Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:16:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Upcoming vinyl reissues

Started by Custard, July 19, 2021, 01:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Dunno if this thread will die on its arse or not, but thought it might be an idea to have a thread to highlight upcoming vinyl rereleases?

Three big ones for me announced this week

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World
and now...
Supergrass - In It For The Money!!!

Three records I've been dying to get hold of. What a week

Patiently waiting for Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen...

Pauline Walnuts

Why don't you get nü records by exciting up and coming artists rather than re-issues?

Because you know in 20 years times you'll be buying the re-issues of them, not the future new and exciting artists, and so it continues.

Custard

Oh, I do buy stuff from new artists too, just the last year or two I've started collecting vinyl of my favourite albums, and these three have been on the list. So it's nice to tick them off!

But yes, SUPPORT NEW ARTISTS TOO PLZ

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 19, 2021, 03:12:06 PM
Why don't you get nü records by exciting up and coming artists rather than re-issues?

Because you know in 20 years times you'll be buying the re-issues of them, not the future new and exciting artists, and so it continues.

A lot of newer artists (outside of stuff that makes its way to bandcamp etc) seem to be not releasing things physically at all, and in some cases seem to offer very little choice as to whom you buy (or in some cases just stream) the digital files from.

Could be that things are released digitally to test the water, or they just can't be fucked since there seems to be a fairly predictable 'several month' gap between digital and physical pressings these days.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 19, 2021, 01:47:00 PM
Patiently waiting for Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen...

Spiritualized site is down btw so probably forthcoming.

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on July 22, 2021, 03:30:41 PM
Spiritualized site is down btw so probably forthcoming.

It's embargoed until Monday, but a few indies had it on their websites today before quickly deleting it.

JohnnyCouncil

Nice. Good to know I don't need to check over the weekend. Anything special on the art, vaccination edition perhaps?

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on July 22, 2021, 04:31:49 PM
Nice. Good to know I don't need to check over the weekend. Anything special on the art, vaccination edition perhaps?

JohnnyCouncil

Thanks. Not sure what I think of that. Ineresting though.

holyzombiejesus

I was told that the limited glow-in-the-dark press of the latest Spiritualized reissue was fucked and the label have had to promise a regular black vinyl pressing for free to those who paid for the former. The latter is several weeks late already with no sign (although someone on discogs is selling a copy). Anyway, won't be holding my breath for the L&G reissue.

PaulTMA

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 22, 2021, 06:43:55 PM
I was told that the limited glow-in-the-dark press of the latest Spiritualized reissue was fucked and the label have had to promise a regular black vinyl pressing for free to those who paid for the former. The latter is several weeks late already with no sign (although someone on discogs is selling a copy). Anyway, won't be holding my breath for the L&G reissue.

I ordered glow in the dark and got an email saying I could collect it from the shop... do you mean fucked as in no longer happening or fucked as in the pressing is unlistenable, so free black copies?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 22, 2021, 06:51:53 PM
I ordered glow in the dark and got an email saying I could collect it from the shop... do you mean fucked as in no longer happening or fucked as in the pressing is unlistenable, so free black copies?

As in unlistenable. That's what I was told by my local indie which is probably one of the main 2 or 3 outside of London. He said the black was a bonus, in addition to the glowing one, to make up for the latter being fucked, and that's why hardly any of the black have made it in to the shops yet as they're being dished out to people like yourself hopefully. There's no mention of it on Discogs or reddit so they could possibly be fobbing me off or bullshitting.

PaulTMA

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 22, 2021, 07:08:25 PM
As in unlistenable. That's what I was told by my local indie which is probably one of the main 2 or 3 outside of London. He said the black was a bonus, in addition to the glowing one, to make up for the latter being fucked, and that's why hardly any of the black have made it in to the shops yet as they're being dished out to people like yourself hopefully. There's no mention of it on Discogs or reddit so they could possibly be fobbing me off or bullshitting.

Ah.  Some people with golden ears on the Hoffman board are claiming it's alright, others a bit shite but no mention of free black copies and stuff.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Have the albums been remastered? Or are they just straight reissues with nice packaging? Just curious. I don't own a turntable and always thought the production on the CDs was pretty much flawless, so I'm curious if these new ones will actually sound any different from previous releases (glow in the dark snafu aside).

I spent years trying to obtain a copy of the CD version of Pure Phase with the glow in the dark case. Could never find it in any record shop in any country I visited after its initial release, and the ones I could find on ebay were snapped up for silly money. Went to check on discogs a couple of years ago and there were dozens of the fuckers going for pennies, so finally got one. The same year I was on a  trip to the US and while idly browsing in a record shop I found an OG copy of their debut single Anyway That You Want Me, complete with Spacemen 3 sticker on it, for just a few bucks. Didn't expect to find that laying about in the wild so I was made up.

PaulTMA

Yeah, new mastering, seems to be getting a thumbs up by the Hoffs.

Emailed the bloke in the record shop and he replied saying he's sold loads of the GITD edition and had no complaints.  Shame, I quite liked the idea of having two copies for no particular reason

Egyptian Feast

My copy was fine. I bought it from the Spiritualized website as everyone else had sold out. It sounds better than the old vinyl copy I had in the 90s, though that didn't split Born Never Asked and Electric Mainline between the first and second disc (unless I'm remembering incorrectly?), which just sounds wrong.

I think I gave that to my girlfriend at the time when I found the glow in the dark CD edition, though I wish I hadn't now (if she hasn't got rid of her record collection already, she's sitting on a goldmine). She must've got my old copy of Lazer Guided Melodies too, but at least I held onto Fucked Up Inside, the second side of which is still probably my favourite 20 odd minutes of Spiritualized.

