PM
I'm sure the age thing is highly relevant, also the question of whether one has already had it.  People might be forgiven for thinking, I've already had it, I likely don't need to get vaccinated, let someone more at risk have first go.

Yep, I reckon that's it (as someone who booked my first jab the instant my age group became eligible, have moved my second one forward three times now and can't move it any further, and got turned away from a walk-in the other day) - we're not all reticent hooligans. In fact I'm not even that young either.

Re: the second point, it's not London specific, but I am seeing a worrying amount of chat on social media about how "having COVID gives you greater immunity than two jabs, so you don't need to bother getting your second dose". I imagine loads of young-ish, single-jabbed people have recently tested positive with mild or no symptoms, so it's a bit of a concern if some of them are going to think, ahh fuck it, no point (but that would certainly contribute to the stats in the article).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Buelligan on July 21, 2021, 05:34:34 PM

I was in Manchester last weekend and they have big yellow signs up from the NHS along the pavements almost everywhere in the city centre (to the point where it's beyond distracting to alarming) pleading with anyone who wants a jab to come forward, it's an explicit unconditional offer.

The communication has been such that I'm pretty sure 90%+ polled would confirm they were aware you need 2, not 1 jab.

Buelligan

I didn't actually mean the first dose of vaccine (although that too, is a thought), I meant the actual virus.  Not an expert but seem to remember that London was an area where there were very high numbers infected, so it's possible that some of those individuals might think it's better for people who haven't been ill and are vulnerable to have first dibs.  Whatever the explanation, I think the idea that there can be some sort of simplistic league table showing people in London to be mad anti-vaxxers is not the correct one.

steveh

BBC London's early evening news has been reporting on the low take-up for some months but without really having any detail as to what the key factors have been. Vaccination amongst the elderly in London also lagged elsewhere so it's not entirely age and there was speculation that amongst Afro-Caribbeans it was low because of an unsurprising distrust of the government in that community. Other than charts showing a low take-up in boroughs with the highest poverty it doesn't seem like much investigation has gone on about the reasons.

Buelligan

And let's be utterly honest.  Given Johnson's expressed insouciance over the possibility that many thousands may die, given his and the government's constant lying over just about anything whether serious or not and given the known fact that they'd buy unusable PPE and hand out enormous contracts to mates of mates with no proven experience in the area, I don't blame people for not entirely trusting them when they say getting vaccinated is a good idea. 

If anyone's to blame for people choosing not to get vaccinated, it's the governments, not just in the UK but around the world who constantly publicly show they give no fuck whatsoever for the wellbeing of their citizens and people in general.  Who spend large amounts of time working in all areas to undermine the trust of the population.  Especially when it comes to poor people.

Uncle TechTip

Just sneak up behind them, slap them on the shoulder with a hearty "how are you doing?" whilst simultaneously shoving a needle in their arse cheek. They'll not notice given the initial startle. Then just say, "oh I thought you were someone else"

imitationleather

Most of my friends live in London so I can confirm the observations about the general character of the people in that city contained within this thread.

Dr Rock

Don't worry, us Londoners are the kings of banter, we know you provincials look up to us with affection, respect, and yes, no little jealousy.

El Unicornio, mang

London having a large Muslim population, which is statistically getting the vaccine less, might also be a factor.