Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:23:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Upcoming vinyl reissues

Started by Custard, July 19, 2021, 01:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyCouncil

I went for it. Sneakily the t-shirt combo does come in the original foil packaging so they've upped quite a few 30 quid spends to around 70 i'll bet (they did for me anyhow).

Custard

badaids

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 22, 2021, 04:43:54 PM

Like a twat I got the CD when the original of this came out instead of the LP because I liked the foil blister. I played the record to death at the time too. I relistened to it because of this thread and was shocked at how dated it sounds. The production seems quite flat and the fire in a bottle sound that I remembered just wasn't there. The songs aren't as strong as I remembered either. At the time I remembered thinking that it would have sounded great with Liam Gallagher singing on it, and I'd still love to hear that.

Custard

Space's debut Spiders is getting the 25th anniversary treatment

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR4ctiAgUpB/

Hope they do similar for Tin Planet

Custard

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 29, 2021, 05:33:53 PM
Screamadelica picture disc. It's actually quite nice
https://www.instagram.com/p/CR6rz1gMbrK/

There's also a 10x10" box amongst other things.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 29, 2021, 05:33:53 PM
Screamadelica picture disc. It's actually quite nice
https://www.instagram.com/p/CR6rz1gMbrK/

This is the sort of shit that's clogging up the pressing plants and making it difficult for indies to get records made.

The Super Furries and Supergrass reissues make sense because they've never been repressed and the originals sound bobbins, but this Screamadelica release - and increasingly the reissue market - is only there to make money out of bald men.

Custard

Supergrass arrived today. Oh man, I forgot just how great this album is. One banger after another, and like the first album it never lets up

Very nice package too (I bet it is, you dirty bollocks), though I'm not sure the Bentley Rhythm Ace remix of Sun Hits The Sky and one solitary b-side needs a 12 inch extra record. Thought it was gonna be a 7 incher lobbed in

It's all very nice, though. The sound is supoib

Egyptian Feast

Norman Records recently sent out a pre-order annoucement for an excellent sounding comp called Brazilian Fuzz Guitar Bananas that hasn't been released on vinyl before. I found it on Amazon for half the price Norman wanted (which was £32.99) and I'm not sure if that's a mistake as it sounds like a lavish enough set, but I nabbed it a while back and it's still on sale for £16, so if you like Brazilians going fuzz guitar bananas (and who doesn't?), that's a bit of a steal and you can assuage your guilt at giving Bezos your cash by imagining you are sticking it to him.

QuoteGatefold 2xLP with 24 pg booklet. The Heaviest, Rarest, Best Fuzz-Funk-Psych 45s From Brazil. Rare and previously unreleased tracks restored and remastered, many from the original master tapes. Detailed liner notes with rare photos, ephemera and full annotation and band histories in both English and Portuguese This isn t your usual vinyl hookup... Magic wax... Face-melting 45s .
Following the success of the recently released Psych Funk 101, Brasilian Guitar, Fuzz Bananas should serve as a master class for those entranced by the funky, heavy psychedelic wonders of the Tropicalia movement and all that it spawned. But as compiler Joel Stones writes in his liner notes: You won t find Os Mutantes or their maestro Rogerio Duprat on this compilation. There is a reason that the records contained here have never been reissued. Even though you will recognize some of the labels contained here...believe me when I write this: some of the rarest, and best, examples of fuzzy, funky Brazilian psychedelia came out as promo-only 7 records on these labels. Each song contained on this album has never been reissued, and has been restored from the best source possible and remastered for near-perfect sound quality. The giant 24 page full color booklet contains a wealth of imagery and detailed annotation and liner notes in both English and Portuguese.

JohnnyCouncil

Glad to see a bit of love for Norman round here, my go to online shop, which now I've left London has become my primary record shop. Anyway, cracked on the Nick Cave rarities box set. There's a lot to chew through and I don't know the pre-Murder Ballads work well (or the b-sides at all) but if i'm honest i've got it for Steve McQueen.

Pauline Walnuts

I was quite tempted by the Re-issue re-mixed Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason.

But I came to my senses.

Magnum Valentino

The first five post-Max Cavalera Sepultura albums are being reissued on vinyl (and CD) in a few months in a big red box. Despite being on Roadrunner, Against has never been reissued ever.

Nice to see these albums acknowledged in this way. Generally I'm more likely to be in the mood for these than any of the earlier stuff. Igor Cavalera's best work is on Roorback from 2003.

Sadly the Rings Around The World vinyl is a bit of a mess. Lots of reports of dished or warped discs and surface noise. Mine's certainly really noisy thanks to it coming out of the inner sleeve covered in scuffs. I've even read that some shops have taken it off the shelves due to the issues with it.

Save your money and buy the CD. The remaster sounds absolutely incredible.

In It For The Money is disappointing for different reasons. I ended up with a well pressed copy, but the remaster is underwhelming. The guitar solo in Late In The Day gives it away - it sounds like it's being played through a wall.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 04, 2021, 10:31:53 PM
Sadly the Rings Around The World vinyl is a bit of a mess. Lots of reports of dished or warped discs and surface noise. Mine's certainly really noisy thanks to it coming out of the inner sleeve covered in scuffs. I've even read that some shops have taken it off the shelves due to the issues with it.

