Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:06:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GOOD AND NICE housemates/neighbours

Started by madhair60, July 19, 2021, 04:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Thursday

I'm lucky enough that I rarely hear much noise coming from my neighbours, and so hopefully this suggests the flat is well designed to block out too much noise through the walls, but I worry that this is actually because they sit in dead silence all day, and they can hear my tv blaring, and they sit there mocking my music taste, laughing when I get angry at videogames and falling about in hysterics when I'm wanking.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah mine are alright, despite having a new born baby you very rarely hear a peep from it or them. Nice people too.

They could of course be drugging it and shagging its orifices while it is unconscious but if so that's to my direct benefit.

Cheers

Emma Raducanu

To one side we have a lovely couple in their early 60s who are so friendly, we think of them as our adoptive grandparents. In summer we sometimes remove the fence panels dividing our gardens and share a bbq. Their grandchildren are the same age as our daughter and they share the paddling pool while we drink beer and listen to Aphex twin.

To the other side, we have an image obsessed young couple who are a pound shop Beckhams. They spend their entire lives decorating and his DIY is never ending. The guy has literally never even said hello when we meet and he cut down half our tree without asking. He used to park his second car Infront of our house until I told him to fucking stop.

peanutbutter

The odd older guy in the US I moved in with was pretty great. Cos he was renting the place for ages it was mad cheap so I figured it was worth any risk (just finding a room at all was hard, let alone a cheap one).
Turned out he was a pretty friendly eccentric who mostly kept to himself but was happy to have the occasional chat.

Current neighbours in the same building seem pretty nice, I've hardly talked to them though. Can only assume they spend as much time judging my music as I do theirs because I've heard a band I was playing abruptly start playing up there later the same day enough times that it's hard to imagine it's a always a coincidence.
Next door has a massive tree directly at the edge of their area that basically blocks all sunlight from my front room. Seeing as it doesn't even provide them shade or anything beyond aesthetics it seems a bit unreasonable to me but I'm renting so I dont give a shit.

Icehaven

We moved in March and there was barely any fence panels between our garden and the one to the left. I got on to our letting agency about it and they said someone would be in touch, but within a few days the neighbours themselves had put a 6ft fence in! Lovely to see they respect our privacy as much as their own, and I'm sure they're very pleasant but they don't speak to us or make eye contact or anything. Good fence though.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: icehaven on July 19, 2021, 06:25:40 PM
We moved in March and there was barely any fence panels between our garden and the one to the left. I got on to our letting agency about it and they said someone would be in touch, but within a few days the neighbours themselves had put a 6ft fence in! Lovely to see they respect our privacy as much as their own, and I'm sure they're very pleasant but they don't speak to us or make eye contact or anything. Good fence though.

Robert Frost considers prose rewrite

mothman

Our neighbours either side are lovely. Both lived here a couple of years less than us. We have keys to each other's houses to feed pets and water plants when needed. Lend each other tools, help out with DIY, occasional drinks & barbecues, chat over fences all the time.

Next one down though, total cunts. Shithead son threw a stone through our front window, aimed at my head where I was sitting in the sofa holding our youngest, then a baby. The man of that house, he was horrible. The day he died of a brain tumour was the best day ever.

DrGreggles

My neighbour has lived next door to me for years, but Lockdown I broke the ice.
We're best buds now. At least until I've finished using his lawnmower.

PlanktonSideburns

Neighbours on one side grow grass we never see em, ones on the other side is a famous comedy writer, and is a cunt

Sorry, meant to say more about lovely grass growing absentee neigbours

turnstyle

Moved to a new place end of last year. We're at the end of a row (oooh, get us), so only have one neighbour.

They seem ok. Exchange pleasantries about the weather and what not. The wife seems friendly, always have a quick chat when I see her, but I only ever see the husband when he's out the front tinkering with his classic car. All communication with him is limited to the traditional English 'nod up' that blokes do to each other. Quick raised eyebrows, chin jut, job done. That's it mate, we've acknowledged each other's existence, we're comfortable with each other's presence, and we're not going to wrestle each other to the ground like a couple of aggressive bears.

Cannot. Remember. His. Name. He looks like a Pete.

His car is an MG, but I have a recurring fantasy where I go over and spark up a conversation with 'Oh, I love classic cars, real passion of mine. You can't beat these old Ferraris can you?' just to see if he'll go mental. More likely he'd think I was a twat.

