Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Newspaper Cartoon called "Those Kids Today" or something similar

Started by blisterman, July 19, 2021, 05:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blisterman

I can find no evidence of this online, but I remember there was a cartoon in one of the free newspapers you used to get in London. About 2007/2008.
It was called "Those Kids Today" or something similar, and it was possibly the worst comic I've ever seen.

The premise was basically Kids today are obsessed with technology, and don't understand old references. The kids are drawn like little crudely drawn trolls in hoodies.

A typical strip went along the lines of.

"Hey Do you want to play football?"
"Yeah. I love Football"
The final panel shows them actually playing a football game on a Playstation.With an unnecessary speech bubble of one of them saying "This is great".

Can anyone please put me out of my misery and say they remember it? I've tried Googling every variation of the title I can find.

Avril Lavigne

I have no idea but thanks for posting this, your summary of the strip cracked me up.

lazyhour

Don't know, sorry, but there are tons of shit comics along these lines out there.

Chuckle!

mippy

There was a horrible what-we-now-call boomer art style one in the Metro around that time, but that seemed to be more general.

Also the v.twee Em Cartoons.

paruses

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 19, 2021, 09:51:53 PM
the worst comic strip ever is Nemi. no debate.

No argument from me but didn't someone post something about them being taken from longer strips with more context? Am thinking maybe it was on Rule of Three (Farside ep).

Gurke and Hare

What about the copyright-taunting "I Don't Believe It"?

mippy

mippy

I just had a good ol search to find the strio, and remembered there was also a dreadful one in the evening freesheets called The Omnipresent, ironically with no internet presence at all.

Quote from: paruses on July 19, 2021, 10:13:24 PM
No argument from me but didn't someone post something about them being taken from longer strips with more context? Am thinking maybe it was on Rule of Three (Farside ep).

You do have to read the T. Vaak translation to be able to fully understand the ongoing meta-arc concerning Nemi's obsession with eggs and crow.

idunnosomename

i've not seen a Metro in years. does it still have Pearls Before Swine in it? that was ok. and got Bill Watterson to do some art again and everyone went wild.

zomgmouse

It's not Sickos is it?

While trying to find the name of it I stumbled across some very sad information that
Spoiler alert
these are actually parody cartoons for the Onion
[close]

idunnosomename

Kelly is the best thing in The Onion nowadays. it's the one time slamming a very limited set of jokes (nuclear family, crying statue of liberty, cartoonist comments) really pays off for the paper which is otherwise a bit meh most of the time

he actually pre-dates (2006) Ben Garrison taking up cartooning (about 2010)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Sutton

13 schoolyards

Quote from: blisterman on July 19, 2021, 05:46:39 PM
I can find no evidence of this online, but I remember there was a cartoon in one of the free newspapers you used to get in London. About 2007/2008.
It was called "Those Kids Today" or something similar, and it was possibly the worst comic I've ever seen.

The premise was basically Kids today are obsessed with technology, and don't understand old references. The kids are drawn like little crudely drawn trolls in hoodies.

A typical strip went along the lines of.

"Hey Do you want to play football?"
"Yeah. I love Football"
The final panel shows them actually playing a football game on a Playstation.With an unnecessary speech bubble of one of them saying "This is great".

Can anyone please put me out of my misery and say they remember it? I've tried Googling every variation of the title I can find.

This is basically the "youse wanna play stickball" gag from The Simpsons, which to be fair is an excellent gag

"The Kids of Today" by Neil Kerber in London Lite:

Quote from: LeboviciAB84 on November 17, 2007, 03:26:02 PM
Bah, Quote . . . Unquote is harmless fun. Can't we have something to honour Neil Kerber's strip in London Lite? Here's a representative sample:

You anti-Nemites don't know you're born.

Quote from: LeboviciAB84 on November 20, 2007, 02:36:08 PM

Quote from: steven583699 on November 20, 2007, 02:44:51 PM

https://sheu.org.uk/sheux/SHEUNews/may11.pdf

QuoteThe Kids of Today (June 28, 2007)
   "Isn't That How We Broke In Here in the First Place?"* (The
   Kids of Today, June 28, 2007) / by Neil Kerber. -- Summary:
   The saying about not throwing stones in glass houses is
   reconsidered. -- From London Lite (London, England). --
   Call no.: PN6726 f.B55 "glass houses"
https://comics.lib.msu.edu/rri/srri/saw.htm

Quote from: mippy on July 19, 2021, 10:39:54 PM
I just had a good ol search to find the strio, and remembered there was also a dreadful one in the evening freesheets called The Omnipresent, ironically with no internet presence at all.

PlanktonSideburns

madhair60

Fred Basset is worse and doesn't even have a lead character I want to fuck

madhair60

mippy

Does The Star still run Judge Dredd? They also had a crap rip-off of George And Mildred with a woman whose clothes constantly fell off.

retsuza

IMO Kelly is genius satire, there's something about how the character is a cynical boomer but not a laser-focused hard-right bigot like Garrison. And it is very funny that they predate the sincere nonsense of Garrison.

My favourite:

idunnosomename

The Kids of Today would be better if there was a cynical gen x'r putting himself at the bottom right

mippy

"Kerber (also known as Neil) is one of the UK's leading national newspaper cartoonists, who for over 25 years has been helping to bring a smile (and occasionally a loud belly laugh) to those who regularly read his doodles. His cartoon style has been described as warm, silly, cute, and extremely easy on the eye, ...which is very important when getting a message across. Kerber's main work includes creating daily topical cartoons for a well known national newspaper for many years, and the long-running & popular "Supermodels" strip in the prestigious satirical magazine Private Eye. Kerber's cartoons have been published in several well known publications, including regular slots in the likes of GQ, Vogue.co.uk, and many other popular national newspapers and magazines.

Neil also enjoys fine cigars"

'Supermodels' is probably worse than the yob one, the work of someone whose cultural engagement ceased in 1995.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteHis cartoon style has been described as warm, silly, cute, and extremely easy on the eye, ...which is very important when getting a message across.

Said message being 'Eurgh! Aren't those chav kids so uniformly horrid, violent, ugly and spoilt!'

Yeah. I can feel the warmth from over here.

poodlefaker

Yeah, he's worse than Kipper Williams. I seem to remember the thing about Nemi is that it was written in Norwegian (?) but instead of being translated, was re-written in English with jokes that vaguely fitted the images. Like Eric Thompson did with The Magic Roundabout, but not as good.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteYeah, he's worse than Kipper Williams.

Harsh! Well, The Lady And The Wimp was quite funny, shame about everything else that he's done...

And yeah, now that you mention it, I suspect that Nemi was re-written rather poorly. I doubt that a Norwegian would be so au fait with the Wombles, for one thing.

turnstyle

Quote from: mippy on July 20, 2021, 08:53:15 AM

Can someone explain this to me, I'm really struggling with it.

I starting playing around with the phrase 'poverty gap', but suspect I'm massively over thinking it.

mippy

I haven't a clue, hence posting it here. The same cartoonist used to do one where one guy says to the other "I was on the bus today and, do you know, everyone was speaking English??" so I'm guessing it's not a socially aware gag.

I have a big soft spot for Kipper Williams as he used to do the toons for Smash Hits back in the day, including the yearbook one, 'The Amazing Adventures of Bubbles (He's A Chimp!)'

jobotic