Save your money and buy the CD. The remaster sounds absolutely incredible.

Bugger. Was looking forward to that one. Are they all shite or is it a lottery? Any links to the reports?

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on September 05, 2021, 12:19:46 AM
Bugger. Was looking forward to that one. Are they all shite or is it a lottery? Any links to the reports?

Sounds like there are some decent copies. But here are some bad reviews:

https://www.discogs.com/Super-Furry-Animals-Rings-Around-The-World/release/20075032

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/super-furry-animals.271987/page-40#post-27705941

The SFA OK! Facebook group is full of bad reports too.

And here's Kliph - who oversaw the project - saying he'd avoid GZ (the pressing plant who manufactured the reissue) "like the plague" https://twitter.com/kliphscurlock/status/1434098139934478341?s=21

Seriously though, get the CD or a high-res download (though the download release is so huge they've had to split it into two parts, with the second coming in a few weeks). It sounds magnificent.

kalowski

My SFA sounds fucking delightful!

Quote from: kalowski on September 05, 2021, 11:19:14 AM
My SFA sounds fucking delightful!

Think I'll try and get another copy - there are obviously some good ones out there. But that's me done for new releases on vinyl until quality control improves.

NattyDread 2

Thanks for the links. I've decided to chance it. New vinyl is definitely a bit of a lottery. I tend to mainly get it from Amazon just because the returns are so straightforward. I'd prefer to shop elsewhere, but such a big chunk of what I buy new arrives warped, pressed off centre or just sounding crap.

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on September 05, 2021, 03:03:27 PM
Thanks for the links. I've decided to chance it. New vinyl is definitely a bit of a lottery. I tend to mainly get it from Amazon just because the returns are so straightforward. I'd prefer to shop elsewhere, but such a big chunk of what I buy new arrives warped, pressed off centre or just sounding crap.

Most indies are brilliant with returns, and because they store and pack them properly (unlike Amazon) they're less likely to turn up damaged in the first place.

Norman Records are one of the best for it. They just get it. They're very fast and will send you prepaid returns labels. And for minor defects like a dinked corner, they'll offer a £5 voucher if you want to keep the copy rather than replace it.

NattyDread 2

Nice one. I'll bear that in mind. I remember Norman records being pretty decent when I used them years ago.

Custard

My copy of Rings sounds fine. Was a pre-order from Amazon

kalowski

Looks like all of the White Stripes albums are getting reissued, although other than White Blood Cells [Oct 22] there's no indication as to when they are coming out.

holyzombiejesus

New Popol Vuh box set on the way, quite cheap too (£70 for 4 LPs)

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: kalowski on September 05, 2021, 09:09:49 PM
Looks like all of the White Stripes albums are getting reissued, although other than White Blood Cells [Oct 22] there's no indication as to when they are coming out.

Maybe it's just me, but aren't they in the perineum of 'Fresh n' Cool' and 'old n' retro', time wise that is? The bloated Jack White solo albums have done nothing for their reputation.

kngen

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 05, 2021, 11:16:57 AM

And here's Kliph - who oversaw the project - saying he'd avoid GZ (the pressing plant who manufactured the reissue) "like the plague" https://twitter.com/kliphscurlock/status/1434098139934478341?s=21

It's hugely depressing how they've been able to corner the market in vinyl pressing just by taking on the sheer volume of orders that they do (and they're long overdue an expose of their workplace and environmental practices. But that's just word-of-mouth from Czech friends and other folk I've spoken to with first-hand experience, so who knows if that will ever come to light).

But then I've got friends who run tiny labels who swear by them. Maybe the quality variances are much less noticeable on significantly smaller runs.

kalowski

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 06, 2021, 11:44:13 AM
Maybe it's just me, but aren't they in the perineum of 'Fresh n' Cool' and 'old n' retro', time wise that is? The bloated Jack White solo albums have done nothing for their reputation.
I really like them (although Icky Thump is not a favourite). You are right about his solo records, Especially that last one.

JohnnyCouncil

I really liked Lazaretto at the time, although been a while since I listened. Tbh the only White Stripes album I genuinely love is Satan, and that one doesn't really sound like White Stripes.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on August 27, 2021, 06:00:47 PM
Norman Records recently sent out a pre-order annoucement for an excellent sounding comp called Brazilian Fuzz Guitar Bananas that hasn't been released on vinyl before.

This turned up and was as enjoyable as hoped. Biggest laugh of the week so far came a few seconds into 'Som Imaginário De Jimmi Hendrix' by Kenny Loggins The Pops.

Egyptian Feast

Got the Ladies and Gentlemen... vinyl today. Sounds great, but he's gone and split songs that used to segue into each other again (this time 'Home Of The Brave' and 'The Individual') and it spoils the flow somewhat.

Custard

Yeah, mine arrived too. Wasn't sure about the new artwork at first, but it's growing on me now I've seen it up close. Still a bit of a baffling decision to change it, mind

I love the art inside of people packing the original CD release like medicine containers