Every evening he retires to his shed where he listens to something like Magic FM or similar for a few hours. I just assume he's in there having a big old wank. Not a bad life that is it, working on your classic car by day, big old wank by night. Nice one, Pete.     

imitationleather

Had a massive falling out with the old cunt who lives downstairs who's lived here since the building was built and sees himself as a self-appointed warden and is always getting involved in everyone's business. It was during the first lockdown when the rubbish had stopped being collected and he blamed me for fucking up the cleanliness(?!) of the communal bins area. When I said I had to put my rubbish somewhere he said I should be keeping it in my one-bedroom flat. So a flat just overflowing with rubbish bags like you see mentally ill people living in, then. No, I'm not living like that again, prick. So this old Geordie man going apeshit at me, effing and jeffing, I told him firmly not to shout at me and I wasn't having being spoken to like that. He clearly was completely unused to people ever standing up to him and so it diffused it a bit. Now whenever he sees me he says "Hello" really grumpily like he's a fucking toddler.

Why didn't COVID kill this cunt? He's about 100 years old.

Massive racist arsehole too, by the way. And he chucks water out of his window on to the homeless people sitting outside.

Blinder Data

neighbours on both sides are lovely. couple in their 50s on one side with two grown-up kids - when i see them i think i'm looking at my future. the wife is amazingly friendly, could spend all day chatting, drops off freshly baked loaves for us for no reason and puts your bins out before you've even remembered it's bin day. the husband talks about 10% as much as his wife and is off tinkering with something in the garage most days.

lady in her 80s on the other side lives by herself and is quite spiky but appreciates a natter and a helping hand charging a car battery, changing a lightbulb, etc. she has two grown-up sons who live abroad. it's a bigger house than ours and i'd be lying if i said i've not idly wondered what might happen to it when she shuffles off this mortal coil...

Mr_Simnock

Neighbours are all fine, on very odd occasions there are sometimes parties/gatherings that have gone on till about 1am but they are so far and few it doesn't matter much.

chveik

they're fine. but one of them died last year when a big branch he was cutting fell on him. really bleak stuff

Custard

We finally bought our first flat a couple months back. So far it's been alright

Neighbours below, never hear 'em. Hope they're alive

Young family above, I think Spanish, pretty noisy. Apparently there's a daughter of around 12 who must have been left home alone on Saturday night, as she was banging around like a walrus til the early hours, lots of running about noises. At one point I got a stick and gave it a couple bangs on the ceiling. She responded with some bangs back, like we were chatting in some kind of noisy early hours morse code

Kept telling Mrs Custard I'm going up there, but I don't think it would have been a great situation a 41 year old man in his pants telling off a 12 year old girl at 3.30am, whilst her parents are out

Then I thought about going the next morning before work, but of course by then the noise has stopped and you're tired and just don't really care much anymore.

I don't mind if it was a one off, but I am kinda dreading this weekend, as I'm deffo gonna be heading up there

The cherry on top was some idiotic woman shouting into her phone outside around the 1.30 point. This did get me up by the window shouting "shuttttt uuuuuppppp", so I think I got a bit of the frustration out

Buelligan

Used to have the lovely vampire man, he left a few months ago.  Too much sun for what ailed him.  I shall miss his goodness to the cats. 

Still have fine ones though, last night was given a homemade apple pie, a really fantastic homemade apple pie, made for me.  This morning, woke to find a bag of veg, white and purple aubergines, small nutty courgettes and acid sweet tomatoes, hanging on my door.  I may have the shitbag lunatic (retired police) but he's just a holiday person and I also have these lovely people and many more who lend me tools, drive me to work and tell strangers in suits[nb]I suspect they were Jehovah's but really appreciated the sentiment[/nb] that they don't know where I live and have never heard of me.  I live in paradise.

Captain Poodle Basher

Nextdoor, currently empty after a lengthy renovation and awaiting new tenants. The last lot were lovely and quiet so I'm hoping lightning strikes twice.

Other side, single bloke in his fifties like me. Nice enough. Used to be a bit of a bellend spouting the latest business buzzwords in lieu of a normal conversation but Covid completely wiped out his line of work and he seems to have downsized his personality along with his prospects.

The house directly behind me is rented by a shower of noisy fuckers[nb]They spent lockdown last year having nightly parties into the wee hours with associated punch-ups in the street and police being called.[/nb]. They have a Legend Gary of a mate who likes to pull 'pranks' like turning the sound system up to 11. Last year he had some sort of Mic which he used to launch a career as a rapper only crapper. If he's not committing aural atrocities, he's got a 'Jerkass Homer' type of a laugh on him which marks him out as a cunt and no mistake.

Sebastian Cobb

Mine are fine, but then I barely see them. The lady and her son opposite are nice, gave me a christmas card which made me feel guilty as I was locking down and didn't have any to give them back.