Egyptian Feast

Yeah, I was right. They've moved 'These Blues' to side 2, so there's no room for 'Electric Mainline', despite the segue. Odd decision.

Even though the quality of coloured vinyl has improved dramatically over the last few years, isn't glow in the dark stuff still notoriously shit? Though if they say it sounds decent on the Hoffman forums then I'd be minded to believe them.

Here's a review of the black variant on the Clash Mag website: https://www.clashmusic.com/features/just-played-a-column-about-vinyl-records-17

QuoteSeveral months ago, Just Played featured the first of the Spaceman Reissue Programme which is remastering the first four Spiritualized albums and returning them to vinyl. 'Lazer Guided Melodies' sounded great but suffered from some terrible packaging that was too tight and prone to bowing. For the second title, 'Pure Phase', the issues have been largely addressed and we get a sturdy tip-on gatefold to house the GZ pressing. It's still a little tight, but the sense of things being rather cheap has evaporated.

Once again, Jason Pierce has opted for alternative artwork and a special edition is available on glow in the dark vinyl. Notoriously a tricky variant, early reports suggest it actually sounds pretty good. This column sampled a standard black edition and pitched it against an original for some comparison. The most obvious difference is the distribution of tracks across the four parts, including a tweak to the running order towards the end. Die-hards will find it odd when sides finish unexpectedly and the 'wrong' song opens another but it appears to have been done with sound quality in mind.

The nature of having two simultaneous mixes at play, one for each channel, always meant that 'Pure Phase' had a somewhat woozy sonic signature and that remains the case here. The high end and mid-range are largely the same as the original, but a little more bottom end seems to creep in at times. Given the scarcity of originals in decent nick, this series continues to serve its purpose, but its frustrating to once again encounter some surface noise. It would seem that it's a touch of the classic GZ roulette where issues aren't consistent and you could well get a perfect one. Keep on trying, as this is a fine job by Fat Possum overall.

I see LCD Soundsystem's The Long Goodbye is getting a reissue on 5 x LP, but at £90 for that I've opted for the triple CD for a third of the price instead.

Pauline Walnuts

The Smerz album that came out this year on luminous vinyl sounded fine. I think historically they did sound bad though, Always wanted that glow in the dark 12" of Kraftwerk's Neon Lights, but never got around to buying it.

I was tempted by the green splatter of George 'I don't like paying tax' Harrison's All Things Must Pass, but I ain't paying the best part of £70 for it.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 19, 2021, 07:26:26 PM
A lot of newer artists (outside of stuff that makes its way to bandcamp etc) seem to be not releasing things physically at all, and in some cases seem to offer very little choice as to whom you buy (or in some cases just stream) the digital files from.

Also because newer artists who would press a few thousand copies, can't, because pressing plants all across Europe are flat out pressing umpteen copies of the twelfth re-issue of Bryan Adams' album for Record Store Day and the shelves of ASDA.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 23, 2021, 08:11:08 PM
Also because newer artists who would press a few thousand copies, can't, because pressing plants all across Europe are flat out pressing umpteen copies of the twelfth re-issue of Bryan Adams' album for Record Store Day and the shelves of ASDA.

Yeah that too, it's bullshit.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 23, 2021, 08:11:08 PM

Genuine question: How come there aren't enough new pressing plants opening up to plug the gap in supply vs demand? I keep reading that vinyl is now outselling CDs and that the vinyl market is healthy. I would have assumed we'd be seeing tons of smaller local plants cropping up worldwide, in much the same way as craft breweries started appearing just about everywhere on the planet at the end of the noughties.

I assume it takes a very large investment to build a pressing plant, but if there really is a massive backlog of independent artists desparate to get their records made asap, it'd be a pretty safe one, no? Jack White's Third Man does pretty well, right?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 24, 2021, 12:21:55 AM
Genuine question: How come there aren't enough new pressing plants opening up to plug the gap in supply vs demand? I keep reading that vinyl is now outselling CDs and that the vinyl market is healthy.

Vinyl is still not outselling CDs by a long shot. 16 million CDs were sold in the UK last year, compared to 4.8 million records.

DJ Bob Hoskins

It is in the USA, apparently:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/sep/14/vinyl-records-outsell-cds-in-us-for-first-time-since-1980s

But I assume the general answer to my question is "economics". As in, the overall market for physical media is still declining so there's just not that much money to be made.

Pauline Walnuts

That's revenue, not per-item sales.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Yeah well, I'm gonna go build my own pressing plant!

Pauline Walnuts

Not sure I'd bother,

Official Vinyl Albums Chart:
@KSI's All Over The Place storms to Number 1 with over 5,000 sales! http://bit.ly/2CGv97w

https://twitter.com/officialcharts/status/1418873617732050951

I remember when there only be 5,000 copies was a sale gimmick, buy it now, or it'll be gone forever!

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 24, 2021, 10:02:48 PM
Not sure I'd bother,

Official Vinyl Albums Chart:
@KSI's All Over The Place storms to Number 1 with over 5,000 sales! http://bit.ly/2CGv97w

https://twitter.com/officialcharts/status/1418873617732050951

I remember when there only be 5,000 copies was a sale gimmick, buy it now, or it'll be gone forever!

I could try secure some famous musicians' business? Like Jack Black and Hooky's?

(sorry, appreciate the answers)

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 22, 2021, 04:43:54 PM

I now realise this is the cover of the latest version. Not keen.

I thought from that pic they were going to do an overpriced box set split over 6 records, which would've been daft, but so was the original 12 CD blister pack set.

Custard

Oh no, didn't know that was the actual cover. Oof, might not bother