Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:27:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cornelius Cancelled

Started by Chedney Honks, July 19, 2021, 03:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 19, 2021, 08:28:40 PM
My favourite "wow, Japan is different" story is the concrete-encased high school girl murder case.

Oh man, I knew that would come up. One of the worst stories I've ever read.

Brundle-Fly

That story would make even the staunchest anti-death penalty campaigner want to take each perpetrator into a house and subject them to everything she went through for five weeks and then execute the bastards. Obviously, these acts would make you as bad as them...blah blah...

The paraphrased last lines from the horrific revenge movie 7 Days (2010)

Spoiler alert
What you did. Has it brought you retribution?

No.

Would you do it again?

Yes.
[close]

Greg Torso

Cornelius, this is terrible

jobotic

Yeah cheers, glad I read (some) of that

peanutbutter

Quote from: kngen on July 19, 2021, 07:56:01 PM
Not to defend Oyamada in the slightest (and this has put me in the really shit mood, because I fucking love(d) Cornelius) but, until fairly recently, bullying used to be incredibly common in Japanese schools, and was pretty much encouraged as a form of social order. It wasn't until an epidemic of teenage suicides (and some pretty grisly murders, including a beheading) in the 2000s prompted a bit of national soul-searching, and thus the authorities realised that duty of care should probably include 'not allowing children's lives to become a living hell'. Battle Royale, the movie, was a pretty smart comment on the whole 'debate' at the time.

I'd imagine if you grew up in that environment, you'd probably be pretty blase about the horrible shit you'd done during your school days. Doesn't make you any less of a cunt though.
Yep I figured part of it was cultural. Like, it sounds like the 1994 articles were like someone bragging about some of the weird ways their quirky creative streak manifested before they got into music, except normally those stories are kinda cute instead of horrific.

He had plenty of time to address this though, and I can't imagine it wasn't brought up to him at several points in the meantime. All this kind of shit tends to be quite well known on some corner of the internet for years before it blows up.
Actually, that his response has been quite shit is a big part of it too, as if he's unwilling to accept how awful it was.

Harvey Milk

Quote from: jobotic on July 19, 2021, 09:07:55 PM
Yeah cheers, glad I read (some) of that

Ah yeah, don't read that. The most vile murder case I've ever read about - only one or two come close - and Wikipedia still doesn't cover the full extent of it.

idunnosomename

let's not forget Legend Issei. chekky bit of rape, murder and cannibalism. become international celebrity. although this is as much as to do with France being shitty as Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issei_Sagawa

lazyhour

I was so chuffed to meet Oyamada in Tokyo a couple of years ago and even got my photo taken with him.

Can't believe I was smiling and standing next to a cannibal :-(

imitationleather

Yeah the story of Junko Furuta should always come with a content warning, really.

It's not yer standard light-hearted true crime story.

idunnosomename

was gonna make a joke about Jack the Ripper, Ian Brady and Peter Sutcliffe being cheeky and wholesome but thought better of it. I can just mention it in this way to have the best of both worlds.

chveik

heard they're going to hire cab favourite SUTCLIFFE JUGEND to replace him

Video Game Fan 2000

Mark E Smith cancelled for bullying when it comes to light that he was the leader of a band called "The Fall" from 1976 until his death.

buzby

Quote from: Flouncer on July 19, 2021, 08:22:14 PM
From what I could gather, it would seem that there is a lot of ableism in Japan; a prevailing attitude of keeping the disabled out of public view and treating them as something of an embarrassment to society.
The manga and animated film A Silent Voice is one of the rare pieces of Japanese media to address this issue, as it's the story about a group of kids who bully a deaf girl who is transferred into their class, and how it affects their lives afterwards. It gets pretty uncomfortable at times.

I thought this was going to be a thread about an artist called Cornelius Cancelled.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: chveik on July 20, 2021, 01:33:19 AM
heard they're going to hire cab favourite SUTCLIFFE JUGEND to replace him

I Never Met a Woman Who Didn't Deserve to Die (Olympics 2020 opening ceremony mix)

Blinder Data

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 20, 2021, 04:14:12 AM
Mark E Smith cancelled for bullying when it comes to light that he was the leader of a band called "The Fall" from 1976 until his death.

I laughed.

I'm listening to Fantasma right now because I never have. Hopefully my appreciation of it does not outweigh my disgust at this guy's adolescent actions :/

Chedney Honks

Great record and a lot of fun. It's bursting with all the imagination and creativity of a guy who would tape a cardboard box to a disabled kid's head and make him eat his own shit while wanking in public. He's just full of ideas.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I'd heard of cornelius but never heard his music. Only thing I'd heard of him was when he was one of the extra musicians for YMO[nb]or when they were playing as  Sketch Show/Human Audio Sponge[/nb], playing a line of La Femme Chinoise on guitar with a nasty screechy octave sound on it. Thought he was a tosser just for that and I'm glad the world at large has caught up.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 20, 2021, 04:59:48 PM
Great record and a lot of fun. It's bursting with all the imagination and creativity of a guy who would tape a cardboard box to a disabled kid's head and make him eat his own shit while wanking in public. He's just full of ideas.

He's well known for pushing the envelope. Probably into some kid's orifice.

popcorn

I love Cornelius. This song from his live collaboration with Salyu is a great first thing to hear if you don't know his music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btr4oFR2W6c&ab_channel=TOYSFACTORYJP

Shame about the horror

momatt

This is horrible.  Hard to match this behaviour with such beautiful music.  Which is still incredible I think.

lazyhour

A Japanese friend has told me a bit more detail about the offending 1994 interview. I remember a few years ago when I told her I love Cornelius she said she once read a horrible magazine interview that made it very hard for him to ever like him again... looks like this was it! She said she can't believe a huge fuss wasn't made before now given how gross it was.

I'll paraphrase her (warning, disturbing stuff):

What he's done, calling it bullying is much too kind.

He laughed and talked about how disabled kids got stripped of their clothes and were forced to jerk off in front of other kids. Also some of them were forced to eat their own feces.

The magazine also showed a New Year's Day greeting card which he received from one of the disabled kids while still at school. He was laughing and insulting at this kid's handwriting (looks obvious that the kid's mum helped him to write it). Also he was laughing at kids with Down syndrome and mocking their facial features....

He was like 25yrs old when he did this interview.

Apparently, one of those disabled kids was traumatised so badly after the bullying he couldn't even go back to a normal life at the time.

jobotic

I'm not that familiar with his own stuff but he worked with, or remixed, a few people that I love. Hope they familiar with all this and turned a bold eye becuase he was a hip happening thing.

sevendaughters

cunt check
cunt cunt cunt check

Beagle 2

These are the worst kind of cancellings, the ones where you haven't heard of the cancellee but in the course of reading about the cancelling you think  their work sounds like the kind of thing you would really like. The work of the music work not the torturing of the disabled work.

lazyhour

Yep, his music is absolutely brilliant. :-(

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: lazyhour on July 21, 2021, 05:38:28 PM
Also he was laughing at kids with Down syndrome and mocking their facial features....

Jimmy Carr did the same thing.

PaulTMA

I really only gave Fantasma ago a couple of years ago and remember quite liking it.  Bizarrely strong urge to listen again this week, haven't done so thusfar.  Probably not the best time to try and get into him really.

samadriel

I've never paid for his music, so it's okay!