The woman downstairs I only really spoke to when there was a leak coming from my flat but due to incorrect information from a dickhead heating engineer my agents thought it might've been in her roof so in the end the agreement between her and my agent was the downstairs agent would get their plumbers in to cut an inspection hole and had clearance to pop upstairs if it was in my gaff, which it was (turns out there was a nail in the condensate drain pipe for the boiler and I guess spending winter at home had filled the pipe enough for the problem to present itself).

The only one I ever really used to see was a guy with a chihuahua that used to yap and snap at my ankles as he was always nipping in and out on the stairs but I've not seen him in ages and think he must've moved out.

Jockice

My block.

Flat one: Me. Longest-standing resident.

Flat two: Woman in her 20s. Very pleasant. Single. Often has her parents and brother round. They're nice too. Only problem I have with her is she seems to wait till at least 11pm to do her housework.

Flat three: Geezer in his mid-70s. Has lived here nearly as long as me after splitting up with his wife. he was actually younger than I am now when he moved in. He seemed ancient. Is much fitter than me. Plays tennis and golf and coaches a junior girls' football team. See him more than all my other neighbours put together. Decent chap but very territorial about the bins, to the extent I just leave my rubbish outside the door and let him sort it.

Flat four. The only rented one. The flat is owned by Stephen Pollard. Although not THAT one I don't think. Woman in her 40s. Bit of a hippy,  is a white witch apparently. Pleasant enough but is hated by the bloke in flat three for some reason I can't quite work out. Has had the odd (in some cases very odd) boyfriend but is currently single.

Flat five: Another woman in her 20s. Only moved in a year or so ago. She's ok, although her mum (who lives on the next street along) can be a bit of a pain. Single as far as I know, but I don't know much.

Flat six: Computer geek type. Works in IT for a bank. Third longest-standing resident, although he did bugger off to America for a year at one point. Not seen in public very often but does go out for a coffee at the same time every morning.I've never known him have a partner, although a bloke who lived in flat four for a few months years ago told me they'd had the same girlfriend at university. Not simultaneously I presume. Not sure of his age but I'd say he was about five years younger than me.

So that's that. Could be much worse.

The Mollusk

Despite living in London and our immediate next door neighbours being posh twatty up themselves thirty-somethings (I overheard her never-quiet voice from my kitchen the other day saying "I NEED MY TOAST BUTTERED ALL THE WAY TO THE EDGE TODAY DOM"), the residential street I live on is absolutely fucking lovely. One of the ladies for the last year every Wednesday without fail has been baking 2-3 cakes and inviting all the people of the street out for a hang out. The cakes are SO GOOD. She cooks a dairy free cake every week just for me and my fiancée.

It's very quaint and I have to stop the eccentric dickhead part of my personality from just swearing and being endlessly facetious and stupid, but I appreciate it so much. They're all incredibly welcoming and I'm so happy here. We're all nicely connected, so much so that one of them moved out recently and got wind of us needing a lawnmower, so they fuckin gave us a Flymo in perfect working order and a big plastic garden storage box for FREE. It honestly doesn't feel like London a lot of the time.

flotemysost

I posted about them in the Nightmare Housemates thread, but my current flatmates (as of quite recently - I'm the new one in the flat) are incredibly sound, I really feel like I've hit the jackpot tbh. Both are healthcare workers and so are reasonable about COVID stuff, but also appreciate that this has been a truly shit time (it helps that they're in the same boat as me in that they're single early-thirty-somethings, and have similar interests so can understand craving live music, human connections, etc.) It's massively helping my mental health living here, after feeling like complete dogshit for the majority of 2020 and the start of 2021. I hope things stay this way.

My neighbours in my previous flat when I lived alone seemed like a riot (in a good way), two Polish ladies, an artist and a dancer I think. If it wasn't for that pesky 'vid I'd absolutely have invited them in for a drink or several.

Haven't met the neighbours in this flat, but despite being incredibly central, the street has a really nice residential community feel and people are always chatting on each others' doorsteps and front gardens. It's unusually affordable despite being smack in the middle of gentrification o'clock, so posh twatty up themselves thirty-somethings are few and far between (except for me, of course).

TrenterPercenter

I've got lovely neighbours; lovely lady next door; she has had a brain injury so can be a bit scatty but she is lovely and we've told her we are looking out for her (she has a nasty ex that has tried to bother her a few times).  Otherside we've got a newish couple; lad from South Africa who is currently upset about the size of my BBQ (he is blatently going to try and Jonesy me when his garden is done) and his wife who is tiny but used to be (might still be) a professional body builder.  The street I live on now though is incredibly friendly and communal; we've got two Facebook groups one for a yearly street party (originally started in remembrance of Jo Cox) and another which is just for neighbours to help each other out and give each other things that they no longer need.  In the last year; we've had an organised team of helpers getting all the old folks and vulnerable people whatever they needed through the covids with dedicated WhatsApp groups and door knockers for those without tinternet, a collection that raise something like 2-3k to provide presents for poorer families in the district next along (quite infamous for poverty) and a Santas parade for the street so the kids could see it all from their windows.

Bloody do gooders!

Jockice

As for the rest of the street, I don't know many of them. The mum of a schoolmate lives a bit further down (the parents of another boy from my year also lived somewhere on here but I wasn't really friends with him so don't know the exact number or if they're still here), a speech therapy student I was friends with lived next door to her but has now moved away) and a bloke I knew through the local music scene (he ran world music nights) is nearer the bottom. All on the same side. The only one I knew from the opposite side (he goes to the same gym) has split up from his wife - who I don't know - and has moved to the other end of the city.

I am a member of the WhatsApp group for my road and the others around it and although there's a bit of pettiness (the highlight of which was a 'how dare you use my skip!' followed by a photo of someone putting ONE piece of wood in there) and a lot about students being noisy and parking problems, neither of which bother me, mainly because there are no students in my flats and I have my own space* it's ok.

There's a lot of offers of help/unwanted items and the odd social event, like the socially-distanced street parties with sounds from Mr World Music. I haven't been able to attend these yet as they were on weekends when I was away but should be around for the next one. There's also going to be a bat-spotting night next month which I'm definitely going to. So it's not a bad place to live.

(*I live at the very top of the road. There are no houses opposite but there is a prep school so at certain times the place is blocked with yummy mummies in 4x4s. I used to set off for work not long after 8 and would often find I'd be unable to get my car out. I'd beep my horn to try and get the blocker to move. And receive a friendly wave back. I don't think you quite understand love. I want you to FUCKING SHIFT! NOW! I rarely have to go or come back at a certain time now but if I do happen to be on the road near school start or finish times the place is absolutely chocka. So I'm all for the residents' committee calling to bomb the posh twats or whatever.)

holyzombiejesus

I had someone move in to the bedsit next to mine and she let me have sex with her! On her first night, she couldn't get any electric and so asked if she could watch tv with me in my flat. She bought us some beers (Skol if I remember correctly) and then we just had it off. It was the same week that Back in Denim came out too. If she came back from being out late, she'd knock on my window and I'd let her in and we'd just do it, easy as you like. It was ace. She worked in River Island and made me promise I would never ever come in to her work to see her which I guess I should have been offended by but I had no interest in ever going to River Island or even talking to her really. It was just nice feeling like someone's worthless little fuckdog. In the end she moved out and took my alarm clock and one of my Charles Bukowski books with her but I just went out and shoplifted replacements.

holyzombiejesus

My current house is a bit shit. There's a decrepit old crone who lives in this kind of hovel (we all call it 'the cave') attached to our house and she keeps stealing our food. Last night, my wife made a homemade apple pie, a really fantastic homemade apple pie, and we saw her just lean in to our kitchen and snaffle it.  This morning, she'd sneaked in to the kitchen and took our bag of veg, white and purple aubergines, small nutty courgettes and acid sweet tomatoes, claiming them as her own. Worst thing though is her awful language. Always swearing and calling people cunts. Eurgh!

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 22, 2021, 08:43:53 PM
I had someone move in to the bedsit next to mine and she let me have sex with her! On her first night, she couldn't get any electric and so asked if she could watch tv with me in my flat. She bought us some beers (Skol if I remember correctly) and then we just had it off. It was the same week that Back in Denim came out too. If she came back from being out late, she'd knock on my window and I'd let her in and we'd just do it, easy as you like. It was ace. She worked in River Island and made me promise I would never ever come in to her work to see her which I guess I should have been offended by but I had no interest in ever going to River Island or even talking to her really. It was just nice feeling like someone's worthless little fuckdog. In the end she moved out and took my alarm clock and one of my Charles Bukowski books with her but I just went out and shoplifted replacements.

Was it worth it to end up having the umbrella of shame down your pipe?

Custard

How comes you've all got lovely neighbours? The ones here barely say hello, let alone organise WhatsApp groups and street parties. Deffo no shagging

Well jel

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 22, 2021, 09:20:33 PM
How comes you've all got lovely neighbours? The ones here barely say hello

The best kind of neighbours. I hate stepping out of my house and having to discuss the fucking weather with a woman who goes to the gym. I find myself becoming a character and saying weird things like "and long may it continue!!!"